Heart rate monitor?

Options
I'm three weeks into my diet, and I'm concerned that I'm not calculating the correct number of calories that I'm burning when I work out. I know that there are many kinds of heart rate monitors. Does anyone have any advice about which kind is better? I'd like one that I input my weight, it takes my pulse, and it tells me when I'm done how many calories I've burned. I'd love to save money, but I'm willing to spend a bit on something that's going to work.

Tori

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT60. Spent about $150ish on it this past summer. But, I wanted something reliable.... Whatever you decided to get, the ones w/ a chest strap are more accurate.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 (?) I forget exactly but I got it at ****'s for $100 and worth every penny
  • MamaMonkey
    Options
    I got the Timex one and I love it! It was around $50
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7! Really you can't go wrong with a Polar. I found mine online cheap for $75. Well worth the $$!
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    check out: http:
    //www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

lot's of good info and the prices are not bad
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Polar RS400 got it from my Trainer like 3 months ago. Just learned how to use it, LOL!

No, seriously I see people mark all kinds of calories (like really high) and I wonder how they could burn 600 calories putting away the laundry? I like that I actually know how many calories I have expended. It also tells you what "zone" you are in, which is real helpful cause I know that in my lowest workout I am working 60% harder.
  • gypsythief
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You've given me some great places to start.

Sheila, I agree with you 100%. I like this website, and I'm glad to have a place to count calories and track my weight loss, but the exercise calories can't be accurate. I just want to be able to monitor myself a bit better.

Also, what's up with people "eating back" their workout calories? Isn't the point to burn off calories?
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hey there ... I looked at your profile and based on the amount of weight you're wanting to lose I'm guessing that you're around 300 pounds. The advantage for those of us starting at this point is that it's not hard to burn a lot of calories. If you're working up a sweat you're probably going to be in the 700-1200 calorie per hour range, so if you exert yourself for 20 minutes and your calories burnt are between 250 and 400, it's probably pretty spot on.

Now as you lose weight, of course, it will become harder and harder to maintain this type of burn. Part of that is because there will be less of you to move and part because your body will become accustomed to the exercise.

Congrats to you on making the decision ... MFP is such a wonderful place!