Eating but not getting full am i doing something wrong? ADVI

Options
I have been doing this dieting thing for about a week and have im eating all the correct food but im still feel like im hungary and im not getting full.
What is some advice you can give me or some foods that you prefer to eat

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    http://okinawa-diet.com/okinawa_diet/hara_hachi_bu.html

Hara Hachi Bu - eat until you are 80% full.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I usually eat veggies, soup, 40 cal bread, and drink enough water to help. Make sure to eat plenty of fiber cause that will help you stay full. Also I eat oatmeal for breakfast which is pretty filling :)
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    its your first week...youre going to feel hungry because youre body is adjusting to your new lifestyle change - or at least that's what happened to ME for the first week or two...it'll catch up - and if youre exercising EAT YOUR CALORIES BACK - if not all, half.
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    Eat Slow.. fill up on mostly veggies and drink plenty of water :-)
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different, but I need much more protein and fiber than MFP recommends! As I am losing and feel good, I don't worry about it. I really like peanut butter for the protein in the morning, then skinless chicken, tuna, pork for the rest of the day. I was very hungry at the beginning too until I adjusted this. I also set my loss goal to one pound per week so I get more calories each day. You can always eat under those, but if you need more to feel full you should eat them. It will help you to stick with this. Good luck on your journey!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I am not going to lie to you - I am never ever full anymore. I've had to learn to change my mindset to eating until I'm not hungry. And then changing it further to "hunger is not an emergency."

That being said, eating food high in fiber (fruits and veggies and nuts) helps a lot for me. I also have to have a good amount of protein in there and limited "empty" carbs. Not that I think carbs are bad, but a slice of plain white bread just does nothing to keep me full. Same with white rice. Whole grains are a completely different story (due to their fiber).
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    Hey There & Welcome!

I wanted to reply because it seems we've started at about the same: I'm 5'6" & started (MFP) at 238lbs. I'm 211 today.
    I'm learning that every-(body) is definitely different so I only offer advice based on my experience so far.
    I started out eating 1220 calories or so and did fine for the first 3wks or so. Then, I noticed I started to get REALLY hungry - like I hadn't eaten ANYTHING - hungry. So, I played around w/ my settings - increased my cals to 1340 or so. That's what worked for me. I also increased my exercise (intensity & frequency) within the same time period so perhaps I was burning more cals then what I thought (hence, being hungrier than usual).

I'd say take a realistic look at your goal. I started this journey thinking my goal would be 165ish. Then, I hit some weird plateau/funk at all once and decided to increase my calories a bit more (it's now set at about 1800) and opted to go w/ .5lb.-1lb. per month weight loss instead. I was beginning to feel deprived (and tired of seeing the red/negative numbers) at the end of the day on my food diary. Funny thing is, now that I've increased my calories, I NEVER go over - and sometimes don't even come close. So, I dunno. For me, I know it's definitely MENTAL!

Well, good luck to you! Feel free to add me if you'd like encouragement and support! This website has REALLY helped me!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning - that's filling. And are you drinking enough water?
  • lauriallen
    Options
    I agree with the post just made 100%. You can't run a marathon if you haven't practiced for it, so start small and work your way up.
    Add me if you would like some extra support, this is only my second week.
  • susancelli928
    Options
    Your body is in shock... It went from eating whatever you want to pretty much starving now. It is going to take time to for your body to catch up. Give it another week, if you are still hungry than most definitely up your calories or eat 6 small meals a day. Here is another question... Do you eat right before bed? When I do I wake up starving and eat all day..
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been hungry since I started last July :embarassed:
  • DawnHeffernan
    Options
    You might not like this, but feeling a little bit hungry is no bad thing, When you are not used to the feeling it is hard. I picked alot and so never got hungry, when I cut that out I actually felt hungry and had to think..my next meal is what 3 hours away..I'm not gonna starve to death in that time, I had to tell myself I could cope with that feeling. I wasn't used to it. Your stomache will shrink and given time you won't feel so hungry. I enjoy my meals far more now because I am hungry for them and if I want to snack I think NO wait for the next meal it'll come round soon enough.
    Hope this helps.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Beans and fruit and veggies. All full of fiber and it gives our bodies EVERYTHING it needs. AND you can eat massive amounts of this - I mean, you will be way full before you ever eat the same amount of calories that a fast food burger meal would have in it! And it sticks with you!

For 200 calories I could have 1 krispy kreme greasy donut that will be gone in 30 minutes - or I could have 100 grapes (which I could never eat that many at one sitting!) that will stay with me all afternoon!
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Veggies are really low in calories and you can eat a lot of them. I like to eat butternut squash, mushrooms, broccoli slaw with a little marinara, spaghetti squash with a little marinara. Stuff like that you can eat a LOT of and it keeps me from being hungary, hope that helps! :)
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Protein helps keep you full longer!!