I'm pregnant! Now what!?

Options
How does this change my nutrition and weight loss journey. I still want to be active and I want to eat healthy. Please give me sound advice and tips. :) Thanks so much!

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Your OB will give you information, but in general, you should increase your base calories about 200 a day. So the eating for two myth is exactly that! If you're not obese now, you should gain 25-35 pounds through your pregnancy. If you're obese, your OB will guide you on that also. Continue to exercise, just don't add new vigorous exercise during your pregnancy. If you run now, continue to run, if you are doing Zumba, continue. If you've never run a step, now is not the time to start. Enjoy the miracle, embrace your body changes, be smart.
  • madzfulcher
    Options
    Thank You! I appreciate it your advice!
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! How exciting :) I have nothing to add except that kacarter is 100% correct :) I think you're also supposed to increase your water intake as well.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Do make sure to drink plenty of water. Continue to exercise for you and a healthy baby. The first person hit it right on the nose!
  • cahndoit
    cahndoit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also just found out that I am pregnant.
    THis will be my second child. My plan is to keep on tracking my food intake and exercise and to see my doctor ASAP to get guidelines about what my calories should be. In my last pregnancy, I gained a lot of weight and didn't track my food at all. I don't want to make that mistake again, especially because I am already overweight.

I was also just looking on the message board to see if there is a pregnancy thread. If there isn't, we could start one, since we would be due around the same time.:)Ariel
  • mimi10453
    mimi10453 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and I'll admit I've been going carb crazy! I'm trying to stay away but my willpower seems to be nonexistent these days.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I walked 3+ miles EVERY DAY while pregnant... ate everything I wanted ( which wasnt a lot since I was sick as heck)...craved broccoli everyday....

exercise makes vaginal deliveries a LOT easier....

I would restrict the salt and sugar as normal but otherwise not restrict the calories too much
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Congratulations! I also agree that kacarter was right on.

You could change your MFP goal to "maintain" and then figure 200 calories per day more than what it recommends.

Someone once told me that when you're pregnant your food should be "Twice as healthy, not twice as much." Sometimes easier said than done, but its good advice :)