help me weigh my MEAT!

Options
kim_mc
kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
I measure out all our food on the food scale. But can anyone tell me....am I supposed to weigh my meat before I cook it or after?

Do I have to weigh the raw meat, cook it and then end up eating less?? Or do I cook the meat and then weight out 3-4oz??

Any help would be great. The packaging states the nutrtion facts for me but does not specify if this is uncooked or cooked!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Crys_00
    Crys_00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very good question! I have been wondering the same thing!
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    before! 3oz of chicken is about the size of a deck of cards.
  • iamnox
    iamnox Posts: 39
    Options
    LOL not what i thought it was.. but a very good question
  • crazymama76
    crazymama76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you should weigh meat before cooked...
  • dublvision2
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing, earlier today. I'll be checking back to see some answers/opinions.
  • boyazo
    boyazo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would cook it and then weigh it. I would rather eat 3-4 oz of cooked meat as opposed to 3-4 oz of raw meat.
  • katnz17
    katnz17 Posts: 45
    Options
    It's an interesting question because a lot of butchers inject water into the meat to make it appear denser then it is. Half the time my meat ends up shrinking to almost half the size with a great deal of water and juice left in the pan that I don't consume.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    before, and the leaner your meat the less shrinkage will occur. If you measure out 3 oz of fatty ground beef, for instance, then cook it you end up with a thimble of crumbs because the fat has cooked off. If you measure out 3 oz of lean beef then it will shrink a little but not near as much.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Before!
  • laylalana
    laylalana Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that many recipes which call for 16 oz of meat and are to serve 4 will end up with 3 oz. servings - because of shrinkage and water loss during cooking. So much of the meat and fish you buy is pumped full of water to bolster the weight they are charging you for... If I am shooting for 3 oz. serving, then I start with at least 4 oz. raw...maybe a little more depending on what cooks out of it.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    well since its already weighed before you cook it the package should have a weight on it, if you are weighing everything then you are eating what you weigh, cook it weigh it and eat it

have fun
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Wow I never really thought about this...I had always meausured after cooked...Who knew?
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Lots of different answers on here. My dietician says always to measure and weigh your food how you are going to consume it. If you eat something raw - weigh or measure it raw, if you are going to cook it - weigh or measure it cooked.
  • drowningsea
    Options
    Lots of different answers on here. My dietician says always to measure and weigh your food how you are going to consume it. If you eat something raw - weigh or measure it raw, if you are going to cook it - weigh or measure it cooked.

We weigh after we cook it as well. I don't see how it can be wrong, the only difference is the water is cooked out of the chicken, etc.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

never thought of it like that, makes sense to me :smile:
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    "If you are weighing the meat portion for purposes of a diet, weigh the meat after it is cooked, with any bone or fat removed. Generally, 4 oz. of raw meat will yield 3 oz. of cooked meat, due to water loss."

Read more: How to Measure Meat on a Scale | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7447912_measure-meat-scale.html#ixzz1IcLCMehS
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    You can weigh fish, turkey, and chicken breast after you cook it, because it won't lose much weight. If you eat pork or beef, I would weigh before you cook fat off, but I am trying to stay far away from those two.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I always look at packages..if it states "prepared weight" then I weigh AFTER I cook it. If it doesn't state this I weight BEFORE I cook it. If you think about it they don't cook the item then weigh it for their nutritional labels so it would be in precooked form.