So my doctor said....

Options
So I've been having weird back pain and just generally feeling tired and rundown so I went to the doctor this morning....this is what she said:

1. I'm doing a "great job" with dieting but losing weight "too quickly" and "not eating enough" and should increase my calories by 100-200. (sad face)
2. Losing weight rapidly can cause gallstones and that's prob. where my back pain comes from. (sad face)
3. I can keep exercising like I have been. (happy face)
4. I'm anemic, and may be starving my body? (confused "yea right" face, I'm def. not doing that)
5. Other things may be wrong and I'll know tomorrow when lab results come back. (worried face)

*SIGH*

So overall...not a terrible visit...but not what I was hoping for. >.<

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Wait for your labs to come back, but another possibility might be tight QL muscles in your lower back. I was having pain there, and was treated for a kidney infection that I never had. I had knots in those muscles and the pain mimics that of a kidney infection. It was caused by weak back muscles, hip flexors, and tight hamstrings...
  • gagejennifer
    Options
    No you definitely do not want that to happen. I've had to have my gall bladder out. And believe me it is no picnic in the park !. But good luck on your weight loss journey !.l
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Wait for your labs to come back, but another possibility might be tight QL muscles in your lower back. I was having pain there, and was treated for a kidney infection that I never had. I had knots in those muscles and the pain mimics that of a kidney infection. It was caused by weak back muscles, hip flexors, and tight hamstrings...

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!! Crazy.

And I am anemic too, I have to take iron supplements.
  • ladybuggal3
    Options
    It's always hard to balance eating the right amount of calories with the right amount of exercise. Losing weight too fast does cause lots of issues, but don't get discouraged. If you are being healthy about it, all results SHOULD be fine.... just turn it over to the Doctor's expertise and don't lose focus on the ulitmate goal of weight loss --- BE HEALTHY!!
  • kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had never heard that weight loss could cause gallstones but I've been researching it and apparently it happens to like 4-6% of people (especially women) who lose 22+ pounds....
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of back pain with gallstones. I had gallstone troubles and all my pain was in the gut.
  • vmt90509
    vmt90509 Posts: 9
    Options
    You can lose too much too fast (unfortunately) and what you are losing too much of is BONE MASS/DENSITY and MUSCLE (which you want to keep and build!!!!) Studies have shown that those who lose weight too fast are at a higher risk of gaining it back PLUS SOME than those who take it off at a slower, more methodical rate. Your DR. may have something there. If you are anemic (low iron) that is an easy fix either by increasing your iron rich food 9deep leafy rich greens or iron tablets) Anemia just means that your red blood cells are lacking the iron in them to carry enough oxygen to your muscles and organs in your body. Your body functions off of oxygen so if there is a deficiency of oxygen things can't run as efficiently...therefore leading to tiredness and that dragging feeling. it could also be lack of nutrients ( maybe hence the "starving your body" comment. In order to lose weight you have to fuel your body. You have to look at it as a fire in a fire place. The hotter you have that engine (your body/metabolism) through exercise and quality eating, the more you need to feed it to keep it burning hotter. As long as you keep your fuel levels "topped off" your energy levels will stay high and your weight will continue to come off. Keep it up though!
  • kmcoulon
    kmcoulon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing @ an unhealthy pace tho....about 2 lbs a week...a little less even.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I'm not losing @ an unhealthy pace tho....about 2 lbs a week...a little less even.

DId you tell your Dr. this?? What amount does he recommend per week?
  • mom2claudia
    Options
    I'm also wondering if you specifically told your doc that you were only losing 2 or less pounds a week.... That seems like a perfectly reasonable rate of weight loss to me...
  • blmoore21
    Options
    Are you making sure to eat "the right" foods? For example, lots of fruits and veggies instead of just trying low calorie diet based on sugars and complex carbs? I know this sounds preachy but a lot of times just calorie counts can still leave your body starved as the doctor suggested.
    I mean technically I can be on a low calorie diet sucking down diet soda and eating only french fries... :)
    Good luck girlie. Also I suggest the book "Eat this Not that" for tips on dieting and foods!!!