busy mom looking for support from other busy moms! :)

Options
My name is Jessica. I have a baby girl who will be 7 months old next week...wow! Time flies! Before I had her, I had lost about 45 pounds by tracking my calories. I used a huge 5 subject notebook and calculated everything by hand. It worked so well! While I was pregnant, I overindulged a bit...gaining over 50 pounds. Then when I came home, I used breastfeeding as an excuse to eat more and more. While I had awesome milk quality, I ended up weighing MORE when my daughter turned a month old then I did when I came home from the hospital. So, here I am, basically starting over. I have been using my notebook method since late January and have lost 17 pounds so far. My sister in law told me about myfitnesspal and I thought it might make life a little easier! My goal is to lose another 23 pounds to get to my pre-baby weight. I also want to tone up again. If there are other busy moms out there that can offer support or insight, please friend me!!! I can use all of the advice I can get...especially on exercising! I need quick exercises that give results! :)

Replies

• dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My story is very similar. My little one is 3 months old right now, and finding time to exercise is tough. I know I'm not going to always have to benefit of "breastfeeding calories," so I have to figure out another way to burn calories. I will send you a friend request, and anyone else to happens upon this thread can feel free to add me as a friend. Us moms need to work together!
  • hurley41010
    Options
    I'm a Mom of a very busy 2 1/2yr old :-) You've come to the right place to meet awesome people and get great support!! Friend requesting you soon!!
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Um...quick exercises? I need to know about those also.

I am using Yoga to cope with my busy life.

We will be friends :)
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You have been friended :) I am also a busy mom to a 14 yr old girl, a 6 yr old boy and a 2 yr old boy. On top of the kids I work part time (hoping more like full time soonish). It is VERY hard to eat right and exercise with SO much going on and so many other people to keep track of on top of it all. I am constantly trying new 'healthier' recipes that the boys like and don't whine about. As for exercise, I'm starting the 30 Day Shred in the morning. They are only 20 minute workouts, which fits my time constraints, and I've heard it produces awesome results. Plus, it isn't too expensive, so that's a bonus. :) When you need help, encouragement, to vent, whatever, give me a holler... I'm here a lot. :)
  • liddodanielle
    Options
    i just had a baby 3 1/2 months ago, and i have lost 56 pounds and i have no problem with the quality of my milk. i eat small portions about 4 times a day.. i cook brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread... anything that has a healthier choice is what i make instead.. even if the other stuff tastes better. and i serve myself smaller portions on a small plate, and i am always satisfied. i also try to do 20 minutes MINIMUM cardio a day.. i try to do more than that though. i do not limit what i can ea tthough, if i want a cookie, i eat a cookie. i just dont eat a whole box of cookies or anything. and if i eat something bad, i will do cardio again that evening for at least 15 minutes, but longer if i can. i prefer an elliptical. i bought mine for $150 and it's just so convenient to do it everyday (when my baby lets me)... if u need support you can come to me!!!! also, we NEVER eat out! i cook cook cook because anything i cook is going to be waaaaaaaay healthier than something from a restaurant... i have tons of awesome healthy recipes i would love to share also :) theyre all quick and simple, because i am the mother of a 3 month old! (plus, u know you burn 300-500 calories a day breastfeeding???)
  • liddodanielle
    Options
    good exercise is taking the baby for a walk in the stroller! outside on a nice day or go to the mall ;)
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    Busy mom here too! I also used breastfeeding as an excuse not to watch what I eat. I lost 30 of my baby pounds pretty easily, but having gained over 70 - well let's just say I still have a few pounds to lose (not to mention a few pre-pregnancy pounds I'd like to shed while I'm at it!). I started using this program a couple of weeks ago, and it really opened my eyes. I stopped breastfeeding in January, right before my daughter turned 1, and then we got on craig's list and bought a bowflex. The work outs range from fairly easy to pretty challenging, and you burn calories while strength training. We didn't spend a mint on the used equipment either. I do the better body work out, and this week, I am moving to a daily work out as opposed to the standard three times a week, 20 minute workouts after speaking with a professional fitness trainer. I also found some other tools online that helped me calculate how many calories I was burning during the bowflex work out based on my current stats. Obviously that will adjust as we move forward, but for 20 minutes a day, it's definitely something I have been able to work into my schedule after the baby goes to bed. Since my daughter doesn't sleep through the night even close to regularly, I set my work outs at night instead of fighting myself to get up at 5 am, and since my sleep is interrupted fairly often, I have no problems with going to sleep after I work out. Good Luck!
  • joilet
    joilet Posts: 99
    Options
    I have a 12 month old... i lost most of the weight within 6 weeks, but then it started to creeping back on because i was also guilty of using breastfeeding as an excuse to eat whatever i wanted.

i nursed for 9 months... that's developing 9 months of bad eating habits... so then when i stopped nursing i gained about 10 pounds immediately! now i'm trying to get back to pre baby weight...

i'll be friending all on this thread ;)
  • iamnowlaw
    Options
    I am a very busy mom as well. I have gained quite a bit of weight over the years and am struggling to get it off. The weight I have lost I have lost using T-tapp and running on my treadmill. T-tapp is great for busy moms because it is a 15 minute workout that is easy and works really well.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    hi!
    i am a very busy mom too... 4 daughters! i hear you on all levels... good luck with your goals!
  • crystaldegreef
    Options
    I friended you too... I swear... I thought I was the only person on the planet who seemed to GAIN weight while breastfeeding...
  • jnovak1
    jnovak1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Wow...I need to upload my photo soon here! Yet another thing to add to my "to do list"! I am the crazy mother of six children-8yr girl, 7yr boy, twin 6yr girls, 2 yr old girl and 1yr old boy!!! I am also a neonatal nurse and work pool! I also struggle with the time involved in preparing healthy food and exercising...whoever thought Mom needed me time? Husbands want a hot wife...but yet, don't want to help out so you CAN exercise, etc.!!!

I lost tons of weight breastfeeding! But about a year later now...I noticed that even though I eat like a bird...I am gaining weight! I realized that I pretty much put my self in starvation mode unintentionally and was probably only burning 1200 cal a day! Women who eat like that usually eat too many carbs. So, I did the research and found that the way to burn more calories is to build lean muscle through exercise and a high protein/low carb diet. I drink protein shakes in order to get about 120g of protein a day (and to avoid the calories/fat in high protein foods) I eat little carbs and average fat. I have started the Slim in Six program by BeachBody (PX90 group!) and love it! It has been a challenge for the exercise hater that I have been my whole life...but it is working! I am starting to lose weight finally!
    I think I need to get up at 515 am and do the 60 min workout then...so I have the day with the babies and my evenings with my older kids, etc. There is no squeezing in exercise time with the kids around at night! I am not a morning person, so we shall see how this goes!!! lol
    Thanks for all the support I am finding from all of you! Keep in touch!