Would like to hear from folks doing low carb............

Options
I know all of the arguments and I am not really interested in debating the pros and cons of a low carb plan. I want to RESPECTFULLY say "Please do not preach a sermon to me about the evils of low carb plans". That being said, are there any of you out there who are doing low carb and love it??? If so, can I please hear from you?? Thanks. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Toniteach
    Toniteach Posts: 12
    Options
    There are people who don't support low carb? Wow! I did a very low calorie diet (low carb) and lost 95 pounds. I love the low carb lifestyle. I eat LOTS of salad, fish, chicken, seafood, veggies, and fruit (in moderation). I feel the best I've felt in a few decades.

Do what YOU think will work for YOU and you'll have all our support.

Good luck, Sweets!

~Toni
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am...I eat under 100 NET CARBS per day...goal is to have it closer to 50 NET CARBS per day, but as long as I am under 100 and the carbs are coming from fruits and veggies, I do not stress too much!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I am...I eat under 100 NET CARBS per day...goal is to have it closer to 50 NET CARBS per day, but as long as I am under 100 and the carbs are coming from fruits and veggies, I do not stress too much!

I started this week shooting for no more than 100 net carbs. I have let simple carbs like candy get out of control so I'm trying this to curb my sweet tooth.
  • jkausbrooks
    jkausbrooks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely follow a "lower" carb diet! I do eat some carbs...primarily veggies and limited fruit every day. I personally don't see any progress unless I follow a low-carb diet and keep up with my calories! Good luck with your weight loss endeavors!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Primal Blueprint (marksdailyapple.com) for almost 2 months. Keeping carbs <100 g per day has the weight coming off steadily. I've eliminated grains, white potatoes, dry beans, rice, bread. I am eating many fresh vegetables and a couple of small servings of fruit each day. I do use dairy. I'm eating simply prepared eggs, beef, chicken, salmon, shrimp, and cod. Most of my exercise has been walking and yard work, usually around 30-45 minutes per day. I eat back my exercise calories, and I've been satisfied by the amounts and kinds of food I've been eating.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 40% of my daily calories from carbs, which is lowish but not floor level. It's worked great for me. Helps keep insulin levels at a good place and still lets me fuel my workouts so I'm not a limp noodle when lifting weights. I do have days where I go over and days where I'm under that 40% goal though, and I don't stress about it.
  • lady_daraine
    Options
    I do a low carb diet too! I try to stick between 40-100g a day, not subtracting the fiber. I love it! I keep out all grains, legumes, and added sugars, and I limit my dairy, fruit and nut consumption. I'm just now getting back onto plan, but I lost 30 pounds the first time and I felt great, not hungry, and it went easy! I would recommend it in a heart beat.
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    Me, I love my low carb lifestyle, and I don't care who argues with me about it. Most people don't educate themselves and they take what the government and doctors say to heart. Not me. So yes LOVE LOW CARB!!!!!,
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    What I do I like to call "conscious carb" diet. I try to have high fiber, low sugar. And I try to eat more protein than carbs. My mother has been hard core low carb for aroound 15 years. She is the most insanely healthy/ fit 60 year old woman! She eats eggs with cheese almost every morning for breakfast. She puts whole whipping cream in her coffee. For lunchs and dinners she eats a lot of meat (she mostly does chicken, steak, and fish) along with tons of veggies. She makes a lot of green beans, asparagus, brocolli, zucchini and cucumbers. She makes her own ranch and blue cheese dressing, because so much commercial stuff has sugar or corn syrup in it. She has crazy low blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, trigylcerides, etc- she also works out a lot. In the summer she bikes 40-60 miles a day! I'd do well to emmulate her, but I'm not ready to give up all the carbs she has!
  • krissy3773
    krissy3773 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did the low carb thing for about 4 weeks at the end of last year and I lost 15 lbs!! if I can just stay motivated it would be a GREAT thing!
  • Ashykins
    Ashykins Posts: 233
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for about maybe 2 to 3 weeks and love it! The weight has came off easier with the elimination of candy, sweets, and breads. I feel great, it's good eating to me, I do enjoy my dairy and I actually cook more! Everything I make now is cooked.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    What I do I like to call "conscious carb" diet. I try to have high fiber, low sugar. And I try to eat more protein than carbs. My mother has been hard core low carb for aroound 15 years. She is the most insanely healthy/ fit 60 year old woman! She eats eggs with cheese almost every morning for breakfast. She puts whole whipping cream in her coffee. For lunchs and dinners she eats a lot of meat (she mostly does chicken, steak, and fish) along with tons of veggies. She makes a lot of green beans, asparagus, brocolli, zucchini and cucumbers. She makes her own ranch and blue cheese dressing, because so much commercial stuff has sugar or corn syrup in it. She has crazy low blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, trigylcerides, etc- she also works out a lot. In the summer she bikes 40-60 miles a day! I'd do well to emmulate her, but I'm not ready to give up all the carbs she has!

Your mom is my hero! lol

I eat a 30% carb diet. So it's not really low carb but it is LOWER than what I was used to eating. I think I eat anywhere from 90-120g per day. Most of them come from fruit smoothies lol. I LOVE it! And hope to never eat high carbs ever again!
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing lo carb this week. I did the old school Atkins several years ago and the pounds melted away, but it wasn't sustainable, and I didn't like a lot of the restrictions. I'm going to try to follow the Primal Blueprint, limited grains, processed carbs, (not sure about beans yet) as I think having the foundation of your food pyramid being fruits and vegtables, and including meats and healthy fats makes a lot of sense.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think that it is ok to have an apple each day? I love sweets and I have heard hat an apple is ok on low carb. All of the low carb stuff I have ever heard said NO fruit. What has been your experience with fruit on low carb plans?
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It depends on what else you are eating that has carbs. When I eat a honey-sweetened Greek yogurt, I have to limit my fruit to 2 small servings--1/2 apple, half grapefruit, or 1/2 pear, and 1 cup of raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries.

Play around with the custom settings on your food page. I set my carbs to the percentage that gives me around 100 g at the amount of calories I usually eat including exercise calories (around 1450-1500).

Primal Blueprint recommends 75-100 grams of carbs for "effortless weightloss".
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is great, I had orginally lost 30 lbs in 4 months using it. I did go off and regained 20 so thats why I am back, I wont say I dont love my carbs but I know they make me gain weight and feel sluggish, Low Carb eating makes me feel lighter and more energy (after the first 2 weeks). As far as health wise, my low carb diet was actually prescribed by of all things a cardiologist and he weighed me in weekly and also took blood tests weekly as part of a study and at no time did my blood work have any bad results, everything stayed healthy and perfect, my one issue I had going into the study was being diabetic and like I said within 2 months I was off ALL meds. I cant wait to be there again.

I think there is a mass of misinformation force fed to society by advertisers who have alot invested in corn, corn by products, soy and grain products so they want the media to keep telling people that low carb diets are unhealthy because they want us eating what they want to sell us for an insane profit and keep preaching we need their fortified foods because they are supposedly healthier for us than getting nutrients from real food, irregardless of its true impact on the health of society in general. But why should they care, the food industry and the pharmacutical companies are in bed together, what we buy from one makes us fat and sick, so then in turn we have to buy medication from the other to treat our high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes that was caused by consuming products from the first. Both make a killing litterally and figuratively. The government wont try to stop it , because that means less people to burden the financial system and collect Social Security benefits if they die of strokes, heart attacks or any other complications to the afore mentioned diseases before the ripe old age of retirement. They all are making out like a bandits on the ill health and disrupted lives of the little people, in the end the only one whos gonna take care of you in this day in age is yourself.

In reality eating low carb is not unhealthy, if we lived in a non or pre-industrialized society, we wouldnt have fortified cereals or daily bread as it would have to be made from scratch which is labor intensive and time consuming, it would be eaten as a treat more than a daily event, we wouldnt be so readily able to grab a twinkie or a bag of chip, at the first twinge of hunger,let alone an emotional baggage that needd handling asap with a comfort food fix. no most people would still be lazy as we are now and be grabbing" traditonal fast food", such as fruit local to our own regions and fresh farmers market vegetables too. We would get local cuts of meat from a butcher where he would most likely offer more variety than we see today such as buffalo and wild turkey, for snacks there would always be blocks of cheese and dried or smoked meats, dont forget the every bubbling, healthy and delicious pot of (meat and veggie low carb) stew or soup on the ready. We wouldnt be lacking in key nutrients as the media claims in scare tactics because we would be eating whole foods packed with them.

Go Low Carb.
  • shellyxxxxx
    shellyxxxxx Posts: 143
    Options
    i wouldnt mind trying this im kinda stuck in a rut so what could you have for breakfast lunch and dinner any ideas ??/
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    On low carb diet the Dr prescribed he allowed half a peice of fruit a day with breakfast and 1/2 cup of starch/carb with dinner like brown rice, it still kept calories and carbs fairly low and I lost steadily. Most was just fish, poultry, lean cuts of beef, and very rarely a bit of pork, eggs were fine. All the non starch veggies I could eat, raw or cooked. I could eat bacon if I wanted and whole fat cream in my coffee with stevia if I wanted too, but he did say to watch the full fat dairy as it wasnt a free for all on cream and cheeses, that can stall your weight loss a bit, so just in moderation and even if it was ok to use butter once in a while , to try use olive oil more. I found it easier to stick to than anything else and I never felt hungry infact I had to sometimes remind myself to eat.
    I never felt tired or sluggish from it, just the opposite after the first two weeks of adjusting, had so much energy I drove people crazy lol.
  • shellyxxxxx
    shellyxxxxx Posts: 143
    Options
    thank you x
  • shawndee816
    shawndee816 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic I have to watch for carbs. My main meals are between 15-45 grams. Snacks I keep around 15 grams.