Where to find strength training recommendations?

Options
I am going to set up my own home strengthening program. I have done nothing to this point and live in a rural area which makes it expensive to join a gym. I have 5# hand weights and a resistance band. Where can I find a list/pictures of exercises I should do, number of repetitions, number of sets, when to advance, etc.?

Thanks!

Linda

Replies

• SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I use free trainers.com they are free too
    there are pictures and explanations and you can even select that you only have free weights!

Good luck
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Self.com/Shape.com and Self and Shape magazines.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I had these all to help me when I was strength building. and remember lifting heavy weight is your friend! don't listen to those silly exercise magazines that have you doing 16+ reps lifting 5 pound weights

http://www.exrx.net helps find exercises and explains how to do them. Very useful!

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.ph a woman who runs this website and discusses nutrition and how to make the most out of strength strength training
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check out sparkpeople.com
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use free trainers.com they are free too
    there are pictures and explanations and you can even select that you only have free weights!

Good luck

Thanks, I joined.
  • lyarrow
    lyarrow Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I will be checking out all of them and hopefully have something in place this weekend.

Linda
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "You are your own gym" (I might have that a little wrong) by Mark Lauren (he has a web site you can google as well) it is all about body weight training. Also bodyweightculture.com has lots of stuff.