Am I obssessed?!!!

Options
Today, supposedly is the day for one cheat meal :drinker: So, I went shopping, having in mind to buy chocolate, my favorite sweet corn and brownies. But once I am actually in the supermarket, I just couldn't come near any of them (subconciously), and i kept shopping for fruits, low fat yogurt, no fructose no sugar jam and reduced fat peanut butter... and that is for my CHEAT MEAL... Of course I wanted to eat totally different sugar loaded stuff... but I didn't dare...

So, I somewhat feel obsessed.. because this is supposed to be the meal that satisfies all cravings.. :sad: :mad:

Replies

• Rosette
    Rosette Posts: 34
    Options
    Today, supposedly is the day for one cheat meal :drinker: So, I went shopping, having in mind to buy chocolate, my favorite sweet corn and brownies. But once I am actually in the supermarket, I just couldn't come near any of them (subconciously), and i kept shopping for fruits, low fat yogurt, no fructose no sugar jam and reduced fat peanut butter... and that is for my CHEAT MEAL... Of course I wanted to eat totally different sugar loaded stuff... but I didn't dare...

So, I somewhat feel obsessed.. because this is supposed to be the meal that satisfies all cravings.. :sad: :mad:
  • littlespoon
    Options

Just a thought for you: If you make a particular day for a cheat meal and try and make yourself have it when you dont want it, isnt that the same thing as denying yourself something completely when you want it? Maybe instead of making a day, let that day happen when you actually feel like having it.

The other thing is: Its natural to feel like you dont want to chance putting on weight (or not losing as much for the week) when you have worked so hard. Once you have your cheat meal and realise that its fine, you'll be fine.
  • Rosette
    Options
    Actually that is a very good idea.. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • littlespoon
    Options
    You are welcome :happy:
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I feel obssessed as well. I went to the grocery store too and only purchased healthy stuff. I also find I am spending less on groceries and it seems like the house is full of plenty of food.

I didn't plan on eating healthy, but that is all I crave now. When I go to reach for a cheat food now, I don't want it anymore. My body now craves the healthy stuff instead of the bad stuff and that is only after a week or so of changing my habits.

I still have a "fun" food on occasion, but in a small portion. I usually crave sweets after I eat and I find 1 small piece will satisfy me.

As a friend of mine said, this is a great obssession to have!

Connie Lynn
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    my obsession is exercise I know my body should have one day of rest but I rarely do it....as for food I don't buy the "junk" iused to and even the kids snacks I can stay away from them.....so far LOL

dd
  • seamsso1
    Options
    Don't look at it as being obsessed- look at it as a change of attitude. My big downfall is Coke. Classic coke at that. I used to drink as much as a two liter bottle a day-easy. For the past 3 weeks I haven't had one-none. I switched to water. A change for me that had always failed. This time for some unknown reason-it's working. I decided to have a coke with dinner one night. I got up and went in to the kitchen with the express intent of coming back with a coke. When I picked up the glass to take a drink- I realized I had come back with ---WATER. The funny thing was that I wasn't disappointed and it never occured to me to go back and change it. I guess after a while what we think of as some kind of deprivation somehow becomes the treat in itself! Enjoy it and when you do indulge in the "forbidden" it will be o.k
  • rebasmart
    Options
    I don't do a cheat day, I am afraid something like that will throw me off my routine. Is that something a lot of people are doing? Just curious?
  • dawnmsimpson
    Options
    I gave myself a cheat day yesterday and ate out at my favorite restaurant. Of course, 1 of their meals counts as 2 meals for me, so I ate half for lunch and half for dinner. Afterward, I felt guilty because I had eaten it. So I worked out twice yesterday to burn some of those extra calories.
    I'm in the same boat as zenmama, I know my body needs rest from working out, but that is a very rare occasion that I take the day off from it. I feel like, if I don't work out, then I'll get out of the habit and will put it off like I have before. Working out is my obsession, or should I say addiction.... seeing how many calories I burned in one workout... feels great.
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Hi rebasmart and everyone,

I don't do a cheat day or meal. I haven't really felt the need to. I ate all those bad foods for so long that I am really enjoying eating the good stuff.

On the other hand, if I want something, I don't deny myself as I think that is one of the main reasons people fall off of their diet plans. If you deny yourself, then you may want it more. Even though I don't crave certain foods anymore, if I want something, I have it, just in smaller portions than I use to eat.

I haven't been obsessed with exercise. I found since I am eating less, sometimes I don't feel like I have enough food in me to do the exercise. I usually still work out 3-4 times a week, but only when I've felt sustained enough to do the work out. I was getting light headed when I first started and so I gave my body some time to adjust.

Anyone else working out less because of our reduction in calorie intake?

Connie Lynn
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a cheat day yesterday and ate out at my favorite restaurant. Of course, 1 of their meals counts as 2 meals for me, so I ate half for lunch and half for dinner. Afterward, I felt guilty because I had eaten it. So I worked out twice yesterday to burn some of those extra calories.
    I'm in the same boat as zenmama, I know my body needs rest from working out, but that is a very rare occasion that I take the day off from it. I feel like, if I don't work out, then I'll get out of the habit and will put it off like I have before. Working out is my obsession, or should I say addiction.... seeing how many calories I burned in one workout... feels great.
    I do the same thing!!! I rarely give myself a day off becuse i love the feeling of entering the workout and calories burnt on this site!!!! I do enjoy a good meal too!! It feels good knowing you have all those extra calories to spare! I am an exercise addict too....something to be proud of!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The need for cheat days is really just psychological, so if you don't want one, don't bother. I haven't had one since December. In time your cravings become few and far between...I don't even think of junk food at all anymore.

Connie lynn, I do adjust my caloric intake with my activity. If I am feeling really crummy, I'll have a higher-calorie day or two. I generally eat enough to recover from workouts well, but many times a change in my lifting program will cause some extra fatigue and soreness (like this week :sick: ). And sometimes I'll take it easier with the cardio if I'm hungry during my workout, that's pretty much the worst feeling ever!

One of my favorite quotes..."Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  • Rosette
    Options
    Well.. I have a stubborn body... if I lose weight with 1200 calorie per day in one week, I won't lose one oz the seond.. so I have to go over my calorie intake with 1000 calorie. This is my cheat meal.. but now I use increased portions of healthy food.. I no longer have urgent cravings for junk food or sweets :happy:

As for working out... Actually I go 5 days per week at least, if not 7. I just adore jogging and knowing how many calories i've just burnt!:bigsmile:
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Hi Songbrydsweet,

You are right about adjusting your calorie intake with activity. I find that I have to eat more the night before if I am going to work out the next morning.

You are right about the cheat days being psychological becasue I haven't had cravings either since I really started watching what I eat.

Even though I don't exercise at the fitness center everyday, I do enjoy it more than I ever have and I love how my body is changing in just in a few short weeks.

My face is thinner, my waist is smaller and I love eating good food and exercising. I also have inspired my husband to get in shape. Who new how many wonderful side benefits there were going to be when just counting your calories and logging your exercise everyday!

Happy Saturday,

Connie Lynn
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you're feeling. All week we have been planning on going over to a friend's house to have pizza tonight. And I was just going to enjoy it and make it my cheat meal. I started feeling a litlte trepidation yesterday and looked on Pizza Hut's website and found they had some "lite" pizza so that made me feel a little better, and then I got up this morning and was down another pound and couldn't stop thinking about the pizza and how much I didn't want to eat it now!!!
    I think songbird is right it's just psychological. And while I understand the need to not feel deprived in order for a diet to be successful, I don't feel deprived. So if I have another day in a few more days or so that feels right to eat something off plan then I will! And you should too! But our tastes have and will change just from eating right. Our bodies stop craving all that crap we used to feed it. Think of bad food like drugs. Once you break the habit your not a slave to that addiction anymore!!!
  • mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I still do my cheat day once a week, but like songbird says I think it is psychological. Last night was my "big night" to eat out. Funny thing was I could barely eat half of what I used to eat, and my stomach actually cramped up from all the grease. In the beginning, my cheat day was the day I looked forward too all week, now it is more like a self check that I am actually changing my eating habits and becoming more healthy.
  • createsure
    Options
    Songbyrdsweet is totally right, that it is psychological.
    (Notice I omitted the "just" because it can be so powerful!!)

Like quitting drugs, changing your eating habits is very hard to do. You have to overcome psychological cravings... it may be the toughest thing you ever do.

What makes it even harder is the fact that unlike drugs, you can't just quit food cold turkey. It's quite literally being addicted to something you need to consume to survive. What a double-edged sword! I think the key is mindset: you're not withholding from yourself, you're changing habits and training yourself to not even want those nasty foods. From the posts I've read, that seems to be happening to a lot of you. We find that we don't even want a lot of those foods that were originally our downfall.
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to have an obsession like that! I am still fighting against some of the unhealthier choices. I am a lot more self- conscious about what I eat now though. I hope to get to that point of not even wanting to eat the "cheat" foods.
    Keep obsessing! I bet you are having success!!!:drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in a cheat day, to me it's like whats the point I worked hard all week so I can go ape *kitten* for a day???

Instead I try to plan ahead for the week and then if I really want an ice cream cone or something I will edit my plan for the day and make room for that ice cream or whatever. I do limit it, no ice cream everyday or anything like that but if once or twice a week I want a little treat then I have it.

It's actually kind of a good thing that your "cheat day" came and you were self aware enough to not load up on crap, eventually your body will rebel against such a shock and your tummy will get back at you, if you know what I mean...:laugh:

Not obsessed just aware.
  • rhondababy
    Options
    I don't believe in a cheat day, to me it's like whats the point I worked hard all week so I can go ape *kitten* for a day???

Instead I try to plan ahead for the week and then if I really want an ice cream cone or something I will edit my plan for the day and make room for that ice cream or whatever. I do limit it, no ice cream everyday or anything like that but if once or twice a week I want a little treat then I have it.

It's actually kind of a good thing that your "cheat day" came and you were self aware enough to not load up on crap, eventually your body will rebel against such a shock and your tummy will get back at you, if you know what I mean...:laugh:

Not obsessed just aware.

This sounds like such good advise! I had my "cheat" day yesterday, and unlike most of you, I ate too much! I don't tend to crave really bad junk food, but I certainly ate too much of several things that have sugar in them.....tummy ache this morning, and I woke up craving more sugar. Is it possible that because I ate sugar in excess yesterday that my body wants more today?

Thoughts?