Help me with my diet please?

Options
Hi, so my diet starting tomorrow (only difference from my current diet is breakfast)

Breakfast: Quaker porridge made with water (184 calories)
Lunch: Smallish wholemeal roll with butter (146 calories)
Snack: Sweet gala apple (66 calories)
Dinner: Varies but tomorrow, for example, I'm having Quorn cottage pie (366 - it's two servings but the servings are pretty small, haha).

My totals would look as follows:
- Calories: 762 (Goal - 1200)
- Carbohydrates: 126 (Goal - 165)
- Fats: 11 (Goal - 40)
- Protein: 29 (Goal - 45)
- Iron: 0 (Goal - 100)

I weigh 9 stone 3lbs / 129lbs and I'm 5ft3" and a 16 year old female. I'm looking lose around 14lbs before the end of June. How can I improve my diet? Thanks.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,435 Member
    Options
    For starters, you need some protein and your lunch is useless. You're getting pretty much nothing but carbs! (I yell at my kids about this constantly-must be a teenager thing!). Do you eat meat? You need to eat more calories overall (hard concept to wrap your brain around, but you do-you even show it yourself that you need 1200 and only have 762!) Add some protein to your breakfast such as egg whites or a hard boiled egg. Have a salad for lunch with some meat or cheese in it, just watch it so the calories don't go too high (no croutons, little to no dressing-balsamic vinegar is good by itself, no nuts). Add some peanut butter or other nut butter to your apple for your snack. Have a balanced dinner with some veggies, GOOD carbs (whole grains, brown rice, quinoa, etc.) and again-protein.
  • leannediet
    Options
    For starters, you need some protein and your lunch is useless. You're getting pretty much nothing but carbs! (I yell at my kids about this constantly-must be a teenager thing!). Do you eat meat? You need to eat more calories overall (hard concept to wrap your brain around, but you do-you even show it yourself that you need 1200 and only have 762!) Add some protein to your breakfast such as egg whites or a hard boiled egg. Have a salad for lunch with some meat or cheese in it, just watch it so the calories don't go too high (no croutons, little to no dressing-balsamic vinegar is good by itself, no nuts). Add some peanut butter or other nut butter to your apple for your snack. Have a balanced dinner with some veggies, GOOD carbs (whole grains, brown rice, quinoa, etc.) and again-protein.
    Hi, yeah I do eat meat. :) I'll try and have a boiled egg for breakfast but I don't have much time in the mornings. I'll also try having a salad for lunch, too. Thank you for your help :)
  • omegau
    omegau Posts: 6
    Options
    you're not eating enough calories and ur body is going into starvation mode. When you log your food is it telling you that you're not eating enough calories?
  • leannediet
    Options
    you're not eating enough calories and ur body is going into starvation mode. When you log your food is it telling you that you're not eating enough calories?
    Yeah, it is. But I don't wanna just pig out on junk food to make my intake suitable, so I'm not what to do. I think I would benefit from a bigger lunch but I only have 30 minutes lunch at school and not much time to prepare things in the mornings.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,435 Member
    Options
    make your lunch (and some breakfast stuff) the night before. I know how crazy mornings are and how tired you are but you are absolutely correct about not pigging out on junk just to get the calories in. Go to the search function and search for open diaries or public diaries. Several folks have open diaries that eat the same number of calories as you and you can go scout what they eat to get some ideas. Mine is open but I eat 1600 per day (some days more) and I'm a stay home mom with more time to make my food-feel free to look at it though. Also for lunch, have your mom get you either deli flats or nature's own double fiber wheat bread and use them for sandwiches. Lunch meat is high in sodium so get some low sodium turkey breast or ham. PUt some meat, lettuce, mustard (0 calories) and maybe a slice of cheese (I prefer full fat cheese, low fat just tastes wrong to me and I'd rather have the real thing just less of it) and that's a good sandwich for lunch.