Diet Soda Cake

Options
Ok, so I've heard so much about this old WW's recipe for diet soda cake. I've been wanting to try it and see for myself and I'm confused!!! =) Made it today (Devil's Food Cake box mix and about 12 oz. of diet coke) and it is GROSS! I am not a picky eater, and I will eat just about anything, especially if it's low in calorie and fits into my daily allowance. So, I was SO BUMMED when I bit into the cupcake! It has a weird chemical type taste to it. Is it because I used too much diet coke? Is it because I HATE diet coke as a drink? Would diet pepsi or diet dr. pepper be better? Or do I need a really good brand of cake mix ( I used a super cheap Aldi cake mix)? Suggestions anyone? I really want this to work/and taste good. I've read tons of reviews and everyone says is so yummy, I'm confused!

PS - I don't want to hear your opinion if you're going to tell me that Diet Soda Cake is bad for me b/c of the chemicals in the diet coke! please, and thanks! =)

Replies

• ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I haven't made it yet, but my guess is the fact that you don't like diet coke to begin with. Is there a diet soda you like? I was going to do diet dr. pepper seeing as that is the only diet soda I like.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It does not have to be a cola beverage. I had a yellow cake with diet sprite and it was good. Never tried a chocolate one. But i heard people expieriementing with all diet flavors, cherry coke, minutemaid etc....
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    try mixing the cake mix with a can of pumpkin. Its very yummy!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you'd even try it with Diet Coke if you don't like diet coke to begin with. ALL recipes will refer to a specific brand of product, it doesn't noticeably affect the recipe by using home-ground flour as opposed to rogers brand whole-wheat flour, or by using Heinz ketchup instead of... what's another ketchup brand? Aylmer perhaps? I'm a Heinz fan if I'm going to have ketchup it's gonna be Heinz regardless of what the "recipe" calls for.

So use a product you like
  • Liss1
    Liss1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just cake mix and pumpkin? I like pumpkin.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you don't like Diet Coke. My whole family loves these. 1 box of mix to 1 can. My kids really like strawberry cake with diet lemon-lime soda. I love dark chocolate cake with Diet Dr. Pepper. But it might just not be to your tastes.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used a chocolate mix from Aldi with mine, but I used a can of Diet Dr.Thunder. I personally loved the way it came out, so it could just be a taste that you're not in to. I topped my cake with a layer of sugar free caramel ice cream topping and FF cool whip. I fell in love with this cake, and so did everyone else I served it to. Good luck, and you might just have to experiment with it until you get it to your liking.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I prefer Hungry Girl's versions better.

devil food chocolate cake mix with 1 can pumpkin. Makes the yummiest, most moist brownies I've ever had!

Angel food cake mix with 1 can crush pineapple (juice included) SO yummy! and EVERYONE loves it and doesn't even know it's low cal. I use sugar-free cool whip for frosting.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    I've heard rave reviews also, and not sure it makes sense. Why would you use a chemically based soda when you can use 1% milk and a cup of applesauce and have a great tasting cake at only a few more per piece?
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    I hear ya on the diet soda being bad for you... you know, I can only cut back a little at a time here.... so give me grace along with a break.

I made one about 2 weeks ago. I used a name brand mix (can't remember.. did you know diet soda's affect memory loss? LOL). It was a dark chocolate flavor. I used a 12 oz can of Diet Big Red. (If you're from the south or waaaaay north, you won't know what that is, but it's off the hook.).

The result: I and a few others thought it was great!!! I did sprinkle about a spoonful of powdered sugar over the top. It was sooo moist.

I'm not sure what happened with yours. Do you think it's a mental thing? You KNEW you made it different... you KNEW the diet soda was in it. I have done that before.

Anyway.. don't give it up. Next time, try a different combo with a different mix.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I used to use diet orange crush and yellow or white cake, and put mandarin oranges on top. I never liked the ones made with cola.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options

My recipe calls for a box of spice cake mix, 15oz can of pumpkin and 1 cup of water. Mix and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350.
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    I've heard rave reviews also, and not sure it makes sense. Why would you use a chemically based soda when you can use 1% milk and a cup of applesauce and have a great tasting cake at only a few more per piece?

I wondered the same thing but I did try the diet soda though. I had replaced my oils with applesauce for years. It made it so much more moist. Great point!!!!
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    I have heard of this. Small can or large can? I assume you mean the packed pumpkin and not the pie filling with spices?
    try mixing the cake mix with a can of pumpkin. Its very yummy!
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    MMMMM

My recipe calls for a box of spice cake mix, 15oz can of pumpkin and 1 cup of water. Mix and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350.
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    thanks everyone! I'm a diet dr. pepper fan so I'm going to try it with that next or maybe a white cake mix with a light soda? sounds yummy!! =)
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    Not sure why you'd even try it with Diet Coke if you don't like diet coke to begin with. ALL recipes will refer to a specific brand of product, it doesn't noticeably affect the recipe by using home-ground flour as opposed to rogers brand whole-wheat flour, or by using Heinz ketchup instead of... what's another ketchup brand? Aylmer perhaps? I'm a Heinz fan if I'm going to have ketchup it's gonna be Heinz regardless of what the "recipe" calls for.

So use a product you like

well, I don't like Diet Coke but it doesn't taste chemically to me if I drink it, it's almost like the baking process brought out some nasty chemical taste, so I wasn't sure. I will do some experimenting!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have never had a cake made with soda....I have had funfetti cookies made with cool whip....instead of adding egg and oil, etc. to the funfetti cake/cupcake mix...you add whipped cream....and make them like cookies...they are yummy....
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to make the diet coke and chocolate cake until I read that when artificial sweeteners reach a certain temperature they basically become poisonous, i stopped.

I very highly recommend making your cakes with a can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) and if you want it a little fluffier, you can add 2 egg whites or some egg substitute. I make cakes, cupcakes and cookies all using pumpkin instead of oils or butters and everyone loves them, and loves them even more when i say they are lower fat and higher in fiber!