Am i too old and unfit for a bike?

Options
I am 48 yrs. old and my husband is almost 62. And he has been walking some, he is retired. I have not exercised in a long while. i used to do cardio and weight training/strength training alot, but quit few years ago. And i am overweight, i weigh 217 lbs. My husband and i are thinking about getting us a bike to ride for fun with the grandkids and ride for exercise too. We both want to get more active outdoors, especially get off this computer and get active and feel better. We have not owned a bike in about 15 years since we bought our first ATV to ride. But my question is since i am already 48 years old, am i too old to invest money in a bike since i am overweight too? Do you think it would help me get active outdoors and get off my lazy tail to get a bike and ride it? I want to get back into exercising and loose weight. I have 2 bedrooms full of exercise machines and equipment, so i have no excuse to not exercise.

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You are never too old!!! Go get a bike and ride. I would suggest going to a bike store and talking to them about your needs, then let them recommend the right bike for you. Biking is a lot of fun...you and your husband will love it!
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!! You are NEVER too old to ride a bike or get fit for that matter! Do it! Not only will it get you outside but it will get you fit along with spending quality time with your hubby and grand kids. DO IT!
  • werryanne
    werryanne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Never! Just start slow and very short distances. If you haven't been on a bike in a long time, you will probably struggle some with balance. That will come with practice and weight loss.

Great job getting active!!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I dont think you are too old for a bike, and heavy people can certainly use a bike too! So if you want to go biking together, enjoy the sun and company of your husband and grandkids id say go ahead. However it would be a shame not to use the exercise equipment at all ;) So use both, use the equipment to get back in shape a bit, and then go cycling.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think the bike is generally the safest equipment for "older" people - just make sure you can get started in a low traffic area -- after all, it is like riding a bike.
    That said, my father is 73 and albeit fit, but he takes ride of 50+ miles. Age alone is no restriction, and in all honesty, unless you are 4'5", 217 isn't all THAT big. I mean, it's not "bike crushing big", if that's what you are worried about :-)
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    You're not too old or unfit for a bike by any means. My advice would be to start off easy and work up. Exercising and losing some of your weight will likely add years to your life and give you a better quality of life as well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    48 isn't even anywhere NEAR old! :laugh:
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I do not think you are too old!!!! Read the article (link below) about a woman that STARTED training for triathlons when she was 48...still competing now (born July 24, 1930) and will be 81 this summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You make 48 sound like it's close to a death sentence!

I'm 49 next month, I don't weigh a whole lot less than you do, I have a bike, I run, I go to Zumba, the gym, you name it - I'll do it to make sure I have a long and happy retirement.

Get your bikes and go have a whole lot of fun riding them :)))
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    48 isn't even anywhere NEAR old! :laugh:

I totally agree, I am 48 years old and I think biking is probably the easiest thing to tackle when starting an exercise routine. Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and an avid bike rider with my husband. I started this jouney mid February and was around the same weight as you. If you have bike paths near you they are great to ride on since there are no cars. I meet people there of all ages even in their 80's. Have fun!!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Do it! What a great example to your grandkids. You'll be the "cool" grandparents, for sure! Have fun! I just got a bike myself (im heavier than you, by the way) and I've only taken it out once and didn't last long (it definitely uses different muscles). I'm going to just keep at it and up my time a bit each time. We can do it!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 years old and when I started this journey I had 90lbs to lose. I now am down 34lbs and plan to pull my bike out this spring for the first time in years. You are never too old, and , by the way, 48 is nowhere near "old". Do use your home exercise equipment though, you are so fortunate to have it. I use my treadmill everyday and it is helping me get in good enough shape to ride my bike:)
    Good luck!
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I'm 49 next month, I don't weigh a whole lot less than you do, I have a bike, I run, I go to Zumba, the gym, you name it - I'll do it to make sure I have a long and happy retirement.

Yeah, but you know there are people and there are people...
    If you feel old at 48, you probably are "oldish", ie. sedentary, with old interests, old joints and old thoughts. Most people with 48 consider themselves young because they do younger things, keep their body young (like you) and "think young".

But I believe with 48, you can probably turn your ship around, sailing it away from the cemetery and visiting a few beautiful places first. You just gotta wanna to!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    No, you are not too old.

I am 51 and burned over 4000 calories yesterday between running, bike riding, and walking.
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Yeah, but you know there are people and there are people...
    If you feel old at 48, you probably are "oldish", ie. sedentary, with old interests, old joints and old thoughts. Most people with 48 consider themselves young because they do younger things, keep their body young (like you) and "think young".

But I believe with 48, you can probably turn your ship around, sailing it away from the cemetery and visiting a few beautiful places first. You just gotta wanna to!

Yes I'm sorry, I maybe sounded a little defensive when I read that back.
    I didn't mean it to sound like that xx

Please just enjoy doing whatever you decide to do, anything is better than doing nothing. Good luck and enjoy it all xx
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and ride my bike ... to work, for recreation and to run errands AND I weighed over 240 when I rode last year. Sometimes I feel like Magilla Gorilla riding but who cares?
    Biking riding makes me feel like a kid and I just love it. I can bike for hours and never think of it as exercise. Except of course in a headwind. Then I'm @$#! my head off. :bigsmile:

I vote for definitely getting out there to ride with your hubby and grandkids. What a great way to bond with the kids and make lots of happy memories together while getting fit and setting a good example.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Also there are lots of new bike options. If you are worried about comfort or balance they now make adult tricycles. Some can be very cute. However, if you anticipate climbing hills this may not be a good choice. I live in a very hilly area, so a trike is not an option.

http://bicycleuniverse.info/eqp/
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    This weekend I went for a 50 mile bike ride with friends. 3 of the members in the ride were over 70 and then can ride much longer than I can. . BTW, I will see 50 this year as well!

Biking is a GREAT excercise to take into your "autumn" years. As a runner, my knees are breaking down and after a serious car accident a few years ago, I took up bike riding. I LOVE it and it has opened up a whole new world.

Start slow. Maybe cycle inside for a couple of months until the weather gets better and you feel confident. Then go to a bike shop and deal with someone experienced who can fit you on a bike properly. THAT IS KEY! You can spend a lot of money or just get a bike that fits you, is comfortable and makes you want to go out for a spin! My first bike was less than $500 15 years ago but after riding it consistently for the past 3 years, I am now shopping for a real road bike! My boyfriend rides a 400 mountain bike and is graduating to a real bike as well :>)

Happy riding!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Blimey you are only 4 years older than me and I am not even thinking of being too old for anything, damn. I only got my legs good enough to flash them again recently, I hate to think that I am getting too old!

You are NOT too old, goodness me!!!