The Scale vs. Measurements

Options
So, I am scared of the scale. Actually terrified. Through all of my years of dieting the scale has really depressed me! When I diet I tend to work out and I do gain a lot of mussel quickly. I know I shouldn't let that number on the scale control my emotions, but it does. And it is more than feeling a little down on myself. I will be depressed for days! I will be so down i will not work out and I will probably eat even more! I know myself.

So my question is... how important is the scale? Are measurements every two week okay or do I really need to get on that things once a week? I feel like I will just get discouraged, but I am serious about getting fit and I don't want to sabotage myself just because I am scared to get on a scale! What do you all think?

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't really matter. It's one way to measure progress, but in your case it seems like it's best to put that one away. I would say that you should do a few different measurements to track your progress and to avoid the scale:

1. Take before pictures and then take new pictures every month to track your progress.
    2. Take measurements of your neck, bust, waist, belly, hips, thighs, arms, calves -- anything! Re-do measurements every 1-2 weeks.
    3. Record your body fat percentage once every 1-2 weeks. I use a little handheld BIA tester, but your gym might have something for free you can use. Somebody can use calipers on you, or if yo uare really lucky and have access to the other better testing methods you should do those.
    4. If you are exercising, track your progress. For aerobic fitness, I like to keep track of my VO2Max, which I can test on the treadmills at the gym. If you are a runner, you can track and see how fast you can walk/run a mile or 3 miles or how far you can run without walking. If you are lifting weights, track your "max's".

Good luck, and don't let the scale get in your way. Remember, all you care about is FAT LOSS. Everything else is just a distraction (water weight, bowels, etc.)
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Now that i'm almost to my goal weight, i've had to learn NOT to let the scale be the judge of my improvements/accomplishments as much. The scale isn't moving much at all, but that being said, I have still managed to go down another size in pants.
    So, I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the scale if it unmotivates you and measure more than weighing! Good luck!
  • wecmom
    wecmom Posts: 11
    Options
    The scale can be your friend, but I have a strict rule about not EVER having one in my house because I have massive scale OCD. I weigh myself at my parent's or at the gym, note what is going on with my body at the time and can't do it every day. Usually once a week. But this MUST be accompanied with measurements to help you understand what your body is doing and help get over the scale phobia.

Good luck!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I really appreciate all of your support! Makes me feel a lot better!
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale run your life! You're doing this for many, many reasons I'm sure so JUST DO IT! Don't weigh for 10 days or 2 weeks or even longer! You set yourself up, you said it yourself, so don't fall into that same ol' trap again! You be in charge! Set your date and stick to it. Don't even take a peek! You're learning discipline in many areas and this can be one of them! DON'T DO WHAT YOU'VE DONE BEFORE! You know where that'll end! You can do this! So my encouragement to you is to keep doing what you do and stay off the scale for now. The weight will come off - it's a proven fact that if you reduce your intake and move your body, weight will come off. Stay the course!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to track extra measurements on MFP?
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I have only been doing hips, waist, neck. I have lost a little more than 2 inches in 15 days. I think your suggestion to do more through measurements are a great idea!
  • daphnest
    daphnest Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I want to be on the scales every day and maybe twice a day. Im going to put my scales up for 2 weeks or maybe a month. because I need to move on. Everytime I get on them I eat more and at the end of the week Ive gained and not lost. So we can do this together. have your husband or friends hide the scales and see what happens. You will have withdraws from it but we can do it.