Am i too old and unfit for a bike?

Options
2»

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everybody else says! I'm 47 and do spin class several times a week. There are 80 year olds in some of the classes! So from a physical standpoint, you can definitely do it and 48 isn't old!!! Just take it slow and get your balance back. This is a great time of year to start doing it too because it's so gorgeous outside right now (well, unless you have snow!).
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    unless you have serious blanance issues, there is nothing better than bike riding. I love it! can't wait for my 2 to get a bit older and be able to ride bikes properly so we can go riding on all the beautiful riding tracks around here. it'll be a few years before the exercise value will be much good for us yet, as my girls are only just learning to ride bikes, so it's very slow going.

no better way to interact with your grand children though, all the while instilling great healthy habits and hobbies for them, so as well as exercising, bonding, having fun, you are giving the kids great fitness tools for the future, no better legacy you can leave if you ask me.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The guy who sold me my bike yesterday was 77 years old and competes in triathlons. They guy looked great, was in great shape, and he rides all the time.

I am almost 40 and starting out with a road bike so I think you could definitely start.

--Carter
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to hurt my feelings? I am 53 and I have a bike. I even use it. Nice thing about the bike is you can go as fast as you'd like. Go for it!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    You are not too old! Get out and ride! :)
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think i may be a little bit more fit than my husband. I am in perfect health, but my husband is 14 years older than me and he has diabetes and high blood pressure. I guess i just kinda am afraid he will slow me down, and not want to get out and ride bike as much as i do. He is getting cold natured too. i hope i can get him to keep up with me.
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    Girl...who said you have to get a tandem bike? If he doesn't WANT to go...leave him behind and enjoy the scenery without him! It sounds like the exercise would do him good as well though and he may truly enjoy it.

If you are iffy on purchasing TWO bikes, maybe find a place near you that rents them and see how much you enjoy an outing together and if he might want to continue it. I did this with my roommate years ago and we enjoyed the trails so much, we did both end up purchasing (although I'll admit it took awhile to get my balance and strength in check).
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am going to get the Ladies Schwinn bike from walmart.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I am 55 and I ride my bike - LOVE it!. When I started this journey - I worked up to the bike with walking, swimming, Wii Fit Plus. Now I ride and ride! Do it!
  • brainzzz
    brainzzz Posts: 18
    Options
    This probably seems like an echo but, NO YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD!
    In fact, biking is a great place to start! It's a lot less impact than other types of exercises like running or even walking. Also, unlike your exercise equipment you get to be outside, in the world seeing sights and breathing fresh air!