Running with Vibrams

Options
Started running with Vibram FiveFinger shoes recently. I absolutley love it! When I was running with traditional running shoes, my feet would get heavy and feel numb after a while and I would start to get cramps in my legs. I would try running for a few weeks and quit. With my Vibrams, my feet are essentially bare and can act naturally and I can't believe how far I've come in such a short period of time. Up to 3.5 miles already in three weeks! No shin splints and no cramps! I make sure I get the proper stretching in before and after running. Love running on soft terrain and on hills now for a challenge and am planning on my first 5k in September! Woo hoo!! :happy:

Replies

• Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!

I just bought myself a pair last night. I hope my result with them parallels your success.
  • starryeyedwonder
    Options
    My husband swears by Vibrams and only works out barefoot. Only problem with them is they get stinky REAL fast. I make him take them off in the garage!

Our kids call him frog man when he wears them. :)
  • Dakota1235
    Options
    I advise you to go very slowly with the VFF's. They are wonderful, but many people have had small fractures in their feet from the lack of cushioning. Basically you need to strengthen the muscles, tendons, and bones in your feet first, and it can take some time to do that.
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have been using these shoes for about 9 months now and I can say that I will never go back to "normal" shoes I love them!!!!!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My husband swears by Vibrams and only works out barefoot. Only problem with them is they get stinky REAL fast. I make him take them off in the garage!

Our kids call him frog man when he wears them. :)

My boyfriend is also a FIRM believer in those shoes. Thank goodness they can be popped in the washer :laugh: :laugh:

I plan on getting a pair this summer. He said playing tennis and bike rider was so much easier.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm attracted to the concept but I am assuming that I can't wear them. I have plantar fasciitis and usually require inserts, which are obviously not an option the the Vibrams. But I am only making an assumption. Am I right?
  • Larry1369
    Larry1369 Posts: 59
    Options
    In on this crew.
    I tried vibrams, but now I'm using skele-toes.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm attracted to the concept but I am assuming that I can't wear them. I have plantar fasciitis and usually require inserts, which are obviously not an option the the Vibrams. But I am only making an assumption. Am I right?

My hubby and I just bought VFF last night. He's training for his 2nd marathon (later this month) and has PF and uses inserts as well. He mentioned to the salesperson that he doubted the VFF were for him bc of the PF. The response? People with PF should definitely try VFF bc that will supposedly cure them. DH is not planning to try the transition to the VFF until after the marathon and plans to follow the salesperson's suggestion of doing his normal run in his normal shoes and then starting with 5 minutes of running in the VFF. We'll see what happens....
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options

Just do a google search on vff's and pf. You will find a lot of info how it's helped a ton of people. I also want you to google "Active release technique and plantar fascitis" Look up the videos. You will be surprised if you haven't heard of A.R.T.

I was a VFF's wearer for a year. Ran several 5ks, and a half marathon in them. I find that I need more forefoot cushion on longer runs, so I've been running in a more cushioned minimal shoe. I will be adding my vff's back into my shorter runs.

VFF's can be tossed in the wash to rid them of the stink! If you spray them off with a hose after each run, that keeps them from getting stinky too. Just don't put them in the dryer.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Just do a google search on vff's and pf. You will find a lot of info how it's helped a ton of people. I also want you to google "Active release technique and plantar fascitis" Look up the videos. You will be surprised if you haven't heard of A.R.T.

I was a VFF's wearer for a year. Ran several 5ks, and a half marathon in them. I find that I need more forefoot cushion on longer runs, so I've been running in a more cushioned minimal shoe. I will be adding my vff's back into my shorter runs.

VFF's can be tossed in the wash to rid them of the stink! If you spray them off with a hose after each run, that keeps them from getting stinky too. Just don't put them in the dryer.

Thanks for the info. I am at work so no time to research now but I will google as you recomend soon. Sounds encouraging!