Poll: pregnancy after weightloss

Options
I have 3 children and would like to have one more in the future after I returnto my pre pregnancy weight... I have never been thin but I've been average. My question is: after all the hard work of losing the weight would any one here be a little nervous about getting pregnant and gaining again?

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I know I would be. I didn't actively decide to loose the baby weight after my daughter (she was almost 2 when I seriously began to shed to lbs) untill I was sure I didn't want another. But atleast when then time comes you'll know that you can loose the weight when you put your mind to it, so maybe it will be easier?
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    It's a little daunting, but if you lose the weight and get in shape, you can continue your good habits through your pregnancy. You can still eat right and excersize, and you won't gain huge amounts.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi,I have 5 children the first 3 in my 20's last 2 in my early 30's,I found once I went to weightwatchers when each was about 12 weeks old I lost the weight fairly rapidly,I was breast feeding and that helped enourmously,I find now in my early 40s with pregnancy well behind me that its harder to keep my weight down I have to watch it really closely,I think as you get older its a bit slower to loose weight,I think pregnancy weight managed properly will take care of it self,all the bestto you!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I think if you have worked hard to lose the weight and understand that you are not eating for 2 then you should only gain the recommended weight...your calorie needs only rise a little and not until the 2nd trimester. I am a member of another board where there is a pregnancy section, the vast majority do well at keeping their weight gain to the recommended level. Nothing stopping you calorie counting when pregnant...keep it at maintenance level for first 12 weeks, add 200-300 calories to maintenance level for next 12 weeks and add 400-500 calories to maintenance level for the remainder of your pregnancy and if breastfeeding.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I am losing weight knowing full well that I want another baby - but I'm seeing it as a good thing - means I'll be much healthier when I'm pregnant!!

Also - I'll have a lovely baby bump worthy of showing off, unlike the bump hidden under a layer of nasty fat when I was pregnant with my son - i kept that away from the public eye ;o)
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I will be nervous because I gained 100lbs with my first and I really really don't want to gain it again! I am making a lifestyle change for many reasons and having baby #2 in the future is definitely on top of my list :)
  • DawnBelle
    DawnBelle Posts: 56
    Options
    I lost 64 lbs, and I'm pregnant now. I'm a little worried, but I know I did it once and I can do it again. Just eat right and exercise and you should be fine! :)
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I am loseing weight and want to before I have my next child. I developed preeclampsia at the end of my last pregnancy ( I think it started sooner but my doctor didn't check into it until my protien levels were off the charts!) I had to have a c-section 3 weeks early. I want to try to have a natural child birth next time ( my mom and sister had to have c-sections so i'm not sure this is possible) or at least not have to go on bed rest!! Losing weight will help my chances for a v-back. Being healthy before and during my pregnancy will also help me lose the weight easier after I give birth.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I actually went through it. I met my goal weight in January of 2009 after losing 135 pounds! That same week, I found out I was pregnant!! LOL! Talk about a test!

But, I kept the weight off. Did not gain anymore than I had to and continued to be active and healthy as long as my body allowed me to.

The thing is, even when you're supposed to eat MORE during a pregnancy..the extra amount is only enough for a yogurt and a piece of fruit. So many go nuts and eat eat eat in pregnancy when it's not necessary. :)

I was actually told I was the healthiest pregnant woman some had seen!!

And an added thing is that I asked to separate from my husband at about 6 months pregnant. So add a nasty divorce too. You are in control and only you can allow life to get in the way. There are always choices and you are the one to make poor or healthy ones!!

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    I reached my goal weight in October of 2009 and found out that I was pregnant the same week! :happy: I went through a very stressful, emotional time and did gain a bit more than I wanted to. Right now my little man is 9 months old and I am 7 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I am planning on losing a bit extra this time. I am still nursing almost exclusively because he has problems with food, so I am trying to make the right choices for both of us. I could get the weight off faster, but I am trying to do it the right way for the right reasons! :smile:
  • SmartestRat
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds before I had my two kids by making a big lifestyle change. I had the first and gained the 40 pounds back, but I lost it 6 weeks after the birth by breastfeeding and maintaining the healthy lifestyle. With the second, I only gained 20 pounds (should have gained more) and lost it +10 pounds within a few months- again, by breastfeeding, eating well, and staying active.

Rather than losing pregnancy weight, I found maintaining a healthy lifestyle after having babies the hardest. I had a harder time making good choices because I was busy/sleep-deprived and looking for quick fixes for dinner and snacks. Because of this, my weight crept back up later on, and I've just now gotten serious with those nagging, lingering ten pounds.
  • amym107
    amym107 Posts: 5
    Options
    I do worry a bit, but not a ton. One of my goals is to loose weight in order to have a healthier pregnancy next time around!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I believe being healthy and fit will help my body endure pregnancy and recover from it easier than if I were to get pregnant being unhealthy and overweight like I am now, so you would still want to get in the best shape you can before having another child because it will benefit you.
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    With my son, I only gained 20 pounds (this was ok with my Dr, as I was overweight), which I lost within 10 days of him being born. I also did prenatal water aerobics twice per week. I think now that I have found this website, and having my Dr set how many calories I should be eating....I will be able to do the same! I think weighing less the next pregnancy will be very beneficial to me and my baby.