Why isn't fruit a calorie free item?

Options
Why is it that fruit is supposed to be like 80% water but we still have to count it because it has high calorie amounts? I have stopped eating bananas because they are not even worth my time as they are like 100 calories event though that is my favorite fruit but even the stupid fruit that I eat to satisfy something in my mouth whether I want it or not, still has calories, apples, oranges. Im just so freakin mad, no matter how many calories I have im still starving and so I eat this fruit to feel like ive eaten something that is supposed to fill me up which is does not and then on top of that, the calorie amounts are just dumb, 40 calories for the smallest orange in the world? Not cool

Replies

• Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas every day. Just add it in.

This isn't on pts. All those fruits have cals and need to be counted for

MF
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    and I hope that wasn't too blunt because I just read your pissed!

ugh! Sorry
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Wow. Maybe you should complain to Mother Nature! It's a matter of simple chemistry. Fruits have sugars and starches which have caloric value. Plain and simple.

If the fruit you are eating just to eat (as your post seems to imply) doesn't satiate you, I would recommend eating some protein instead. Has some lean chicken or tuna...
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've looked at your food diary. You're usually under your target by at least 500 calories. You're supposed to hit the target, not be under it.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Im on a doctor supervised diet of 800 calories a day as I explained to him that eating 1200 a day was not letting me lose any weight at all, so he told me to go down to 800 and monitor it closely and then go back and see him, with that I have lost 7lbs. Just have to try and find food that is filling but low in calories
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There are such foods as zero or negative calorie foods - they are called this because when eaten raw or cooked with no added fats etc the amount of energy your body takes to digest them is more then the amount of calories they have! If you want more info on this you can google zero or negative calorie foods :smile:

Zero Calorie Foods
    In the following lines, we have provided a list of zero calorie foods, including both fruits and vegetables.

VEGETABLES
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Green Cabbage
    Carrot
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Dandelion
    Hot Chili Peppers
    Cucumber
    Endive
    Garden Cress
    Garlic
    Green Beans
    Lettuce
    Onion
    Radish
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

FRUITS
    Apples
    Blueberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cranberry
    Grape Fruit
    Honey Dew Melons
    Mango
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Papaya
    Pineapple
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Tomato
    Watermelon

Hope this helps :)
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Im on a doctor supervised diet of 800 calories a day as I explained to him that eating 1200 a day was not letting me lose any weight at all, so he told me to go down to 800 and monitor it closely and then go back and see him, with that I have lost 7lbs. Just have to try and find food that is filling but low in calories

Are you taking HGC?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Does that mean logging those things is unnecessary? Also, is that why I am starving today, despite having eaten 3 apples?
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Be very careful. These fruits and veggies are definitely NOT zero calorie. I would take this list and deep six it!
  • PoleBoy
    Options
    If you're on that high a restriction you want to really watch the amount of sugar you're having - any blood sugar spike will get turned into fat, and held on to.

For snacking try baby corn, tomatoes, and mangetout/sugarsnap peas

Have soup twice a day - a (relatively) heavy one such as lentil at about 200 kCal/portion, and a light one like a chicken noodle cup-soup
  • Smilbuta
    Smilbuta Posts: 10
    Options
    Robert and poleboy are 100% correct , there is no such thing as zero calorie food. Count all foods and thier caloreic impact, especialy fruits with thier sugar content. Sweet (tropical) fruits are a dieters WORST! nightmare.

Substitute Whole meats and Protein for fruits and snacks.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Whoa...there seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread. First, there are not many zero calorie foods out there. The only zero calorie thing I ingest every day is water.

Second, eating too many calories will make you overweight. End of story. I could eat 3000 calories a day of all fruits and vegetables and I would get fat. I could eat 3000 calories a day of McDonalds and I would get fat. This is why we log in our food diaries the 100 calorie banana, the 45 calorie salad greens, the 40 calorie orange...all of those small amount of calories add up over the course of a day or week.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Well, a calorie is still a calorie. Do you omit the calories in drinks too? No, you have to count those because they all add up.
  • Lyndsay_Love
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/293711-truth-about-negative-calorie-foods/

If you do a simple google, you will see, there is no such thing as negative calorie foods.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    Kind of related question... I'm consistently over my sugar intake but it's all natural fruit or veggie related sugar. Should I be cutting down? I feel like I don't even eat that many fruits or veggies!

Should I just subtract the natural sugars or does it ALL count?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is a mess.
    Still scratching my head that someone would be put on an 800 cal. diet. Seems extreme.
  • PoleBoy
    Options

Should I just subtract the natural sugars or does it ALL count?

the 30g/day guideline is for refined sugars, so you can up the limit if your sugars are from whole raw fruit (to around 130g/day - I think is the FDA guideline, can't remember where I saw it). Blended, juiced and cooked fruit are more of a grey area. But no, you can't disregard it totally .
  • Hawgfreak70
    Options
    Those crunchy nature valley granola bars are fairly low in calories, and make you tired of chewing.lol
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    To the original poster: I know how hard it is to be on a restricted diet and try to feel full. What I have found that helps is to add fat/protein to my carbs. So, I eat an apple with peanut butter. Or Ezekiel Bread with an egg. Etc. I have found combining protein/fat/fiber is the only thing that keeps me satisfied. With that said, it is annoying how many calories are in healthy foods and that when on restricted diet it's easier to eat processed foods.