THIGHS

Options
How long does it takes to see progress in the thigh area?

Replies

• maurapie
    maurapie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've read that the butt and thighs are usually the last places for women to lose (for men it's the belly). Everyone is different though, and you can help by toning up your legs
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    Someone once told me you lose weight starting at the top, and ending at the bottom. I have found this to be true for me as well, my thighs are (and continue to be) the last place I lose weight.

My most significant losses have come from my chest (36DD to a 34C) and my bum (Size 14 pant to a Size 4-6). Perhaps it is just my skewed vision of myself, but I still think my thighs are "thunder-y". Perhaps it is the fact that I still have cellulite regardless of losing 50+lb?

Either way, I think it is important to take genetics into account when looking at body structure. My mother and grandmother are both pear shaped, and I am too. I have come to accept that I will always be bottom-heavy.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: I hope you have more success in your thigh-losses than myself!
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    thats actually the first place i see results. ive always had thicker thighs so when i do workout they tone up easier than my stomach or arms. it usually takes me about 3 weeks of 5 days cardio/3 days weights a week to see definition
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well, I really think it all has to do with genetics. I am 4'11" and down to 112lbs.....but my thighs still are almost touching. The more I workout, the more round my upper thighs become. I don't mind...thick thighs are sexy!!. I don't think that I'll ever be a woman with the thighs that you could pass a folder through.............nope, probably won't happen. If you have that body structure then it might happen for you, but honestly it's not a milestone at all. It happens for some and not others no matter the size.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This is exactly right. The thigh and hips area is perfect for babies which is why women have such a hard time losing it. This kind of goes against the fact that the breast area is where weight is lost FIRST. I guess milk ducts are all the same regardless of the fat cells... or it's just unlucky.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a natural pear. What I've noticed is that while i lose the same number of inches a week, its more noticeable in my arms (where 0.5" is a big deal) and way less so lower (0.5" is really nothing there). But my thighs are the most stubborn :P Its annoying how my arms are the first to show a change and they need it the least...but it will all get there eventually.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I've read that the butt and thighs are usually the last places for women to lose (for men it's the belly). Everyone is different though, and you can help by toning up your legs

How depressing! That's the biggest part of me. Lawd, I can't wait to get rid of the badonkey and thighs! lol
  • natalie1872
    Options
    Hi, I too am pear shape.
    It used to worry me but now I see it as more femanine.
    As long as your losing weight and keeping healthy it will eventually come off from all areas.
    we all need to accept our bodies and make them the best possible for our unique shape.
    Spin class has been my most successful exercise for "Thigh" weight loss.

Cheers to all the sexy pears. xx
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Lost it from the thighs and butt first and didnt really need to. Wish the belly and 'chest' had gone down as fast. But I guess its right, we are all different:smile:
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing some progress, but the cellulite is depressing.
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too am pear shape.
    It used to worry me but now I see it as more femanine.
    As long as your losing weight and keeping healthy it will eventually come off from all areas.
    we all need to accept our bodies and make them the best possible for our unique shape.
    Spin class has been my most successful exercise for "Thigh" weight loss.

Cheers to all the sexy pears. xx

I agree...I used to be very self-conscious about my pear shaped body. However, as our celebrities have begun to embrace their curves...so have I. I love my pear shaped body as I find it feminine as well :)
  • maurapie
    maurapie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    On Jillian Michaels' website, she says this about pear-shaped women:

Like all pears, you tend to store fat in your lower body, so you're probably carrying extra weight around your hips, buttocks, and thighs. Anyone can be a pear, but this shape is more common among women, and it actually evolved because fat stored in these areas aids in fertility and breast-feeding. It's an interesting fact — but I know as well as anyone that this type of fat is harder to lose.

Not to worry! I have exercises that will target your fat storage areas. My personalized program will help you alter your pear shape. But you got to get a grip — you can only win against genetics up to a certain point. Once you understand this, you can let go of unreachable goals and replace them with real ones
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've read that you lose weight in the opposite order of how you gained it. So if you gain first in your thighs/butt, then your boobs and last your belly... then when you lose weight you will lose it first in your belly, then boobs, and finally in the thighs/butt.

For ME, I gain first in my boobs, belly, then thighs/butt. And sure enough, I see the most difference now in my bottom half and my boobs haven't changed at all yet.