Homemade corn tortillas 5 calories?

Options
I have been buying homemade corn tortillas from a mexican food store near my house. The gentleman at the store said he thinks it is 5 calories per tortilla. Does anybody agree with this?

Replies

• sebaseth
    sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been buying homemade corn tortillas from a mexican food store near my house. The gentleman at the store said he thinks it is 5 calories per tortilla. Does anybody agree with this?
  • sunshine_girl
    Options
    Regular soft ones are like 100-150, i have no idea about the crunchy ones or the size of the ones you buy though.
  • sunshine_girl
    Options
    I found this
    http://www.annecollins.com/calories/calories-tortillas.htm

Corn tortilla 1 x 4.5" 32
    Corn tortilla 1 x 6" 70
    Flour tortilla 1 x 7" 90
    Flour tortilla 1 x 8" 110
    Fried flour tortilla 1 x 8" 205
    Flour tortilla 1 x 10" 215
    Fried flour tortilla 1 x 10" 320
    Wheat tortilla 1 x 10" 170

hth
  • sebaseth
    Options
    Thanks sunshine girl!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    LOL--if they are really 5 calories a piece please send me a few pounds of them! I love tortillas but avoid them because they are usually higher in calories, high carbs and high sodium
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    the small stacks of corn tortillas are very low in cals around 30-40 And I think the flavor is way better.
  • sebaseth
    Options
    LOL--if they are really 5 calories a piece please send me a few pounds of them! I love tortillas but avoid them because they are usually higher in calories, high carbs and high sodium

Being homemade I think they are way less than the corn tortillas at the grocery store. They don't have all the perservatives....they only last a day or two in the fridge unlike store bought last a lot longer. I love them too.....
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options

You could ask just what goes into them and how many in a batch and figure for yourself...might give you the most accurate count....but pretty sure that 5 cal isn't accurate.

My all time favorites are Ole' Extreme Wellness. For an 8.5 in tortilla it's only 71 calories, 2g fat, and a whopping 12g fiber!!!! a big plus is that I can pronounce MOST of the ingredients.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

You could ask just what goes into them and how many in a batch and figure for yourself...might give you the most accurate count....but pretty sure that 5 cal isn't accurate.

My all time favorites are Ole' Extreme Wellness. For an 8.5 in tortilla it's only 71 calories, 2g fat, and a whopping 12g fiber!!!! a big plus is that I can pronounce MOST of the ingredients.

Oooh that sounds so good...where can I find those?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Being homemade I think they are way less than the corn tortillas at the grocery store. They don't have all the perservatives....they only last a day or two in the fridge unlike store bought last a lot longer. I love them too.....

They sound great and they would definitely be better than buying ones at a grocery store. But being free of preservatives won't make them lower in calories. 5 calories? not achance. But they may be very low, 30-40ish if they are small.
  • sebaseth
    Options
    I think the store owner did the calculation himself. The ingredients read corn meal & lime water. I have spoken with other spanish women and they did not know for sure but they have said they aren't many calories, not like flour tortillas. So, I would have to say between 5 calories and 40 calories....Lets make it 25!! Anyhow I never have more than 2 when I do eat them.
  • picaraperez
    Options
    I make homemade corn tortillas and the bag of maseca that I use says it has 110 calories per 1/4 cup of flour.