Exercise without a gym membership

Options
Does anyone have any good exercises that have been successful for them without burning a hole in their pocket? I'm a college student and have little money for anything let alone a gym membership and I'm so eager and excited to start new workouts. I've been doing some Jillian Micheals but (no offense to the Jillian lovers out there) she can get quite annoying in my opinoin (But absolutely an amazing workout). I'm ready for some variety in my exercise routine!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    your school doesn't have a fitness center for students to use?
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Since becoming a mom I too had that dilema now i workout to videos on netflix.
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love Chalen Johnson, she has DVD's for turbo jam, chalene extreme, and turbo fire. I have not gotten sick of her, and I think she is very motivational on her DVD's. It is a kickboxing type of workout.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about Jillian. :) Check out the Bob Harper Inside Out Method dvds, the strength and cardio ones are great. I do each one 1 or 2x a week just for some variety. Do you have a wii? I've heard Zumba for Wii is amazing too.
  • Jlynb1109
    Jlynb1109 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am using the 30DS right now but have friends who use the videos on this website: http://www.diet.com/videos/category/fitness-workouts

Good Luck!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo is always interesting. LOL...I won a tae bo cd off ebay for 99 cents!!!!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K and running and walking outside. And I also do the Firm Transfirmer series dvds. The only downside to those is the the "transfirmer" thingie is pricey, but you should just be able to use a regular step for it.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    your school doesn't have a fitness center for students to use?

I was thinking the same thing. If not, walking & running are free. Some of the cable services offer free fitness workouts free of charge in you have that, or you could buy a couple more DVD's to switch things up. Most I've seen are not that terribly expensive. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • spankywife
    spankywife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hulu.com has free fitness videos.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Does your school have a fitness center?

I'm a stay at home mom and I workout at home. I workout to Leslie Sansone (power walking which I love) and a few of the Biggest Loser dvds.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Your local YMCA Should be able to help you out financially (they can arrange for your membership to cost less due to your income) also if you have a wii or kinnect Biggest Loser is great!
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    HAHA Penn State charges for EVERYTHING!
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    @Bdde-

What do you search on netflix? I was wondering if they had some in there database. Can you get them instantly or through mail only?
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Walk/jog/run... it is free AND you get to enjoy the great outdoors. I walk 60+mins a day and add in a bit of jogging and running.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    isnt there a scenic park with a lake to run around?? I run the stairs at work for FREE...

Consider walking a neighbors dog...

you are a lil young for this, but the seniors job around the tiers mall before the stores open... again FREE

Check freecycle & craigslist for free DVDs and equiptment ( I saw 3 treadmills on freecycle yesterday alone)
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I cruise amazon.com or ebay for cheap work-out DVDs. Then at least if you don't like it, you didn't pay $100 for it. Also, if you have cable, there's a new FitTV channel that I use for their yoga and cardio classes in the morning sometimes.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Since becoming a mom I too had that dilema now i workout to videos on netflix.
    That's a great idea, I never thought of! I use instant play all the time and never thought to check out exercise videos! Thanks for the idea!!!
  • AprilTaurus
    Options
    When I was in undergrad the gym fees were built in our tuition. I'm sure you have a huge campus, you can walk/ jog around that with some buddies or alone with some music.
  • SweetLime67
    SweetLime67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started the BCx Boot Camp program on Fitstudio.com. It is completely free and is an amazing program! It is super intense so I starting only doing one set of each step and now am on two sets. It has done amazing things for me. I feel so energized and confident now. There are other programs on there too and they all look really great. I highly recommend it. Oh and i just want to make it clear that I am in no way affiliated with this program. I am just really happy with my results :-)
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options
    I do agree with you, on Jillian being annoying, am currently doing her Ripped in 30 DVD.

I use videos off of youtube. As of late, have been trying Zumba! LOVE IT!

I am currently working out with videos by Erna (GoddessErna). She has several varieties of routines! I try to incorporate a warm up a series of her routines and a cool down in my 30 to 45 minute workout. She is an instructor out of Ohio. Love her moves, whether pop, hip hop, salsa, reggaeton, and more! Have fun! Here is just one link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilIYV3Kr8Q4&feature=related

There are many videos out there and of course walking outside (if the weather would ever get nice in Indiana) is good for me!!