Fitted Running Shoes – worth the money?

Options
2»

Replies

• orange_avocado
    Options
    I say worth it! Most running stores will fit you for free, then you decide which shoes you want to buy - I've bought shoes from around $80 - $100, not much more than an "over the counter" pair.
    Be on the look out for coupons from Groupon and the like. I saved $50 by buying a $100 certificate for half off - SO worth it!

For whoever recommended Vibrams: that's what I use now, but you still need to get them fitted. They don't work for every foot shape, especially if you have a second toe longer than your big toe, for instance.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would not get the inserts without a medical professional's opinion.

I love my local running store and have purchased many pairs of shoes from them. They "fitted" me many years ago. I found that I actually needed "less shoe" than they suggested...

If I were you, I would get fitted and make sure you are allowed to "test run" them at the store. If you like them and they feel great, buy them.

Your shins could be hurting for different reasons. Are you warming up properly? Do you need to stretch after running? (I don't recommend stretching before running).

Good running shoes are worth the money if they are the right shoe for you.

Okay -- I didn't stretch afterwards either.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You'll only have to do it once, that's all I did. I KNOW what I lke in a running shoe now and I can usually find a decent pair at the sporting goods store!

Shinn splints...running to far too fast...stretch those calves!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you already know you have a neutral foot, why the inserts?
    You could go to another store to see what they say, and just go from there. If you only beed a neutral/cushioned shoe, then look up the models of shoes that are built that way, try a bunch on & pick one.
  • cmorros
    cmorros Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been a long distance runner for over 20 years, and about 5 years ago I finally splurged for the "good" shoes. Definitely worth it!!!! Be sure you ARE fitted by a RUNNING professional, not just some salesperson at the sporting goods store. If you have one in your area, go to a running specialty store (for instance Road Runner Sports) and spend the time to get properly fitted. Good running shoes will run up to $140, but worth it (And don't be surprised that your running shoe size is 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger than your regular shoe - and they SHOULD be bigger. Otherwise you'll get blisters and black nails on your toes.) Good running shoes will DRAMATICALLY decrease any injuries to your toes, feet, ankles, shins, knees etc! Also, you need to replace your running shoes every 400-500 miles and/or at least every four-six months ... the cushioning breaks down (even when you're not wearing them - just sitting in the closet the cushioning begins to dimish). Also, don't wear your running shoes for anything but running - that also lessens the time you should wear them. (But once you've bought your next pair of dedicated running shoes, you can now wear your "old" running shoes when not running - they are the most comfortable shoes you'll own!)

Once you're fitted, take a jog around the store in the shoes, and keep trying on different shoes until you find the one that feels great out of the box. Running shoes do NOT need breaking in ... they should feel great the first time you lace them up.

As for inserts, you shouldn't need them unless you have some sort of diagnosed foot/ankle/knee problem. The cushioning and arch support in the shoes should be more than adequate. Having said that, if you have any recurring pain in your feet, go to a podiatrist and get custom fitted orthotics if prescribed. And if you do get orthotics, be sure to tell the fitter than they are going in your running shoes - they'll use a different lining appropriate for sweat. (I do have a diagnosed neuroma and use custom orthotics for all my shoes - that's how I know the difference. I have one for dress shoes and another for my running shoes.)

I hope this advice from a stranger is helpful! Good luck - and have fun running!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Okay, I’m trying to decide if I should fork out the $100 for shoes plus the $50 for inserts for a pair of running shoes. I wouldn’t call myself a runner, but I want to be. Over the weekend I ran a 5k (first time I ran in a month), and my shins are killing me. OKAY – the shoes I ran in are YEARS old. Typically, I don’t have any issues. When I run, I will run on pavement/streets in my neighborhood. If and when I run, I’ll run about two miles but hope to start doing three miles at least three times a week.

I went to get fitted for running shoes at lunch. I was told I had “neutral” feet. So, WTH? Can I just go buy a pair of running shoes from Academy and pay about $80 and call it a day?

I’ve got two friends on MFP…and I know… they will tell me to fork out the money. BUT, just wanted stranger’s opinion. 

Shin pain is usually indicative of over or under pronation (rolling out or in) of your foot. "Neutral" usually refers to the height and shape of your arch.

Definately get the custome fit though. This will help with these problems. However, inserts shouldn't be required for a Neutral foot. So try on and go for a short run in what ever shoes they recommend before you buy. If they won't let you run in them, go to another store that will.