Rough Weekend HELP!!!

Options
Ok guys! I had a rough weekend filled with too many calories. I'm a single mother of three who is desperate to lose weight. So far I have been really good about checking in and keeping up with my food diary, but this weekend I just went overboard. I didn't log my food intake because I was too ashamed. We had three birthday parties which meant cake, ice cream and pizza. I tried really hard to resist but I don't think i did very well. Then on Sunday, my mother fixed a huge meal and I just love mama's cooking. Now I'm just down and out. I need to lose weight. I don't want to be fat anymore, but I need help getting back on track. Please help!!!

Replies

• erica2h
    erica2h Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's a new day, forget the weekend, and start back to healthy today!Keeping track on here is what keeps me on task, we had b-day parties this weekend too, I went for a 3 mile run before each one so I wouldn't feel so guilty later, but start fresh today!!!:wink:
  • tbf1
    tbf1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Sounds like you have done really well leading up to this weekend ...everyone comes off the rails sometimes - the important thing is not to think all is lost but to get back to healthy ways as once the weekend is over. See this weekend as a mini treat or reward for yourself and don't beat yourself up.

Look at last week overall and not just over the 2 days

Good luck
  • hyonkers
    hyonkers Posts: 2
    Options
    Today is a new day! Next time you are being tempted, just remember how you felt about this past weekend.
  • eatingmysandshoe
    Options
    Me too! I had several family occasions over the weekend, plus visitors, plus Mother's Day here in the UK. I tried to moderate what I ate but don't think I did very well. BUT today is another day and I'm back on it now. You can't stop life happening, and just because you slipped for a couple of days that doesn't have to turn into another day/week/month of unhealthy eating. Just draw a line under it, pick yourself up and start from scratch. You can do it!
  • JoyPence
    JoyPence Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey Amy-- don't loose heart. It was just one bad weekend of many more good ones to come. Think of it as a learning experience and next time plan ahead. Remember how you felt after eating all that stuff and determine in your heart and mind that next time you will do better. Don't beat yourself up. Start brand new today. Drink your water, exercise. Most important that even if you eat bad--track it so possibly you can make better food choices to offset that the rest of the day!!

Hang in there!!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi! The fact that you are on this site is a positive move, well done! The past is just that, the past. Each day is new, so don't beat yourself up over a day of weakness, look to today to reach your calorie goals, go for a walk if you can, you'll feel better for it!

best regards, David
  • Jackie0127
    Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't let one error keep you from achieving your goal. Losing weight takes a lot of dedication and TIME! So, don't worry about it too much ... Brush it off and keep trying. We all have those days, but the main thing is how you "fix" it. Keep looking forward. In no time, you'll be by your goal weight.

Plan out your meals for the week (including the weekend) and there'll be less room to make an unhealthy choice.

Good luck!! :Smile:
  • brafordrm
    brafordrm Posts: 19
    Options
    Ah. Don't stress yourself. We all have these days and adding extra stress on yourself from a little guilty eating is not going to help put your body into the right mode. All you can do is not give up because I guarantee you, there will be more days just like this. It may ease your mind and your body a bit if you add a little bit of exercise every day this week. Nothing too extreme, but 20 minutes or so of extra exercise can slowly make up for the calories that you packed on. Try to pay extra attention this week to the things you put into yourself.

If you are used to the full tummy feeling and find yourself constantly hungry, fasting teas help for me. Even if you aren't actually fasting, they have ingredients that help take away some of that impulsive desire to eat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you went overboard - stop wasting time and energy beating yourself up about it - that's a waste. Instead, take that time and energy and start working on yourself. I wouldn't even spend much time analyzing why you let yourself do that (although, it might be good, a little self analysis never hurts). The most important thing is to start thinking about how you're going to deal with that next time.

I know cake and ice cream and pizza are tough temptations to face - they're three of my worse enemies!! In my mind, it's ok to have some, just don't go crazy. Have a reasonable serving of each, let your body be satisfied with that, stop obsessing about the food and concentrate of socializing with the other people there.

Facing Mom's cooking is tough too. Maybe make sure she knows you're trying to lose weight and ask her to cook lighter options or offer to cook for her instead so you can choose something healthy yet delicious.
  • taraleola05
    taraleola05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I went a little overboard this past weekend too, you're human, it happens!!! As long as you can be determined enough to work on today and the next to do better, that's all that matters. I felt a little guilty too this past weekend, then I thought, I've been doing so well, I needed that little breather :) If you can find some sort of positive out of this, the better. If you think this is too hard and you can't do it, you're right, but if you think that you can do better, you WILL! Today is a new day, treat yourself with a bowl of fresh fruit :)

Tara Leola*~
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Aw it was just two days. It's happened now. Forget about it and carry on with your good work. It's only a problem if you do the same for the next 5 days. But you won't, it'll be fine.
  • MamaBrownBear
    Options
    I had a bad Sunday and I just didn't log my food as well. I knew I did bad, I didn't need to see the calories. HOWEVER, up I got this morning at 6:00 am to do my 30-day shred DVD and I'm back at it again today. That's what you have to do...realize what you did and go on...don't continue to have bad day after bad day after bad day.

LIFE is about events and celebrations and on those days, you allow yourself the treat, but you keep going with your weight loss goals. Don't kick yourself repeatedly for what you did yesterday...pick yourself back up and move on sista! You can do it!
  • durand413
    Options
    I think we all fall into this every once and awhile. My weekend wasn't too great, but I just know that today is a new day and I am going to be back on tracking and watching what I eat. The biggest adjustment you have to make is learning to say no. You went to 3 birthday parties, so you knew going into it that there was at least going to be cake and ice cream. Next time, try eating something before you go to the party, that way you aren't hungry when you are there. Or bring a healthy snack instead. I love food too but I love that I have lost weight more. It's hard, but we are all in this together with the same goals in mind. Don't worry, you'll get there.
  • adburt
    adburt Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, it's Monday!! Start over!!! Let go of the weekend, you can't change it and beating yourself up over won't help either. Recommit yourself to making better choices. Goodluck!!:happy:
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ok! The weekend is gone, forget about it and get back to doing what worked for you before. Chalk it up to a SLIP and keep reminding yourself that you want to change for you. You can do this!!!

Don't beat yourself up, we all have bad days and/or weekends. I have had these times too, as I am sure alot of people on here can say also.

You fell of the horse, now get back up on it and ride!!!
  • Colie001
    Colie001 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi amydanell,
    I totally am right there with you. I woke up today feeling really guilty about my food choices over the weekend. I didn't track all weekend either because I was ashamed of what I ate. This morning I told myself I was going to track everything and stay in my calorie goal for the day. I'm also going to make sure to get my excercise in today and really try to let go of the negative feelings I have about the weekend. If we beat ourselves up about them, we're only going to make ourselves feel worse, and I don't know about you, but when I feel bad about myself its like I just continue to make bad chocies. So with that being said, today is a new day. Acknowledge the bad decisions that were made, learn from them, and move on. Take one day at a time. Follow your plan today and tomorrow you'll wake up feeling great....and that is what will get you back on track!
  • amydanell
    amydanell Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words. I think that I'm in such a hurry to lose weight that any set back just feels a million times worse than it should. Being newly single makes me that much more anxious about the weight. You are all right. I have to start anew today. So far, I have done well!! After a rough weekend, is it okay to cut back and be under my calorie mark today or is that just counterproductive?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a failure. Think of it as a detour. Things happen. We make wrong turns. But we're still going to get where we're going. It just might take a little longer.

And you should make an effort to log your food, even when you're embarrassed. Remember that it takes about 3500 calories over your MAINTENANCE calories, not your daily allotted MPF calories, to gain one pound. So you'd have to go over by about 4000 calories to actually do damage. And since you've stuck to your calories all the rest of the week, you'd still probably break even for the week. And that's assuming you went over by 4000. I doubt you did!

Pizza and ice cream and big home cooked meals aren't the enemy. That little voice in your head that tells you you've failed is the enemy. Tell that voice to shut up! :smile:

Granted, your scale might show a gain because of the sodium in the food, but it's not a real gain. Drink lots of water, and avoid the scale for the rest of the week.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, today's a new day. Concentrate on making the best choices you can make today.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about not wanting to track what you ate. But -- I encourage you to consider doing it anyway. Here's why.

You're gonna get back on track now, right? Being able to look back on those I-wish-they'd-never-happened-days is a GREAT reminder that you can DO this thing. A couple of bad days will not -- and DID NOT -- defeat you. Tomorrow or the next day or next week or next month, you can look back on this weekend and realize that it was just a momentary lapse. And you'll know that you got back on track, and YOU WON. For me, that's pretty empowering. :)

The weekend is history now, and today is a bright new day. Go for it!