Dips and pull-ups?

Options
can anyone do these? I am useless at them and can only do both assisted. I thought I was quite strong!!!

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I can do dips....not pullups though....someday......lol
  • inittowinit77
    Options
    I can for sure do dips but not quite there with the pull ups unless they are assisted ones. Keep at it and eventually you will be able to do it. :smile:
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can do about 3 sets of 4 on dips and now can do about 2 -3 pull ups. Things that will help with that is lat pull down, dumbbell rows, bicep curls. Assisted Pull-ups can really help too.

Good luck & God Bless
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    i do both, they seperate the men from the boys. when you can do weighted dips...
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to do pull ups. Not even when I was a kid and in good condition! LOL!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I can do about 8 pullups (if I do them either supinated, or as chin ups). I can do about 5 real pull ups at a time. I can do about 15 dips at a time.

As your weight goes down, and you increase in strength it will be a lot easier. When I was at my thinnest. I was able to do about 12 pullups, and 20 dips at a time.
  • bluk30
    bluk30 Posts: 37
    Options
    For dips, put a box or something under your feet so you don't need to drop as low. Work up to a few reps like that and then drop to a smaller box, gradually going lower every few workouts. It doesn't take long to build up to full range dips.

For pullups, do these instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-b4qOOWsE

I could only do two pullups when I started out but doing the rack pullups I could do sets and reps. It built my back up just as well.

*PS - I REALLY love dips. I don't bench press at all, they just don't work for my shoulder structure, but dips are great for me personally.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    like anything else, the more you do them the easier they get

FWIW - being able to pull and push your own body weight is always good thing
  • hedgertiger
    hedgertiger Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I done 3 x sets of 10 assisted pullups with 30kg assist and 3 x sets of 12 dips with 20kg assist. Im gonna keep doing them to build my strength up!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    i do both, they seperate the men from the boys. when you can do weighted dips...

Dips with a 20 lb weighted vest for 4 sets of 15. I can get 8-10 reps wearing my 60 lb vest. I can do 10 pullups with the 20 lb vest but need a chair for the 60 lb vest @ 238 lbs bodyweight. Pullups aren't easy, for anyone really.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I can do about 6 dips using a dip station and i can do about 7 pull ups now (working toward 10)!!! It takes time but if you keep at it you will get it!!! ;-)
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can do about 12 pull ups right now. I'm trying to work my way up to 20. It's been a long slow process. Keep working at the assisted pull ups and you will eventually get stronger.

The only dips I've done are tricep dips and I can do a lot of those. I need to add some regular dips to my routine.