Is walking enough?

Options
I can't run outside, but on the weekends I don't have anywhere to go but outside for work outs. I tried running a mile, but it didn't work. So I walked it instead. And while I was walking I wondered if it was really doing anything for me? How far/fast should walking be in order to get a good work out?Or can you get a good work out with just walking?

Replies

• Ravergirl717
    Ravergirl717 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You should try the couch potato to 5k program! It's very doable, incorporates walking and jogging! http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml there is even an app for your smart phone with the timers built in its called C25K, I'm starting it this week with a group of people!!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think walking ok, make sure you walk fast and stride out and include hill work too. I walk most days with the dogs and come back quite tired - we always set off uphill. I walk for about 40 - 60 mins, more at the weekends.

Good Luck
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Take your pulse before and during to see if you are raising it enough to be burning calories. Mine needs to be 116 to burn fat and 143 for a cardio workout . Many doctors are against running because of the stress and damage it does to knees and ankles. I personally walk my knees just can't handle running. I have been on MFP for two weeks and have lost 6 pounds so far:)
  • williefreeman
    Options
    It'd depend on your definition of "good". For me, I hate hate hate running. But I could walk all day love it. So I walk a lot. I don't burn as many calories, but I don't have high impact on my knees nor do I worry about "wearing out" as quickly.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Try looking up "Leslie Sansone Walk" on youtube, and do some of her videos (or order they if you don't want to watch on the computer). I thought I'd never be able to work up a sweat by just walking inside, but it worked! I held 2lb weights in each hand and did some extra arm movements to amp up my heartrate, and I was burning around 350 calories (I'm 202lbs) for 30 minutes of walking (2 miles).
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    i started walking 1 1/12 years ago and could barely do 1 mile in 20 min. Now i have done 4 1/2 marathons and many 5 & 10 Ks. I am down over 95 lbs and fee great. start with walking and take it where you want. jogging or running. this last month I even started road cycling. I love it all. I also do Power 90.

So yes walking is good. Just do your best and results will follow with proper nutrition.

Stay the course. You can do it. I;ll be glad to help if I can!
  • CindyWard4u
    CindyWard4u Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    3 years ago I lost 30 lbs by walking an avg of 10,000 steps per day and maintaining a 1500 calorie per day nutrition plan. It only took me 3 months! :) so...walking does work...but if you want to really do your body good you should incorporate some weight training eventually. Your body needs muscle in order to sustain itself in a healthy manor and muscle burns fat. :) Once I incorporated weight training and upped my calories by 200-300 per day I lost another 20 lbs in 3 more months.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Walking can burn plenty of cals, especially if you add hand weights/ankle weights or hills. Running will just burn more calories and will continue burning some after you finish, while walking won't so much.

I second the Couch to 5k recommendation! We have a specialty shoe store around here that co sponsors lots of 5k's and they do a couch-to-5k running club where they follow the program starting at week 1. That might be a great option if there's something like that in your area.
  • Toad100
    Toad100 Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been reading about this Nordic walking lark. Apparently its good for people like me who are, shall we say, overweight as a lot of the strain is taken off the joints in the legs. It also gives the upper body a workout too. I might just give this a go and let you know how I get on.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Walking is how I lost most of the 40 pounds I already lost. I've added some aerobic exercisingand strength training but I mostly walk.
  • tobeygirl45
    Options
    Walking is good for sure!!!....As long as it's not a stroll and you are walking at a good pace..adding arm movement helps to maintain the pace also!! Walk on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy:
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be if you are also watching what you eat, and walking regularly.
    It's how I've lost and kept off most of 72 pounds over five years. The 72 was probably too much, I gained 22 back, have lost most of that, and am now trying to lose the rest (I'd be really close if I not for a "bad" weekend -- lots of fun, but too much in, not enough exercise -- LOL). Just getting back on track today. I was 125 at my lowest, and now would like to range between 130-135....but honestly, any day the scale is less than 140, I'm a happy girl.:wink:
    Kaye
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Walking is pretty much my only source of exercise to be honest, bar my one hour pilates once a week. I try getting a daily walk in, which would be between 3-40 minutes.
    I got a "walking cd" downloaded on my iPod (Shape Walk) and the beat really helps to go for a very fast walk. It definitely gets my blood pumping around.

The only problem about walking (for me) is the weather. There's no way I'll be going out in the rain. So now for the first time ever, I've ordered a workout dvd, which I should have in the next few days, see how that goes for me.
  • MistaChrista11
    Options
    wow thank you all so much! I had this feeling that I would never lose weight if I didn't run! All your advice is very helpful :)
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for walking - I did hear somewhere (never got around to confirming it though!) that if you walk for 4 miles you will burn the same number of calories as if you run for 4 miles - it just takes longer! The key is to walk really briskly so you are out of breath. If you can incorporate somehills as well that's great!

B x
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Walking is actually a wonderful exercise. I've been a walker for years and even though I was eating too much, it's helped me to maintain my weight instead of gaining. I still love walking, but I've decided lately that I want to get into running because it helps to speed up your metabolism. I absolutely hated running and could barely even do 1/4 mile without my shins hurting and being totally out of breath. I've been doing the C25K program for 4 weeks now and have noticed a significant improvement in my stamina. My shins don't bother me anymore and I'm up to running about a 1/2 mile comfortably. In fact, I now look forward to my running days (3 times a week) because it even improves my mood and increases my energy levels. Also, running and walking in intervals is great for fat burning. I'm really enjoying it now! So I definitely second all the C25K recs you've gotten if you're truly interested in running. However, if you don't want to run, speed walking can burn a lot of calories and does wonders for your fitness as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    It is a place to start, but very quickly your body will adapt to it, and you will have to increase the intensity.

You don't need to get out of the house to get a good workout. For that matter you don't need any equipment either. A simple body weight workout can get your heart pumping and your muscles working and burn calories long after you finish working out.

A simple program would look something like this:

Warmup-- Run in place for 3-5 minutes slowly increasing your running speed as you go. You can mix in jumping jacks as well if you like. Basically the purpose of this is to warm your muscles up so they are loose and ready to workout. If you are not warm and starting to sweat by the end of it you either have to be a bit more intense in your warm-up or warm-up a little longer.

Workout:
    Squats -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqj1qjIA6E0
    Push-ups -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRLWMcOdwI
    Let-me-ins -- http://exercisegarage.com/let-me-in-a-body-weight-instructional-video/ (you need a door for this one)
    Good Mornings -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA9PrdoEo1o
    Plank -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I990Wbr1JE

A way to use these is either to do each exercise for a number of repetitions, rest, repeat a few times then move to the next exercise except for the plank which you hold for time.

A better way is to do each exercise for 10 repetition, then immediately move to the next exercise which you also do for 10 repetitions until you get to the plank which you hold for 30 seconds or more. Rest for 90 seconds then repeat it all. Rest 90 seconds, repeat one last time. This sort of workout causes a big metabolic disturbance which will keep your metabolism up for as much as 36 hours.

Cool down: Do slow stretches of your legs, groin, chest and back.

None of this requires leaving the house or any equipment, but you will find it gives you a great workout.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes it is.

Admittedly, it gets less effective as you lose weight, but it's still good.

If you walk sufficiently briskly (enough to raise your breathing to the point you can still say hwole sentences, but need a breath at each one) you raise your metabolic rate to 2-2.5 times normal

At lunchtimes I walk 1.5 miles in 16 minutes, browse the shops, buy lunch then take another 18 minutes to walk the 1.5 miles back. This burns an extra 250 calories for me. It takes longer to walk back because I'm eating my sandwich. when I started it took longer, and I'd burn about 400 extra calories.