Question about calories burned

Options
Hi all, I've been trying to follow a 1470 calorie a day diet and I'm using my exercise bike for cardio. My question is should I enter the number of calories burned as reported by my bike into MFP or should I just go with the number that MFP spits out when I enter activity and time?

I currently weigh ~178 - ~179lbs and my bike does not take my weight into account and shows that I burn 400 calories in 60 minutes cycling at 14 - 15mph but MFP is saying that I burn around 524. Should I use that 524 or continue entering 400 calories? I'd like to avoid eating much less than I should be eating.

Thanks.

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    If the bike has you height and weight, then go by what the bike says if not go by what MFP says..
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, use the lower number.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Both MFP and the bike can be off. There isn't really any way to know which is more accurate for YOU other than getting a good HRM. In this specific instance, MFP may be closer if the bike doesn't take weight into account. Typically I split the difference.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Best bet, get a heart rate monitor and utilize that. In the meantime for me, and this may be fudging a bit on my end, I would safely take the average of those two numbers.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, use the lower number.

That's my advice, too. You might look into purchasing a heart rate monitor. It will be much more accurate than either MFP or your bike, if it doesn't take your weight into account.
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've been trying to follow a 1470 calorie a day diet and I'm using my exercise bike for cardio. My question is should I enter the number of calories burned as reported by my bike into MFP or should I just go with the number that MFP spits out when I enter activity and time?

I currently weigh ~178 - ~179lbs and my bike does not take my weight into account and shows that I burn 400 calories in 60 minutes cycling at 14 - 15mph but MFP is saying that I burn around 524. Should I use that 524 or continue entering 400 calories? I'd like to avoid eating much less than I should be eating.

Thanks.

You know, i have this very same problem when i use my bike!!! I burn what is 500cals on the bike, but MFP has about 200 more cals burnt that what my bike says! I don't have a weight monitor on my bike so it doesn't know how much i weigh! I usually just put down 500cals what it says on the bike!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that the machines are not accurate as far as those counts. On the same token, the numbers for MFP are entered in by the users and each person is different. I always use the numbers as an estimate.

If you are in doubt, I would go with the lower number. :drinker:

I bought a HRM but never used it. It is the best way to get the best accuracy though. :flowerforyou:
  • allen83
    allen83 Posts: 17
    Options
    I was using the lower number for 3 months and I think it may have put me in the starvation mode that I'm trying to get out of now. Back then I was doing 1200 net cals a day and putting down 400 from my bike. The problem is that I'd often eat under that net 1200, I'd eat 1500 calories then burn 400 according to my bike and end up with 1100 net but at my old weight 60 minutes of cycling would have been 589 cals which if accurate would have put me at 911 net. I think I'll get a heart rate monitor, any recommendations?