Canned Tuna Recipe

Options
Can anyone tell me of a HEALTHY easy recipe for canned tuna? All I ever make with it is Tuna Salad and Tuna Noodle Casserole, both which seem to be big NO-NOs! :p any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

Replies

• punky82600
    Options
    try useing a little mustard and stuffing it in a tomato its yummy and very low cal.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I often make tuna pasta, with wholewheat pasta and a tin of sweetcorn. Yummy, and a serving comes to around 350-400 kcals, well within my budget.
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Recipe - Tuna-&-Tomato Mac & Cheese

Makes 4 Servings

8 ounces (about 3 cups) whole-wheat rotini pasta
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup nonfat milk, divided
    1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
    1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder (see Notes)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 cups reduced-fat cottage cheese, preferably low-sodium
    1 5- to 6-ounce can chunk light tuna (see Notes), drained and flaked
    1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles (see Notes), drained
    1/4 cup crumbled tortilla chips, preferably blue corn

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
    2. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
    3. Meanwhile, whisk flour and 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl. Heat the remaining milk in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat until steaming.
    4. Gradually whisk a few tablespoons of the hot milk into the milk-flour mixture, then whisk this mixture back into the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in Cheddar, pepper Jack, chile powder, salt and pepper.
    5. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until very smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Stir into the sauce in the skillet. Add tuna and the pasta; stir well to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle drained tomatoes evenly over the top.
    6. Bake until hot and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Top with crumbled tortilla chips.

Per serving: 447 calories; 11 g fat ( 6 g sat , 3 g mono ); 38 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 5 g fiber; 723 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (38% daily value), Magnesium (20% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    annnd another one I found this weekend.

Recipes - Tuna, Artichoke & Basil Stuffed Potatoes

Makes 4 Servings

4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
    2 5- to 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna (see Note), drained
    3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
    1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
    2 scallions, chopped
    1 tablespoon capers, rinsed (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
    1 plum tomato, finely chopped

1. Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on Medium, turning once or twice, until soft, about 20 minutes. (Or use the “potato setting” on your microwave and cook according to manufacturer’s directions.)
    2. Meanwhile, combine tuna, yogurt, 1/2 cup basil, artichoke hearts, scallions, capers (if using), salt and pepper in a large bowl.
    3. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, carefully cut off the top third. Scoop out the insides and add to the bowl with the tuna. Place the potato shells in a microwave-safe dish. Mash the potato and tuna mixture together with a fork or potato masher.
    4. Evenly divide the tuna mixture among the potato shells. (They will be very well stuffed.) Top with cheese. Microwave on High until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. To serve, top each potato with a little tomato and some of the remaining 2 tablespoons basil.

Per serving: 344 calories; 8 g fat ( 4 g sat , 2 g mono ); 27 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 6 g fiber; 614 mg sodium; 1159 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Potassium (33% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    What about just adding tuna on top of your favorite salad?!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Tuna with 1/2 avocado and 1 tbsp of fate free mayo - my favorite snack!
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just made a salad with baby spring mix, canned tuna in water, feta and some marinated artichoke hearts.

I've also made canned tuna in water or olive oil with some green onions and pretty much whatever other veggie you like with tuna stuffed in an avocado or tomato.

If you like California rolls, you can mix it with a little warm rice ( just a little rice) and avocado and cucumber and eat it with theSushi Nori like a tortilla or just make a quick wrap.
  • jrich6
    jrich6 Posts: 26
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/183170-jenna-s-tuna-sammies

I posted this a while back. It looks like there's a lot to it, but it's really fast and easy. :)
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat tuna sometimes, too....but want some more variety in recipes....this will help...
  • alan_renfroe
    Options
    I make a tuna salad with one can of tuna, mustard, dill relish, chopped olives, and a dash of Tabasco. I spread it on multi-grain sandwich rounds and sometimes add sliced jalapenos.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Tuna patties

Tuna with egg whites and one whole grain bread crumbled. Add a little dill and onions if you like

Then form into patties
    Spray baking sheet with Pam
    Bake at 450, flipping patty once browned on one side

Enjoy
  • numnumnums
    numnumnums Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    tuna patties sound delish -thx
  • kfox36
    kfox36 Posts: 1
    Options
    alan:

That is a must try! Sounds really good. Heading to store to get olives. I have everything else.

Thanx!