I can't seem to stop eating kebabs!!!

Options
I need help! I can go for a week or so eating well and exercings 4 times a week but then I get a craving for a kebab and it ends up overwhelming me till I give in!! What can I do to stop this? Its obviously hindering my weight loss and does absolutely nothing for my state of mind! it makes me feel useless and like I'm out of control.

Is anyone else like this with kebabs or their "weapon of choice"? Does anyone have any ideas to stop these cravings?

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, they're not that unhealthy, but if you want try fruit kebabs or something.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think kebabs are a great food choice but make sure you add in veggies to your meal. You might find with a very healthy portion of veggies alongside you wont indulge so much. Do you make it yourself? If so, How are you preparing them?
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    What kind of kabob are you eating?

I'm thinking if it's loaded with chicken, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, squashes, onions, zucchini brushed with a little olive oil and sprinkled with a pinch of sea salt.... what would be the problem?

You know.... that sounds really good. :love:
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    Either throw them out of your life for now or at least until you have some control. Or go online and find a healthy recipe for them and stay within your calorie range.
  • summernight_nz
    Options
    Hmmm...thanks ladies, however I'm from the UK and your kebabs I think differ from my kebabs. The uk kebabs are completely and utterly unhealthy. It is a turkish meal however in the uk it has been adapted and in doing so it's become even more unhealthy. It is a common takeaway who have been out on the town of a night and its not good!:smile:
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...thanks ladies, however I'm from the UK and your kebabs I think differ from my kebabs. The uk kebabs are completely and utterly unhealthy. It is a turkish meal however in the uk it has been adapted and in doing so it's become even more unhealthy. It is a common takeaway who have been out on the town of a night and its not good!:smile:

I am so very familiar with the UK kebab. It was one of my main staples when I spent 5 months traipsing through Manchester, Somerset and the Lake District. Honestly, your best bet is to either limit yourself to one kebab a month as an indulgence or simply avoid the shops altogether. I know it's easier said than done because those shops are EVERYWHERE. If you do cave in, try to get a half portion with no chips and get extra salad fixings.
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    Every time you feel like one, put the money you'd spend on it in a jar. At the end of the month you'll see how much you've saved.

It could go on some new clothes?
  • summernight_nz
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Yes, I think I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and delete them from my life. I know people say that you can have everything in moderation but this is my nemesis and whenever I have one, I feel bloated, feel down about myself and feel useless and lacking in control. So I think my mental wellbeing means that this is a no go area for me! I might do the "put the money in a jar" idea, if I can see how much I would be spending......arrrggghhhhh its so hard!! thanks for commenting ladies x
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of kebabs too with chips. Our local kebab shop does the nicest kebab and chips with a really flat nan. I absolutely love it and if my purse and health could cope with it i'd eat it every day. Ifeel for you. I can't say i've not had kebab since i started this but i haven't had one from my local as i know i'd have to have my favourite and instead of having the whole shebang i've just had a donor meat and chips a couple of times since the begining of january.

I know it's not healthy but i'm not at the point where i could see spending the rest of my life without a kebab as anything but deprivation. Maybe at a later point on my journey i'll be able to eliminate all these bad things entirely.
  • eatingmysandshoe
    Options
    Do you have to have a doner? Could you have the kind where it is grilled chicken breast and salad in the pitta bread instead, which I think are actually not *that* bad. Maybe hold off on the garlic sauce tho....
  • summernight_nz
    Options
    Painten and Eatingmysandshoe, thanks for the responses. I have tried the chicken kebab (shish) and it's just not the same. I have tried to get the doner without sauce and still not the same. I know, I know, I am resisting change.......however, I have tried and it doesnt seem to work for me! lol. I think I'm just going to abstain. My other downfall is crisps, however I can seem to set my mind to NOT having any for months and it's not an issue. Why are kebabs so hard to do this with then?
  • pinkcess22
    pinkcess22 Posts: 60
    Options
    why dont you just buy the meat make a doner kebab at home with whole meal bread i usually just have the meat next to it i have salad its nice
  • pinkcess22
    pinkcess22 Posts: 60
    Options
    or you can have iskender its meat with bread underneath on top is garlic sauce and tomato paste you can either have it with bread or with out