Calories per meal??

Options
What would be a good amount of calories for breakfast? lunch? dinner? I have 1370 calories for the day, but I don't really know how to break these up and if it is better to eat more calories in the morning, or later in the day, or does it even matter just as long as I don't go over. Any suggestions, tips?

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    For me, I try to eat around 200 for breakfast. Then lunch like 350 or 400 and the rest for dinner and snacks. If I go over on breakfast alot, it messes up my whole day. Good luck.
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    I usually have a quarter of them for breakfast, another quarter for lunch, a quarter for dinner, and then i space the others around the day for whenever I get hungry.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've always heard it is better to eat more in the morning. But change it up. Eat more for breakfast one day then the next eat a bigger lunch. I just depends on your activity level during the day. You tend to eat more when you are doing more.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I eat 1460 per day...I cannot eat a lot of breakfast or I feel sick, but I need something so my breakfast is usually around 150-300 (banana, yogurt, granola bar, etc). Lunch is around 400-550, and dinner is my favorite meal so I try to save around 600 for dinner and then a snack if I can afford it.

Some say breakfast should be your largest meal, but that just doesn't work for everyone. Don't forget to log your exercise, that will give you more calories to eat, so keep that in mind when planning your meals if you don't work out until night time.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i try to work around 300 per meal and then i have 300 left over for snacks.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what is correct but I generally try to save about 600 calories for my big meal of the day, usually dinner. I switch my big meal up on occasion, when I feel like I am about to plateau. Other then that I try to divide the remaining calories up between my meals.
  • erintgaffaney
    Options
    For a while last fall, I was seeing a personal trainer. He advised me on nutrition as well, and said that our bodies can really only break down about 400ish calories in a sitting- anymore beyond that has the potential to turn into fat if not burned off right away. If I were you, I'd split up your recommended calories pretty evenly- shoot for about 350 at each meal and then the rest at snack time. He said it's also best to eat several small meals throughout the day- that way, your metabolism keeps up a steady pace and you never go into starvation mode. Hope that helps!
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have a similar number of calories for each day... I am trying to do the "five small meals per day" thing. So, I usually do 200-300 for breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. I have been burning between 600-800 calories working out every day so I get suuuper hungry during the day! The small, consistent meal plan has been working well for me but it totally depends on when you get hungry or what kinds of food you like the best. Good luck!
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello...i think it's best to get the bulk of the calories in during breakfast and lunch, my rule of thumb is to have about 700 cal for dinner. I'm on 1590 per day i've been averaging 300-400 for breakfast...500 for lunch and then i get a snack in and then dinner. The only thing i've learned was to eat your brown carbs before your dinner keep them to break/lunch. If you have them for dinner your going to sleep on them and they will turn to fat. But if you get them in early in the day you burn them for fuel.
  • Sexyarabian
    Options
    i think that eating lots of calories everyday is the greatest thing to get that sexy arabian bod!
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to experiment and see how it works best for you. For some people, it's easier to comply with their goals by eating 6 small meals, for some it's easier to skip breakfast and east 2 large meals, for others the traditional 3 meals a day is easiest. Try some different schedules and see what works best in terms of not feeling hungry all the time and controlling cravings.