Does anyone have the misfortune of having Psoriasis?

Options
If you do or have, I would love to hear what you do to keep it under control. What works for you? We are getting into the cooler weather and I know it will only get worse for me. I have been struggling with this for almost 5 years..... it just all the sudden started appearing one day, in my scalp, my elbows, knees, and legs....I hate it!!!!

Replies

• sebaseth
    sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you do or have, I would love to hear what you do to keep it under control. What works for you? We are getting into the cooler weather and I know it will only get worse for me. I have been struggling with this for almost 5 years..... it just all the sudden started appearing one day, in my scalp, my elbows, knees, and legs....I hate it!!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis. I've had it since I can remember. It's in my scalp, on the crown of my head and both sides of the base of my neck.

I've never found anything to control it. :ohwell: Sunlight helps, tanning beds too.

OOOOH, there was one thing that worked for me. I had patches popping up on my chest. My doc prescribed steroid cream. It worked!!! Oh yeah, I have it behind my ears too, and was able to use that cream there. (Sorry, you'd think I'd be able to name all these places at once, but I had forgotten chest and ears since the steroid cream helped them to subside and now they have receeded.)

I notice mine is worse with stress, which is not something you can control in your life. I've frustratedly thought many times of shaving my head to be able to apply that cream to my scalp but obviously never pulled a Britney Spears.

Talk to your doc. They can give you a cream to help with the elbows and knees and such. The have told me for years to use TGel for my head, but as many times as I've tried it, it's never helped. If you haven't tried it yet, try TGel. It looks and smells like tar, but it might help.
  • sebaseth
    Options
    I have psoriasis. I've had it since I can remember. It's in my scalp, on the crown of my head and both sides of the base of my neck.

I've never found anything to control it. :ohwell: Sunlight helps, tanning beds too.

OOOOH, there was one thing that worked for me. I had patches popping up on my chest. My doc prescribed steroid cream. It worked!!! Oh yeah, I have it behind my ears too, and was able to use that cream there. (Sorry, you'd think I'd be able to name all these places at once, but I had forgotten chest and ears since the steroid cream helped them to subside and now they have receeded.)

I notice mine is worse with stress, which is not something you can control in your life. I've frustratedly thought many times of shaving my head to be able to apply that cream to my scalp but obviously never pulled a Britney Spears.

Talk to your doc. They can give you a cream to help with the elbows and knees and such. The have told me for years to use TGel for my head, but as many times as I've tried it, it's never helped. If you haven't tried it yet, try TGel. It looks and smells like tar, but it might help.

Do you remember the name of the cream? I have used the Clobetesol Proprionate and it helps a little but I get so tired of applying. T-Gel has never helped me either. If I had one wish that I could use on me, it would be to rid my body of psoriasis. It is really starting to bother me because I am finally getting my body back and I sometimes don't feel comfortable showing my legs or my arms.....I've just lost 35 lbs, I want to show those things. Oh, DON'T PULL A BRITNEY SPEARS!!!!
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    Have you gone to the dermatologist? I think there is a shampoo/conditioner I was prescribed before...Clobex? It was amazing and I havent had the problem for a couple years now:smile:
  • sebaseth
    Options
    Have you gone to the dermatologist? I think there is a shampoo/conditioner I was prescribed before...Clobex? It was amazing and I havent had the problem for a couple years now:smile:

You know, I haven't gone to the dermatologist....I've just been seeing my regular doctor. I don't know why I have put this off, I have a great insurance plan. I am making it my goal to see a dermatologist with in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the kick in the rear to do so. Thanks for the info, I will check into the Clobex.
  • karmalyn
    Options
    My husband has really good luck with Redkin Scalp Relief dandruff control shampoo. T-Gel didn't work for him either. I hope this helps you.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Please let me know what the dermatologist says!!! I need to get on the ball and see one myself.

My med is Triamcinolone Acetonide cream USP 0.5%.

Info on it:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061023032806AAZZCnK
    http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/triamcinolone/
    http://www.clear-health.com/chmed/meds/t/HIPAANDC00168000380-3407
  • sebaseth
    Options
    Sarah- tech.....My dermatologist did perscribe Clobex....I didn't even mention it. It has almost completely cleared up. I have only been using it once a day for a week and a half. He is also checking to see if my insurance will approve for Humira.