Fast Food Maybe Requirements!

Options
I read this on my local news channel's website and thought I would share it with you. I have also give the link for anyone that would like to read more.

WASHINGTON — It could get harder to indulge in a double cheeseburger and fries without feeling guilty.

Menu labeling requirements proposed Friday by the Food and Drug Administration will require chain restaurants with 20 or more locations, along with bakeries, grocery stores, convenience stores and coffee chains, to clearly post the calorie count for each item on their menus.

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/food/story/9374246/

Me personally, I like the idea of knowing for those days I have no choice but to do fast food.

Replies

• grace914
    grace914 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS IDEA! I went to Panera yesterday and the calories were listed. The AMC in Lombard had the calories listed too (however, that wasn't fun) Thanks for the article :smile:
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I like the idea. I have been looking up the info online on the stores websites to get that info but now I won't have to. Also for those days when you wanna splurge, after you see the actual calorie count, you might not want to. Keyword"might" because many folks won't pay attention to this but for us trying to lose this weight it will help.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    It's a nice idea, but government regulated; not such a good idea. The government has their hands way too involved in our lives!
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Applebees and CHili's do this on thier menues and I makes me think twice before ordering. Before it was like out of sight out of mind. I love this! Also you get calorie shock when you see how high JUST the hamburgers are in fast food places. Its rediculous!
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I wish more places would do that. I know Panera Bread does it, and McDonald's puts it on the wrappers.
  • squitzwife
    squitzwife Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i agree! I'd like to know what I'm eating. It surprises me how many calories are in some fast food. "Just a few" chicken nuggets or fries or even a small burger have a surprising amount of calories! The leading cause of obesity is over eating, not bad food choices...even if something has pretty good ingredients doesn't mean you aren't eating too much of it!
  • kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That would be soooo awesome! Thx!
  • LovePinky
    Options
    My idea for helping the American Obesity Epidemic....
    Have items at fast food places/restaurants priced based on calories.

So for salads and other good items $1.00 - $2.00
    For the Big Macs etc with with up to 500 calories or more $5.00

It would make me think twice when ordering, especially with the way the economy has been.
  • choley222
    choley222 Posts: 57
    Options
    I love the idea. I will only eat at places that have their nutrition information public. I don't want to try and guess how many calories are in my meals or coffees. Thinking I was eating healthy was what got me to 255 lbs, knowing what I am consuming is the best thing I have done for myself.
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    I wish more places would do that. I know Panera Bread does it, and McDonald's puts it on the wrappers.

Yeah McDonald's makes sure you don't know until it's too late lol! That makes me feel like I wasted my money because I don't want to eat it by then.
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's a nice idea, but government regulated; not such a good idea. The government has their hands way too involved in our lives!

AMEN!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love it! I work at McDonald's, and people don't really get a chance to look at the nutritional information of the food until they have already received it. It is on wrappers on some of the food, and on the back of your tray liner. Our McDonald's does about 75-90 of its business through drive thru. Those people have little to no idea of the nutritional info of their food unless they ask or it is put on the wrapper.
  • deesdigitaldelight
    deesdigitaldelight Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat at TGI Friday's from time to time and find it hard to find some of their calorie info online. Not to mention I made the mistake and ask the waiter (who I thought should have been more knowledgable) and she stated I don't have a clue just check out the menu and pick something that states is a healthier choice. So to be a pain I said, instead of me looking through the whole menu can you name a few items which would be healthier and she grabbed the menu from me and started naming stuff as she browsed through it herself, LOL
  • vwbug86
    Options

AMEN!

Well than who is suppose to regulate it. You said yourself that it was a good idea. If not for government involvement we would still have human hands in sausages and might be eating pencil filling instead of pepper. Two very common occurrences and procedures until the FDA was established by Teddy Roosevelt.
  • vwbug86
    Options
    NO tip for you.
  • hwilliams519
    Options

It would make me think twice when ordering, especially with the way the economy has been.

I think that is a WONDERFUL IDEA!!!
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I do support calorie info on menus because it can be such a pain to find the information & do research before you eat anywhere. But really, I doubt that someone going to McDonalds to order a Super Sized Big Mac meal is going to change that because they see it has over 1,000 calories. Information is power, but how do you fix the lack of common sense?
  • hwilliams519
    Options

I think that is a WONDERFUL IDEA!!!

Somehow the computer thought I was finished. lol. One of the biggest reasons/excuses I hear people say against eating healthy, is that it's so expensive. Which, from my experience at the grocery store, you can shop for the same price or cheaper on healthy food vs processed food. However, you definitely don't see healthy options on the dollar menu anywhere. But I do believe that if prices in healthier food decreased, and the price of junk food increased, people would shop a little differently.

Another idea I thought of years ago, was putting nutrition info on receipts. But I guess it would only be good in conjunction with the menu calorie listing.