Struggling...

Options
I have really struggled this last week.
I have stayed...pretty close to my calorie intake most days.
However, I hardly worked out AT ALL last week (which sucks cause I am doing P90X, which is a 90 day program and I basically missed a whole week). I have been sick and just bummed cause my fiance deployed (we are in the no/limited contact phase). All I keep thinking is, "I REALLY want to lose this weight before he comes home..." I break my major goal of 50lbs into smaller segments but I still feel the burden in my mind that I have the WHOLE 50 lbs to lose! It's driving me nuts.

I just can't seem to get remotivated to finish up this workout program and readjust my mentality about the foods I eat. Even though I keep to my calories, I know my diet can be soooo cleaned up...I've been scrimping the last week or so cause of lack of finances to pick up fresh/healthy foods to keep at work, which means eating WAY more at night then I am used to. I just need major guidance and refocusing.

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I have really struggled this last week.
    I have stayed...pretty close to my calorie intake most days.
    However, I hardly worked out AT ALL last week (which sucks cause I am doing P90X, which is a 90 day program and I basically missed a whole week). I have been sick and just bummed cause my fiance deployed (we are in the no/limited contact phase). All I keep thinking is, "I REALLY want to lose this weight before he comes home..." I break my major goal of 50lbs into smaller segments but I still feel the burden in my mind that I have the WHOLE 50 lbs to lose! It's driving me nuts.

I just can't seem to get remotivated to finish up this workout program and readjust my mentality about the foods I eat. Even though I keep to my calories, I know my diet can be soooo cleaned up...I've been scrimping the last week or so cause of lack of finances to pick up fresh/healthy foods to keep at work, which means eating WAY more at night then I am used to. I just need major guidance and refocusing.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I guess I am trying to figure out if I am just burned out on it all. I've been pushing myself since May...yeah...and only lost 6lbs. That was with workouts and trying to stay within calories (were a few vacations that interfered but for the most part consistent).

Maybe I should just re-group....
    If I should just focus on the calorie intake for a while and ease of the intense workouts (although I do love P90X). Maybe just do some light workouts less times a week (currently doing roughly an hour 6 days a week w/HRM)... I just don't know...

It's like I've lost all motivation. :sad:
  • gnu1971
    gnu1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What else positive can you look to for motivation? Did you measure? Have you felt different in your clothes? Saved money by not eating out (as much)? Had more energy? There are SO many benefits to shifting to a healthier lifestyle.

You can do it! Keep looking here for support - there are so many of us struggling day to day with work, husbands, kids, etc., etc. Sure, it's not easy, but again it's so worth it!

And, by the way, 6 lbs is 27% or your goal of 22 lbs. That's awesome!!!

Good luck!
    :smile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you're pretty down on yourself!
    I guess all I can say is, keep your chin up, and imagine just how great you're going to feel when you DO lose the weight that you want to. I know that I am flying sooooo high these days for having lost most of the weight that I wanted to lose! Try not to think of ALL that you need to lose, and just be grateful for each pound that comes off.
    If you're bored and not liking your exercise routine, try dancing to whatever fast songs you want to. It's sooooo much more fun than sweating it out at a gym, it's free, and it DOES work!
    As for foods, most days I have oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast. The oatmeal is in a huge canister, and doesn't cost very much at all. For lunches, salads with Wish Bone Rasberry Bliss Spritzer is pretty good, and also not terribly expensive. I have a Fiber One bar a few hours later when I start getting hungry again. And then I can have a fairly normal dinner and usually I have enough numbers left later on for a snack. My favorite choice is Edy's slow churned, no sugar added Maine Tracks. YUMMY!
    I hope you can use some of my ideas, and start feeling better about yourself!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    What else positive can you look to for motivation? Did you measure? Have you felt different in your clothes? Saved money by not eating out (as much)? Had more energy? There are SO many benefits to shifting to a healthier lifestyle.

You can do it! Keep looking here for support - there are so many of us struggling day to day with work, husbands, kids, etc., etc. Sure, it's not easy, but again it's so worth it!

And, by the way, 6 lbs is 27% or your goal of 22 lbs. That's awesome!!!

Good luck!

I didn't measure, because I always forget to re-measure.
    My clothes do fit different, so I know there is something happening.
    I haven't eaten out a lot, it's never really been an issue for me. However, the times I did I ended up losing weight.

The 22 lbs is a mini goal of the total 50 lbs I want to lose. I thought it would motivate me more to use smaller goals, but it hasn't.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Good luck!

^^^^ This!

You've lost 6 lbs since May, that is great compared to what I've done! I've lost 5 lbs since a YEAR AGO. Does that mean I haven't made any progress? Is 5 lbs nothing? What about how far I can run? Or how much I can lift? Or how I look? Should I really be concerned that I haven't lost 52 lbs just because there's 52 weeks in a year and I thought 1 lb/wk would be easy? Isn't it sort of silly to throw everything out the window just because the scale isn't showing me some tiny number?

Isn't it counter-intuitive to STOP when we feel like we haven't made progress? Doesn't it make more sense to GO when we feel we have work left to do?

It sounds like you're depressed because you miss your man, which is totally normal. That emotional exhaustion is also being interpreted as physical and mental exhaustion, which is totally normal too. But the last thing you want to do is give up all hope of reaching your goals and giving into the inner voice that tells you sitting on the couch eating chips is more fun than exercising and reaching your goals--it's NOT.

You know what you need to do--clean up your diet. So do it. Don't pay attention to the scale, just exercise for the heck of it. Yes, you need to take time off every few months. But don't mistake a lack of motivation for being truly overtrained and then fall off the wagon for a week. Schedule time off in an organized fashion just like you would your workouts. If you are ill, or have an injury, take unscheduled time off. Otherwise, make sure you're eating enough and resting enough and get back into the swing of things.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I guess all I can say is, keep your chin up, and imagine just how great you're going to feel when you DO lose the weight that you want to. I know that I am flying sooooo high these days for having lost most of the weight that I wanted to lose! Try not to think of ALL that you need to lose, and just be grateful for each pound that comes off.
    If you're bored and not liking your exercise routine, try dancing to whatever fast songs you want to. It's sooooo much more fun than sweating it out at a gym, it's free, and it DOES work!
    As for foods, most days I have oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast. The oatmeal is in a huge canister, and doesn't cost very much at all. For lunches, salads with Wish Bone Rasberry Bliss Spritzer is pretty good, and also not terribly expensive. I have a Fiber One bar a few hours later when I start getting hungry again. And then I can have a fairly normal dinner and usually I have enough numbers left later on for a snack. My favorite choice is Edy's slow churned, no sugar added Maine Tracks. YUMMY!

It's not so much down on myself....just blahed out by everything in general.
    My time is really limited, so I have to stick with a more "grab-n-go" approach sometimes when it comes to meals. I mean I have in the past lived on HG muffins and eggo nutrigran waffles for breakfast...which works...but then I may not get time to eat again til lunch or a little later...so it's a balancing act to get the food in I need, when I need it.
    Money issues aren't horrible when I finally get paid, but trying to pay off bills, gas (I commute 1 hr both ways every day to work), winterizing kiddos wardrobe, etc takes it toll by the end of the month....so sometimes I just don't buy the extra food to keep on hand besides my main meals...just cause I can't.

I am sounding like I am whinning and I hate that...I just don't know how to get that drive back to get this done.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Good luck!

^^^^ This!

You've lost 6 lbs since May, that is great compared to what I've done! I've lost 5 lbs since a YEAR AGO. Does that mean I haven't made any progress? Is 5 lbs nothing? What about how far I can run? Or how much I can lift? Or how I look? Should I really be concerned that I haven't lost 52 lbs just because there's 52 weeks in a year and I thought 1 lb/wk would be easy? Isn't it sort of silly to throw everything out the window just because the scale isn't showing me some tiny number?

Isn't it counter-intuitive to STOP when we feel like we haven't made progress? Doesn't it make more sense to GO when we feel we have work left to do?

It sounds like you're depressed because you miss your man, which is totally normal. That emotional exhaustion is also being interpreted as physical and mental exhaustion, which is totally normal too. But the last thing you want to do is give up all hope of reaching your goals and giving into the inner voice that tells you sitting on the couch eating chips is more fun than exercising and reaching your goals--it's NOT.

You know what you need to do--clean up your diet. So do it. Don't pay attention to the scale, just exercise for the heck of it. Yes, you need to take time off every few months. But don't mistake a lack of motivation for being truly overtrained and then fall off the wagon for a week. Schedule time off in an organized fashion just like you would your workouts. If you are ill, or have an injury, take unscheduled time off. Otherwise, make sure you're eating enough and resting enough and get back into the swing of things.

WHOA! I'm taking this awesome post and running with it.....though it wasn't written with me in mind, I'll take it anyway!! THANK YOU THANK YOU....for a nice kick in the butt....saving it for when I need one and now off to the gym I GO! Totally unsceduled weight lifting but you got me so wired & fired up I'm GOING just because it's something I not only love to do but now WANT to do right NOW!:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks SBS for all that you add to MFP.....my gratitude for your knowledge and kick butt attitude is more than words can say!!!!:smooched:
    Consider yourself HUGGED:heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Good luck!

^^^^ This!

WHOA! I'm taking this awesome post and running with it.....though it wasn't written with me in mind, I'll take it anyway!! THANK YOU THANK YOU....for a nice kick in the butt....saving it for when I need one and now off to the gym I GO! Totally unsceduled weight lifting but you got me so wired & fired up I'm GOING just because it's something I not only love to do but now WANT to do right NOW!:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks SBS for all that you add to MFP.....my gratitude for your knowledge and kick butt attitude is more than words can say!!!!:smooched:
    Consider yourself HUGGED:heart:

Awwwe thank YOU!

I'm glad I could be so motivational! Go show those weights who's boss! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

It's not so much down on myself....just blahed out by everything in general.
    My time is really limited, so I have to stick with a more "grab-n-go" approach sometimes when it comes to meals. I mean I have in the past lived on HG muffins and eggo nutrigran waffles for breakfast...which works...but then I may not get time to eat again til lunch or a little later...so it's a balancing act to get the food in I need, when I need it.
    Money issues aren't horrible when I finally get paid, but trying to pay off bills, gas (I commute 1 hr both ways every day to work), winterizing kiddos wardrobe, etc takes it toll by the end of the month....so sometimes I just don't buy the extra food to keep on hand besides my main meals...just cause I can't.

I am sounding like I am whinning and I hate that...I just don't know how to get that drive back to get this done.

In all honesty Bunny I don't think you sound whiney....I think you sound a bit depressed.....we don't always realize we are when it's low grade depression.... sometimes others notice it before we do.

You sound tired of not seeing the scale numbers shifting but SBS has some great points!

Scales I feel we way over use in looking for progress....yea, I've lost triple digits now on the scale but i could just as easily look on the other side and see I've got triple to go. But I don't because why would I????:laugh: It's awesome that I can move my body in ways I never could before, take classes that I never felt I belonged in before, I keep up with the best and fittest of them.....but it's not the number on the scale that tells me I can....it's my attitude and my body changing and my constant drive to move it forward and push it.

If I looked only to the scale I'd be home in bed under the covers sleeping out of depression.....honestly? I rarely think of the scale except when I stand on it....I weigh when I feel like it, I like how the numbers on my profile deal go up on one side, down on the others....makes me smile.

I do totally understand how easy it is to get caught up in scaleland....but for 99% of the folks that do....they seem to live an die by it....I DON'T want to be like that....I don't want a little metal box to control me that much that it tells me how I should feel, what I can do, what I can wear, where I can go in life.

Sure I get caught up in seeing others before and after pics and on a PMS type day I think what the hell's wrong with ME! over 100lbs down and I feel like somedays I don't look any different in the face or sometimes in the bod.

But then that moment passes someone on here makes me laugh, tells me I motivated them....and it really help take the focus off of ME. Life is NOT all about ME....when I was stuck in a rut and eating all crazy I think without knowing it I might actually have thought it was all about me. :cry:

I was so wrapped up in my own little world, never going out, never thinking I could DO anything, never allowing myself to be loved, either self love or by a friend....I totally disliked myself.

Now? other than those creepy freaky PMS moments/days I have LIFE IS GREAT!! I prefer now to look to others and cheer them on....there are SO many folks doing so many awesome things in this world, on this SITE!!

Finally it's not all about me....but OTHERS.....cheering on others certainly does bring back much joy to me and much gratitude....I'm paying it forward and by doing that it's changing my LIFE!:heart:

Ok, then:laugh: ....off to make the Salsa Chicken Crockpot recipe from MPF and then a bit later to do some strength training!:heart::drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Awwwe thank YOU!

I'm glad I could be so motivational! Go show those weights who's boss! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
    hug4.gif:flowerforyou: