Not overweight but want to lose weight

Options
I am not overweight yet I want to lose weight. I know what you are thinking. "I wish that was the case" or "You don't need to lose weight." These are the judgements that prevent me from sharing my struggles with other people. I have a psychological food addiction and something probably close to binge eating disorder. I have gained 10 lbs in the last 3 months. I really just want to feel in-control and to like my body and for my clothes to fit again. Yes, I am taking a selfish attitude and I want to enjoy a sexy body while I am still in my youth. I want to beat this psychological addiction that consumes 90% of my daily thinking. Ideally I would LOVE to lose about 15 lbs. I know how to lose weight, I know what foods are good and bad, I know which exercises are most effective, I know how to lift weights, but I struggle with this food addiction and sometimes pure depression to just get off my couch and go work out. If anyone else is in the situation I would love to hear your story or follow your progress. Support much appreciated.

Replies

• allimac09
    allimac09 Posts: 33
    Options
    I totally understand. Most people would say that I am "average" in weight. But I want to lose too. And I also have the food addiction. I broke down about a week and a half ago and finally admitted it to someone close to me. It consumes your thinking, and it's euphoric when you're eating. But there are ways to calm it, and for me, structure is one of them. I think I border on binge eating disorder as well. It's a horrible thing to have to go thru because food can't be cut out of your life like other addictions can be. Welcome to MFD, and good luck. Hopefully this structure will work for you like it does for me. I know what it feels like to just want to feel healthy and good. Sometimes I don't know how I don't weight A LOT more, and I'm sure you feel the same way. I noticed even my workouts were suffering from my eating habits and just feeling dragged down all the time. So far, it's been a lot better while keeping the structure of the food diary. :) Add me if you'd like and we can keep each other on track. Best of luck to you!

Alli
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! I know how you feel! I have a healthy bmi (although a little higher) I've hated just feeling a little pudgy. I was the super skinny girl in high school and I want to be looked at again like I was not that long ago. I also have an issue with eating WAY too much in one sitting. I can eat thousands of calories at once. This sight really helps me control that because I know I have to put in everything!
    Add me so we can help keep each other on track!
  • allimac09
    allimac09 Posts: 33
    Options
    World News Tonight is just starting on ABC. Sometime in this episode they are doing a piece on food addiction and how strong cravings can be. Thought I'd share if you ladies wanna check it out.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I am not overweight yet I want to lose weight. I know what you are thinking. "I wish that was the case" or "You don't need to lose weight." These are the judgements that prevent me from sharing my struggles with other people.

That's rather presumptuous of you to assume... but okay.
    I have a psychological food addiction and something probably close to binge eating disorder. I have gained 10 lbs in the last 3 months. I really just want to feel in-control and to like my body and for my clothes to fit again. Yes, I am taking a selfish attitude and I want to enjoy a sexy body while I am still in my youth. I want to beat this psychological addiction that consumes 90% of my daily thinking. Ideally I would LOVE to lose about 15 lbs. I know how to lose weight, I know what foods are good and bad, I know which exercises are most effective, I know how to lift weights, but I struggle with this food addiction and sometimes pure depression to just get off my couch and go work out. If anyone else is in the situation I would love to hear your story or follow your progress. Support much appreciated.

I think you'll find a supportive community here if you ask for it. But I wouldn't go around making assumptions first. Just be open, and everybody else will be open with you. :)

Most of us understand the idea behind addiction, whether it be food, drugs or alcohol. Please let us know how you progress.
  • o0oAliciao0o
    Options
    Yep that's pretty much exactly how I feel! I'm not saying it's "easy" to quit smoking or drugs or alcohol but at least you can avoid them all together and completely cut them out of your life. Food you cannot do that with and no one will reprimand you on eating because it looks normal on the surface but really it's not. You can't smoke or drink alochol in public or inside buildings (in general anyway, I am a student) but you can eat pretty much all day long and no one thinks it's strange. Structure does help me a lot, so I'm excited about finding this site.
  • mplh
    mplh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this topic describes me. I think I am a food addict. It is hard to talk about this with people who are overweight. they may even get angry with me if I talk about trying to watch what I eat. On the days I overeat I don't use my food diary. I can't face what I've done. I can out-eat most of my friends and family. I am obsessed with healthy food and diets and exercise, but I am not anorexic or bulimic. Is this a safe place to discuss these issues?
  • xoxokryssie
    Options
    I think it's important that we all realize that we all have different goals. I totally understand where you're coming from. I mean I am a little overweight, but not much. I would like to lose weight to stay more toned and to learn how to make healthy eating a part of my life, not just for the time being. So I totally agree with you. You don't have to be overweight to want to lose weight, just be healthy about it. It's okay that you have that as your goal! Don't be afraid to share girly :)
  • mplh
    mplh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement, you are doing great!