Is it possible to be allergic to your own sweat?

Options
For almost two months I have had this rash all over my body. It's mostly in places where I sweat a lot while working out. It always itches but is much worse after working out. Am I allergic to myself? lol

Replies

• 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking the same thing! My skin literally burns when I sweat. My scalp was the worst, but I changed my shampoo and conditioner and I do NOT procrastinate getting to a shower as soon as I'm done working out. I have really sensitive skin though. I'm allergic to everything.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY doubt it but im not a doctor. you should defiantly drink a TON of water throughout the entire day though...maybe that will help
  • j_zanzig
    j_zanzig Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have to shower right away or I will itch my skin off. I haven't had it on my head just under my boobs, my armpits and a little bit on my arms.. my armpits are the worse :(
  • BarbKinney
    Options
    ME TOO! It's like hives all over my neck and face. Even if I just take a walk, my skin gets rashy. I think I need to see a doctor, I'll post what happens after I go. I don't think is normal for either of us!
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm always get a little itchy after I workout and I'm all sweaty, but nothing extreme and I feel fine after a shower. Do you think it could be like a heat rash? Armpits don't always get the most breathing room and there's lots of friction going on during a workout...try wearing a looser fitting tank top and see if it helps? Just throwing out an option =)
  • stephjohnny
    stephjohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your skin may be dry and the salt from your sweat may be irritating your skin. Make sure you are well hydrated and try an unscented moisturizer daily for your skin. Also the redness, could be similar to heat rash. If you go to Academy or any other sporting goods store they sell a gel that when rubbed on, turns to a colorless powder on your skin. It help prevent rashes like you describe caused from friction/chafing. Monistat also makes a product for this problem and it sells for around $6 at Walmart. http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Chafing-Relief-Powder-Gel/dp/tags-on-product/B0012ZNSWE
  • jmhigg1020
    jmhigg1020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a yeast infection on your skin, for some of you. It is from having the moisture there and not being able to dry, even with immediate showers. I got this between my chest and belly when I was very pregnant with my first child, born at the end of June when it was the hottest. Both of the kids had it briefly at different times that presented like a diaper rash, but Desitin didn't work. We were vigilant about changing diapers all the time, and it doesn't mean that you aren't clean. You can use lotrimin xl (otc) on it, just make sure that it's able to dry (like under the boob issues). If you go to a drug store, the generic is the same thing and will work just as well. If you find that it doesn't work, make an appt with your doctor and ask for a prescription for nystatin powder. :) Do your best not to scratch - it will spread, as it's the same fungus that causes athlete's foot.
  • RockVixen
    RockVixen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am honestly allergic to exercise. If my outside temps are too cold when I heat up during exercise I break out in hives. it's awful, itchy and painful. When I run I feel like I'm going to die. Even just taking a 15 minute walk does it to me. There are two types of this allergy. Usually when I work out inside I'm OK.

My doctor prescribed me Zantac but everything but Claritin makes me sleepy.
  • j_zanzig
    j_zanzig Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will go to the doctors and see what they can do for me. I don't know what it is..I just want it to go away!!