Odd question about sucralose/splenda

Newmammaluv
Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
So I have to preface this by saying that I'm 25yo and I have had heartburn since I was around 11 or 12. So aspertame... very very bad. Causes liver and bladder cancer, which both run in my family, so I stay away from it like the plague. What I do use instead is splenda and generic sucralose that is popping up now nearly everywhere!! Which is totally awesome... anyway...

the darned stuff gives me heartburn!!! Like as soon as I know I'm starting to digest it I get horrible heartburn and even my crystal light binge (2-3 quarts in the last 2 days) has given me heartburn so bad I can't stand it! I know the solution to the problem is just stop ingesting it but does anyone else have this same issue???

Replies

• Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    You know I have acid reflux and I only have that problem with crystal light. I promise its something else in it, because I add splenda to my coffee.
    You could always take prilosec, its over the counter and is awesome for heartburn caused by acid reflux. It takes a bit for it to kick in, but it does work like a charm.
  • peepocheck
    peepocheck Posts: 57 Member
    no...I'm 60 and therefore have been around since sugar was almost the new thing. Seriously though, I've been around since all the sugar replacements have begun to be sold. I've never, ever had heartburn from any of them. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe you have a little something going on inside the opening to your stomach. Have you had a doctor check this out? If not it might not be a bad idea. Not trying to scare you....it would probably just be a little something that can be fixed easily and cheaply.
  • JMatGam
    JMatGam Posts: 11 Member
    Is it possible that you have an allergy to aspartame or sucralose?
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    i get mild heartburn from any drink with it in it...but i have to drink alot of it to get it...your best bets is to mix it up a bit..some plain water and then some crystal lite or flavored water.
  • porchwork
    porchwork Posts: 69
    Have you tried taking pro-biotics for the heartburn? Acid reducers seem to only make it worse and not cure it. Probiotics add good bacteria back into your intestines. That is where our immunity starts.

I use stevia as a sweetener. It can be bitter. My favorite is NuNaturals Stevia. It doesn't taste bitter to me and it is not artificial. It is a plant.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    You already know the "best" answer to the problem. I am not against sweeteners, but if it causes you pain (and damage) don't use it! Try stevia, or try lemons, limes, herbal tea, or some other natural flavoring that doesn't contain the sweeteners that cause you difficulty. Even a splash of fruit juice concentrate might be a replacement. Esophageal erosion is not something to toy with if you have a preventative within your grasp.
  • baker1
    baker1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I don't have digestion problems, but when ever I drink crystal light, boy does it do a number on me. I have to add more than 2Qt of water. I don't know why it does that, but I stay away from it as much as I can and just drink water.
  • Newmammaluv
    LOL I already know the solution to my problem I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem. Everyone that I know that I've asked says I'm weird! Which this of course I know already. :happy:

As far as an allergy??? This is a possibility. The first time I noticed this heartburn reaction was when I was having cold ceral at my grandma's house, she is a diabetic so she uses splenda, and I put one packet in and about 15 minutes after I finished my cereal I had heartburn. Same ceral, same milk I always ate just splenda being the differece. Ove the years I have noticed it more and more and until recently I didn;t use fake sweeteners at all but I am counting carbs so now I am.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    FYI Newmammaluv,

referencing your original post. aspartame does not cause cancer. There is no link between the two. I believe you are referring to one study done in Europe in the 80's or 90's that linked aspartame to cancer in Rats, but that study has since been debunked on several occasions. I know this rumor has circulated for a long time though, I assure you, it's not true.

here's the American Cancer Society's take on aspartame.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame

This isn't to say you don't have a problem with the chemicals in it. It's quite possible you do, but I wouldn't worry about that particular sweetener causing cancer for you. But since there's no aspartame in Splenda, you may want to look into other causes. I.E. aspartame is comprised mainly of phenylalanine where splenda is made of sucralose. While chemically similar, they are two different molecules and would probably not have the same reaction in the body. What might be possible, is you could be having a reaction to the chemicals your stomach produces to digest these chemicals (it's the same chemical) or maybe just to the rise in stomach acids needed to counteract any basic properties.

Hope this helps,

-Banks
  • Crystal light has aspartame in it- except the pure ones. If you are looking for something to add to water that does not have aspartame use the 4c brand. When I was pregnant, i eliminated all aspartame from my diet--and it was hard. I read every label and there are really only a few "candy" "sugar" treats that don't have it. Good luck...
  • Newmammaluv
    Wont let me delete my comment.... so just going to edit it to say...

No Comment.
This discussion has been closed.