Replies

• jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    what does HCG stand for??
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There is a thread on here somewhere! Lots of ppl use it! with astonishing results! Good luck to you!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think it's unsafe and a bad idea. But in order to avoid a flame-war, I won't say more about it.

Do your homework, and make SURE you consult your doctor first. It can be an extremely dangerous diet for anyone with any type of medical condition.
  • sethra
    sethra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    well i am diabetic so i will definitely check more into it thanks!
  • shimshim09
    Options
    I had a friend that did the HCG and she lost 27 pounds in 1 1/2 month she did the drops also had a friend that went to the dr and did the shots and got great results as well she lost 20 pounds in 1 month..Me and my sister have appt on Tue to go to Dr and to s start the HCG program i will keep you posted but this is what alot of people i know are doing now days...I'm hoping this will work for me...
  • kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic, or have any other medical condition for that matter, PLEASE talk to your doctor before you start any sort of diet/exercise plan!! Good luck to you!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Excerpt from my blog post:

HCG is ONLY allowed in injections. It is NOT available in drops. If it is, it's ILLEGAL. Aside from the legal aspect, do you really want drops under your toungue entering your bloodstream- and not knowing what's in them?

So yes, HCG diet causes you to lose weight, quickly. You eat 500 calories a day for 21 days (phase 1). You lose weight because you're starving yourself, simple as that. Apparently, HCG prevents you from feeling hungry during this phase, and stops you from losing muscle. Bullcrap. You can't lose that much fat in that little time. You lose about 10 lbs of water, then fat/muscle etc.

Seriously people. I know you want to lose weight- but really, if this was the "secret" to weight loss, why are 60% of us overweight?
    Do not do this and harm your metabolism. I won't tell you how long it's taken to get mine back after years of too low calorie diets.

And I don't expect you to take my word for it either- here are some credible medical sources. No they're not "blogs" or "opinions" or "experiences", they're facts. Everyone knows someone who's lost weight doing this, and they've either gained it back- or they're living the rest of their lives at low calories, starting more "phases" of HCG everytime they gain.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: 1976
    http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/2/151
    "Mean weight loss in the HCG-treated group was nearly identical to that achieved by women given the placebo."

Journal of the American Medical Association: 1977
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/29/9/940.abstract
    "Twenty of 25 in the HCG and 21 of 26 patients in the placebo groups completed 28 injections. There was no statistically significant difference in the means of the two groups in number of injections received, weight loss, percent of weight loss, hip and waist circumference, weight loss per injections, or in hunger ratings. HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction."

British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology: 1995
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8527285?dopt=Abstract
    "We conclude that there is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being."

South African Medical Journal: 1990
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405506?dopt=Abstract
    Subjects receiving HCG injections showed no advantages over those on placebo in respect of any of the variables recorded. Furthermore, weight loss on our diet was similar to that on severely restricted intake.

WebMD: 2007 (Review of The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You to Know About by serial conman Kevin Trudeau)
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know?page=3
    "Scientific studies have demonstrated that hCG injections do not cause weight loss, and regulatory actions by the Federal Trade Commission and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have curbed their use in the United States," says Quack Watch.org owner and director Stephen Barrett, MD.

Starving yourself (and yes, 500 calories is starving- not even enough for your brain to function properly) can't be the solution. Nor can a "tincture" of HCG (that isn't legal nor does it contain HCG) "mobilize abnormal andripose fat" and "provide 1500-4000 calories a day" and make you not hungry. Ever seen a not hungry pregnant woman? :laugh:

I liken this to a post promoting anorexia or bulimia. If anyone came on saying how great it was or weight loss- we would caution the same way. Yes, it works, but so does cutting a leg off. Doesn't make it safe .

//endrant :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • shimshim09
    Options
    I will be doing the shots and there are different programs i got some info on the website of the Dr i will be going on Tues and they have some diets starting from 700 cal so i think this will be different from the drops..will keep everyone posted..
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    HCG Diet is a scam -- pure and simple. People who use it also go on a very calorie-restricted diet, which is what causes the dramatic weight loss. There have been studies after studies on this diet, but there is ZERO SCIENTIFIC PROOF that the injections themselves do anything. In fact, there is an interesting article making the rounds right now that shows that you are more likely to catch Mad Cow Disease from HCG injections than receive any weight-loss help.

http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/2011/03/29/human-chorionic-gonadotropin-wont-help-you-lose-weight-may-give-you-mad-cow-disease/
  • Aperyan83
    Aperyan83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    dont do it! :noway:
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The reason people lose weight on this diet is because they hardly eat. You don't need expensive hormone injections to lose weight. There is no "magic cure" for being fat. If there were, everyone would be skinny.
  • aarostoc
    aarostoc Posts: 22
    Options
    Years ago, my wife and I did a "reduced diet" plan, where she was eating only 1000 calories a day, and I was somewhere between 1200-1400 calories a day. I dropped 71 pounds in about 3.5 months, but since that time, I have gained all that weight back and MORE. It's not worth it. It's not realistic to starve yourself, and expect to transition back into society eating, and expect to keep it off.

More proof was this last week. I thought I would "boost" my weight loss this last week, being Spring Break with the kids, by walking extra, eating less, etc. At the end of the week (weighed in Sunday morning), I only lost 1.2 pounds, despite all of my extra exercise and eating less (on the range of 600-700 less calories on several days).

I was frustrated, depressed, and feeling worthless yesterday. Then my wife reminded me, "Hey, you need to eat, your body is holding onto fat because you're starving it". Yesterday, I ate all but 30 calories of my allowed totals, and this morning, I was down 8/10 of a pound, 3/4 of the weight I lost all last week!!!

I am proof that staying the course, eating what MFP tells you to do, DOES WORK!! I am down 23 pounds in 10 weeks.
  • kcrojas630
    kcrojas630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Google "Pounds and Inches" read it, re-read it, and decide for yourself. There are equal numbers of people for and against it! I am for it. I've lost 47 pounds so far, since October 2010. I feel great, look a lot better, and would recommend it to anyone. Message me if you would like to know more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!