logging strength training ???

Options
I haven't been including my strength training when logging my cardio. Should I be adding that to my cardio log? It's not an aerobic activity. Or should I add the minutes spent lifting weights and doing crunches to the cardio and then eat those calories back ...or not count them and let them be extra calories burned.

Replies

• jalfrey
    jalfrey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't count them and let them be extra calories burned. But, that just seems to be an easier option to me than meticulously entering each exercise. I also think that because everyone's muscle/fat ratio is a bit different, calories from strength training are pretty hard to count.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You can add "strength training" as a cardio exercise. I add mine. A book I'm reading ("The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler) suggests that women who lift HEAVY weights need an additional 300 calories on their lifting days vs. their resting days. You get an "after burn" for 24 hours after lifting HEAVY weights in which your muscle tissue is trying to repair itself and is more metabolically active and burns calories round the clock.

Hope this helps.

And PS - WAR EAGLE!!!!! :)
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If I know I got my heart rate up and I was sweating and felt like I got a real workout I enter 1/2 the time I did weights and calisthenics under calisthenics but I also do pushups- sit ups- crunches ect on days I do weights. Good Luck And God Bless!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • vmt90509
    vmt90509 Posts: 9
    Options
    yeah you should definitely be logging your lifting. You actually burn MORE calories with a shorter lifting program than you would walking or jogging. It needs to be with little rest though (otherwise known as circuit training) But yes def log it. Hope that helps.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training but I only count half the calories my HRM indicates. I do this because I've been fortunate enough to get a GoWearFit and the calories burned during strength training on that is approximately about half of what the HRM indicates.