Kid Food is YUMMMY

Options
So, on Monday's and most Wednesday's I am a nanny for 4 fabulous yet exhausting children! I get here to take the kids to school at 7:30 a.m. and I am with the 2 year old and 5 year old all day. I usually get off around 7:00, but sometimes later. It is a very long day and I am usually too exhausted to work out when I get home.I try to take walks with the kids or play "Simon Says"
where we run to the end of the drive way and do jumping jacks... but I always feel soooo fat when I leave here! The real problem is the food. KID FOOD! Mac and Cheese, Nutella, Chicken Nuggets, Ice Cream and OREOS galore! The OREOS are the most tempting... but I have been able to keep myself from them today. I do bring my lunch on Monday's and a few healthy snacks if I have time to prepare. I try to refrain from from the overly processed, sugar filled goodness, but some days it is soooo tough. Any suggestions on how to ignore these tempting pantry items???

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i have no advice other than to do what you said you try to do....pack healthy snacks and what not...i have a 3 yr old and im a stay at home momma so i feel ya...its so tempting with all these snacks around
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe turn into a game with the kiddos if they are old enough. They get to pick the next game if you eat something of their's, they get an extra time playing something they love if you eat something, they get more time outside if you eat something. If you tell them it is for you to be healthy but because they are kids they won't get sick so they can eat it, then they will understand. Make it another game. Trust me, they'll call you on it if you eat something. And then you won't even get the chance to eat it! Try that if they are old enough...Kindergarten age is old enough. Babysitter gets sick if she eats the food, they'll yell at you EVERYTIME! Kids never forget. Try that! :) Hope it helps....good luck. And I TOTALLY understand....I crave mac 'n cheese but have to avoid it or I'll eat the whole box!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Haha. Great advice. I can hear them yelling at me now!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    These foods are not exactly healthy for those poor children either. Unless the mother specifically tells what to feed them I'd start trying to give them healthier food. You may have to trick them since they have obviously been eating allot of junk. Chicken nuggets can be "oven fried" with bread crumbs, peanut butter in smaller portions instead of Nuttella, low fat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. The Oreos are a bit of a challenge but you could just have celery and carrots as an option. Honestly do people really feed there kids this crap all the time? I would think it could be an occasional treat. The good news is you're getting exercise :-)
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    These foods are not exactly healthy for those poor children either. Unless the mother specifically tells what to feed them I'd start trying to give them healthier food. You may have to trick them since they have obviously been eating allot of junk. Chicken nuggets can be "oven fried" with bread crumbs, peanut butter in smaller portions instead of Nuttella, low fat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. The Oreos are a bit of a challenge but you could just have celery and carrots as an option. Honestly do people really feed there kids this crap all the time? I would think it could be an occasional treat. The good news is you're getting exercise :-)
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    They are very active at least. The mom does tell me what to feed them, but I usually modify a bit. There are four of them with two working parents so I can't really judge. I wouldn't feed my kids any of it (if I had any), but then again I don't so I can't judge. But I always add carrots and apples or berries to the hot dog or chicken nuggets. They are all sugar crazed though. I love making them "play"my games of running because they all fall asleep in the afternoon....like right now :)