Dessert Cravings... HELP!

Options
Hi Everyone,
Some help please! I am in college and after almost every meal I get the craving for something sweet. I don't know why but I just can't ignore that craving, so I head over to the dessert area (btw its the biggest thing in our caf) and get something. I have realized it always puts me over on my sugar and of course adds more calories to burn.
What can I do to stop this craving? OR are there any healthier alternative you have found to work to quench the craving?
Thanks All :-)

Replies

• kartunes
    kartunes Posts: 46
    Options
    I believe fruits are the way to go! They make excellent desserts and contain natural sugars. Also, low-calorie Jello.
    I'm also in college and I try to avoid going to the caf and just making homemade meals.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I get like this too. I just eat weight watchers or skinny cow desserts at around 100 cals each, and yummy too! :bigsmile:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • janetv3
    janetv3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try lowfat desserts...........like the 100 cal packs..... or eat 3 cookies..... their about 5 grams of fat....
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yupp I am the exact same as you! I find some mixed fruit with some whipped cream is excellent and low in calories :)
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    When I eat simple carbs & white sugars often, I start to crave sweets like a mad women. What do your meals look like?

When I have a sweet craving eating an apple or yogurt helps me a lot. Also, does the cafe have sugar free jello? That may satisfy the craving for sweets in a pinch. Also, maybe have a lower calorie protein bar that is sweet.
  • Crys_00
    Crys_00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the 5 calorie Jello cups with 2 tablespoons of 95% Fat-free Cool Whip. It's around 30 calories and it's yummy too! I also like the Jello pudding no sugar added cups. They are 60 calories and come in a couple different flavours.
  • mfergie889
    Options
    Try and train yourself not to have dessert until after dinner...After lunch I will make some coffee which usually nips my craving in the bud. I keep all my "nighttime" food like sugary cereal and chocolate kisses in a seperate cabinet so I dont look at them during the day.

Just leave the cafeteria as soon as you are done eating!
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have 1serving of frozen yogurt (90 calories), also some berries with vanilla yogurt is yummy and filling. Good luck.
  • tlkoehl
    tlkoehl Posts: 27
    Options
    The new Jello temptations are excellent, and Redi whip is good too especially the chocolate one:love:
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I eat the skinny cow. Its my treat after dinner!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    I LOVE skinny cow!
    But they can be a bit pricey for college.
    If your on a budget, get the keebler waffle bowls (50 calories per bowl) and get one thing of stawberries, and blueberries, or banana if you want sweeter and some light cool whip.
    Get the bowl, put one tbs of whipped cream, load it with the strawberries and blueberries then top with 1 or 2 more tablespoons of cool whip and dash with cinnamon sugar, and
    NOMNOMNOM, and you can eat the bowl!
    ...it's awesome in a waffle bowl! a HUGE serving for about 100 calories. Or lower.
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    The new Jello temptations are excellent, and Redi whip is good too especially the chocolate one:love:
    I second this!
    I LOVE caramel, but this one tasted like vanilla. I loved the chocolate though.
    Freeze it and it's a 60 calorie ice cream!
  • medavis510
    Options
    Special K Chocolately Delight Cereal is good, as well as several of their Chocolate snack bars.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    maybe try keeping a little bag of dried fruit with you. because it's dried, the sugars are more concentrated, meaning it will be a lot sweeter tasting. it might help to curb the sweet cravings that sometimes plain ole fruit won't.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    if you have a mini fridge w/ freezer in your room, try vitatops. 100 cal each!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I too was having sweet cravings. I was also trying to find a way to lower my calorie intake in the evening. Like after 5pm. So one day I tried this. First of all I want to say I eat Low Carb. I have for over 6 yrs and have lost 70 lbs doing so. Ok, on Low Carb berries are the fruit that is lowest in carbs. So I love strawberries. I put 10 med strawberries (38 cal 7 net carbs) (I buy the frozen no sugar added whole strawberries @ walmart) in the blender. I add 8oz of Almond Milk. (40 calories 2 gr carbs) Splenda for taste and Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup (davinci brand) and I then add 2 cups of ICE. I hit FRAPPE and when it's done it fills up a HUGE mug like the big big coffee type mug. You could drink it but it's thick. I eat it with a spoon and I love it. I honestly can say I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and it's solved the sweet cravings and the evening eats. I'm so full afterwards and it's kept my calorie/carbs low in the evening. You can play around with the variations. Like you can add blue berries, black berries, raspberries. Even a bananna if your not watching sugar/carbs. Melons..whatever! Just add lots of ice and it's so good!
    Good luck
    Nichole
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I always feel like I need something sweet to close my meal. I've been trying to have a cup of hot tea with Splenda (or whatever sweetener you prefer). Surprisingly, it works and I even look forward to it sometimes.
  • lovingwoods5
    Options
    One of the best ways to get rid of that craving, if you don't actaully want to eat dessert is to eat a bunch of nuts( preferably almonds). Nuts contain fats which trick your brain into thinking you are full. I use this trick quite often.

If you do want lower calorie dessserts, I concur with previous posters.
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    I bought 60 calories Chocolate mousse by Jell-O from H-E-B. It's a 6-pack for $3~. Had one after my dinner and it's AWESOME! :D