Calling all sodium watchers...

Options
Losing_It
Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
What's the best LOW SODIUM food item you've found? I know fruits & veggies are the best way to go but what have you discovered that makes it easier to stay within your sodium?

Not a lot of brands offer a "low sodium" version:grumble: I've heard that AMY'S brand has the most low sodium foods but I can't find anything AMY'S except refried beans. They ROCK, btw.

Replies

• Losing_It
    Options
    What's the best LOW SODIUM food item you've found? I know fruits & veggies are the best way to go but what have you discovered that makes it easier to stay within your sodium?

Not a lot of brands offer a "low sodium" version:grumble: I've heard that AMY'S brand has the most low sodium foods but I can't find anything AMY'S except refried beans. They ROCK, btw.
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I make sure to get no salt added if I get canned veggies, tuna, and unsalted butter.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

stay away from frozen foods they are packed with frozen foods
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hunt's makes low sodium ketchup...huge life saver...cause I never realized that even my ketchup had sodium! I also use No-Salt salt substitute in conjunction with low sodium meals...and that has helped...

I've started to realize that my sodium intake is most likely going to stay steady, and I combat it with water water and more water...now that I am drinking at least 1 gallon of water a day, the sodium doesn't seem to make me retain water as much.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I have become a HUGE fan of mini-wheats cereal. NO SODIUM! And very filling! I even eat them dry sometimes just a snack. The Cinnamon Streusal flavors are GREAT!

Also, I just discovered mini-dark chocolate bars--no sodium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT, NO SODIUM!

the trick is to really avoid processed foods, frozen foods, canned foods, etc. concentrate on fresh stuff or look for the low-sodium or /no sodium brands.

Read the labels on EVERYTHING!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have become a HUGE fan of mini-wheats cereal. NO SODIUM! And very filling! I even eat them dry sometimes just a snack. The Cinnamon Streusal flavors are GREAT!

Also, I just discovered mini-dark chocolate bars--no sodium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT, NO SODIUM!

the trick is to really avoid processed foods, frozen foods, canned foods, etc. concentrate on fresh stuff or look for the low-sodium or /no sodium brands.

Read the labels on EVERYTHING!

Oooh oooh shore! What are the calorie and sugar values for mini-wheats? And I'm guessing these aren't the frosted ones? Please tell!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Oooh oooh shore! What are the calorie and sugar values for mini-wheats? And I'm guessing these aren't the frosted ones? Please tell!

Yes, I eat the frosted Cinnamon Streusal--one of the best thing I've found so far! GREAT! I eat 30 of the little mini-biscuits every morning for breakfast. High in carbs but they're worth every one of them!

Here's the low-down on them:

For 24 "biscuits"

Calories 180
    Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 1 g
    Total Carbs 44 g
    Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Sugars 12 g
    Protein 4 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
  • Losing_It
    Options

Yes, I eat the frosted Cinnamon Streusal--one of the best thing I've found so far! GREAT! I eat 30 of the little mini-biscuits every morning for breakfast. High in carbs but they're worth every one of them!

Here's the low-down on them:

For 24 "biscuits"

Calories 180
    Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 1 g
    Total Carbs 44 g
    Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Sugars 12 g
    Protein 4 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

Yes, I will be getting these today!!! Wooohoooo!
  • Losing_It
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!:flowerforyou: