Snacks while traveling/vacationing?

Options
I'm going to NYC for five days, and I'm not going to be able to rely on some of my usual snacks to keep me feeling full and on my calorie budget, because we don't have a fridge in the hotel room! I usually snack on some turkey sausages or yogurt (greek or fruit-on-the-bottom), baby carrots, or popcorn.

Do any of you have tips for snacks that won't break the calorie bank, don't need refrigeration, and will keep me from gorging myself at meals? I've bought some goldfish crackers that I'm going to portion out into 100-calorie snack baggies, and plan on buying some fresh fruit, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I used to be a huge granola bar fiend but it seems they pack more of a caloric punch than they deliver in terms of satiation... unless someone has found a really great granola bar to recommend! :)

Replies

• SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Almonds are always good. The nutrigrain cereal bars are pretty good too. Umm... I also do things like rice cakes... hope that helps some... Good luck!
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    I like the Kelloggs Fiber plus - they don't break the bank on calories and have more fiber than most. I find they kill the hungaries! Have a great trip!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like almonds and raisins. Turkey jerky is pretty good too.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. It keeps you full forever! try it with apply slices, rice cakes, melba toast... tonnes of stuff!
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are a good option. If you have a microwave in the room or in the hotel lobby you could take some popcorn bags for an evening snack. Nuts and trail mix are good as well, just divide them in to individual portion bags before hand. If there's a grocery store near you hotel, stock up on some fruits and veggies. you can always use the ice bucket to keep things somewhat cool (like carrots and celery). I wouldn't trust the ice bucket to keep perishable items cool enough.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If you can get them where you are, a small foil flat pack of tuna, eaten with a crispbread makes a great "long life" snack.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Grab some planters "south beach" snack pack nuts or kellogs meal bar, they will keep you full for awhile.

I am partial to turkey jerky, turkey nuggets,
  • Candyrot89
    Options
    string cheese can last a little bit....trail mix! Its satisfying for the taste buds and lots of protein! A litte chocolate wont hurt...or you can just pick most of them out.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    These are awesome suggestions, thanks everyone! Can't believe I didn't think of nuts/trail mix. I'll grab some tomorrow and make up some pre-measured bags of those, too. Perfect!

And thanks for the snack bar suggestions - will check them out. :D