strength training

Options
I've never done any strength training before and am just wondering if anyone has any info on where i should begin and how i go about making sure that i am strengthening all the parts of my body that i should be Ive heard some people say they do different parts of their bodies on different days, also where can i find info on these exercises? any help would be muchly appreciated.

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    look into kettlebell training and if you do not have access to those then sub with dumbbells like I do, multiple muscle movements will get you the best results from a fat loss perspective, but when it comes to strength training the kiss principle really works (keep it simple stupid), Stick to the basics and what works.
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    I know there are some DVD's on the market that have strenght training routines. I have always been told that if you do stenght training for your whole body on one day you need to give your body a rest the next day and do a walk or some other type of activity. If you work just your upper body one day then the next day you would work your lower body for the same reason as above. If you try to work the same muscle group everyday then you have a tendency to injure yourself.

Personally I go to Curves to do my stenght training and I go every other day for 30 minutes.

The other thing to remember about strenght training it to start out slow with no more than about 2 to 3 pound weights and then move on from there.

You can sometimes find strenght training excersies on the web. You might try typing in Prevention sometimes they show some different types of excersies.

Hope this information helps you.
  • babybosco
    babybosco Posts: 13
    Options
    thanks, I hadn't thought of curves!!! what a great idea!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    If you are just starting out, you might try a website that explains weight training for beginners, or that starts out using just body weight. I got plenty sore just moving my own weight at first. I am just starting out some upper body and core work with hand weights, and I agree to start with low weight and see how you feel the next day. Then build up slowly to a weight that exhausts you in 8-12 reps. Once you are strong enough to do three sets of 12-15 reps at that weight, increase to the next weight. Women seldom bulk up, even at increasing weight levels, but you have to challenge the muscle or it won't grow.

The pain the next day after lifting is from the destruction of muscle cells that then grow back stronger. It takes a few days, so if you are doing it right, and causing pain the next day, you need to give the muscles about 3 days of rest before working the same set again. Most serious lifters work on a rotating schedule of about 4 days of different routines followed by a day of full rest, and then repeating the sequence. If you don't get soreness, you aren't really improving muscle tone much.