Different scales, different results

Options
Yesterday I did my weigh-in and the gym. The scale is newer than the scale at my house (which must be 17 years old) and I thought "ok surely this will be more accurate." My weight according to the gym was 154.8.

This morning I woke up, used the restroom, got on the scale and was 155 according to the scale at home. I meant to check the scale yesterday and didn't, so I got a 15 pound weight and placed it on the scale. It read 15 pounds.

So I got on the scale again and depending on how I position my feet I discovered I weigh more or less. With my feet parallel and right next to each other I weigh less. With my feet in a V with heels together (like I typically weigh myself) I weigh more. And if my feet are parallel but apart, I weigh the same as if my feet were in a V.

Also, less than a month ago the scales at the doctor's office read as low as 153.

Why so many variations? I don't want to weigh 154 one day and wake up the next and be 156 overnight.

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the exact number. No two scales will be exactly the same. Just worry about the change. Factors could be the time of day, water weight, clothing, etc.

Stick to one scale.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Foxxybrown is so right.. Stick with one, and measure yourself, and how your clothes fit.
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Don't worry about the exact number. No two scales will be exactly the same. Just worry about the change. Factors could be the time of day, water weight, clothing, etc.

Stick to one scale.

Agreed. Stick to one scale and always weigh yourself on that particular scale. Weight fluctuations can vary as much as 5 pounds depending on the scale. If your plan is to lose weight then the scale will track that and dont worry about the overall number.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    yes, stick to one scale to be the "official" weight... and the same time of day as well.... on top of that, always just be sure you are standing in the same position on the scale that way it's always an accurate reflection of what you have accomplished. As for the up and down weight...that happens to everyone... no matter their size/weight/etc... it's a matter of if you are holding water for some reason, if you need to go to the restroom, etc... that's why I stick to one day a week to weigh so I don't see those daily fluctuations.. they are too frustrating