Extended rest during a training plan?

Options
rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
I’m training for a marathon and my plan consists of running 4x week. Between work travel & resting a minor injury, I have rested (not run) 10 of the last 13 days. My mileage last week dropped significantly. But my injury has passed. My question is now that I am back on track, can I jump back in where I left off @ 4x /week, which at this point is some significant mileage, or should I ramp back up? I’m 6 weeks out from my marathon and not sure if I have enough time to slowly ramp up before my taper begins. And if I do ramp, would it be best to just drop a day or drop the mileage and keep a 4 day schedule?

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I ran the NYC Marathon...amongst countless 1/2 mararthons.

I am training for a 10 miler (3x week) and got sick and needed to rest.

I picked back up on the schedule at the appropriate week (meaning if I was sick during week 6, I skipped it, and started running again following week 7's schedule) and just reduced some of the mileage that week, instead of 8 miles I did 6, etc. (I know you are logging a lot more!!!)

By the next week, muscle memory kicked in and I was right back on track where I should be running the full mileage.

Keep the four days a week. You need them, just take this next week a lilttle easier and listen to your body. You're numbers will get back up there. And if you are feeling good and can go the distance, do it!!

Good luck!!!
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half and in week 6 of my training went on vacation for a week and didn't run at all. I had to reduce mileage for about a week, but after a week i seemed to be back to where i was. The first week back was more difficult, but along with not running i was also exhausted and had not been eating right while on vacation, which i'm sure also contributed to that!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your injury is running related, and if that's the case, I would take 2 weeks to ramp back up as to not aggravate that old injury. Better to be a little slower in the marathon than planned, than not being able to run it at all because of the injury returning.