I think my knees may explode...

Options
So I just started jogging last week...doing the c25k. It was ok at the very beginning but my knees are KILLING ME this week!! I don't want to push myself so hard that I hurt myself but at the same time I want to work hard enough that I build up the muscle and my legs just get used to running.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions about how to protect my knees as a beginner jogger and how to tell the difference between soreness and actual knee pain.

Thanks!!
Jennica

Replies

• sharon_1970
    Options
    I have the same problem! My knees hurt while I jog, until they loosen up a bit - but for days afterwards they ache. My doctor mentioned that as my weight goes down and the muscles in my knees strengthen the pain will lessen - but until then OUCH! I have been putting ice on them as soon as I get home from a jog and taking advil right before I go running. I also tried a knee brace but wasn't sure it did much... I think ice, advil, and not giving up are your best bet. If the pain continues, gets worse, or is really painful I would go see your doctor.

Good luck! ☺
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    can't help you with that one. i've given up on running because it just causes too much pain for me, knees, hips, balls of feet. to get my heart rate where i want it, it's just too much pain. last time i ran was when i was 20kg lighter than i am now, and it hurt so bad, so i'm not even attempting it now.

i can't risk not being able to exercise at all due to sore knees, so i just use a spin bike or a cross trainer to get my heart rate up, it's much less painful, and still hard work.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I started running. Oh the pain! I used anti-inflammatory rub, soaked in the tub and took painkillers by the packet-full. I was scared of doing more damage, so I scaled back the jogging to fast walking for a few weeks and started taking glucosamine tablets. After a while I restarted jogging and now I'm jogging 5k five days a week without any pain. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted!
  • lola4mk
    lola4mk Posts: 9
    Options
    You will be a little sore and/or stiff as you begin. Try aleve or soak in Epson salt to keep your joints working for you. You can also try an ace knee brace to keep your muscles in place while you run. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Be careful, very careful! If you mess with your knees, it may never be okay again.
    How much do you jog now, before the knees play up?
    Do you mean you are training to do 25 kilometers? May I suggest you drop that goal until your knees are firm?
  • AJ187
    AJ187 Posts: 2
    Options
    Start slow! I walked the first couple of weeks 3-4 times, adding incline and distance. Then I googled couch to 5k and this has been the easiest on my body getting back into it! There is nothing worse than over training and getting hurt! That will derail everything.

Good luck:)
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If it causes you significant discomfort, do a low impact workout like biking or an elliptical trainer. As you weight decrease and you strengthen, you can try your hand (or knees) at running again!
  • squink1980
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!! I'm going to try icing tonight and a soak in the tub and see how I feel before I jog again on Wednesday.

@Wakx Right now I'm jogging 60 seconds, walking 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes. I do that routine 3x a week. I'm training for a 5k (Good lord, a 25k...that would seriously be the end of me!). I'm thinking if the pain keeps up I may do what @AJ187 suggests and take a few weeks to strengthen my legs while walking on inclines and such. I do have 4 months to get ready for this race...
  • AngieAllTheWay
    AngieAllTheWay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As your weight goes down it will DEFINITELY make a difference. I had knee surgery (ACL repair) when I was around 270 lbs and when I got below 200, it was a COMPLETELY different experience. No knee pain at ALL. More weight does equal more wear and tear on your joints, but as your weight comes off and your leg muscles simultaneously strengthen and your fitness level improves more and more, you will be in a completely different body! Now that I've regained pregnancy weight my knees are killing me again as I run and are quite stiff in the morning, but at least I have the comparison from before so I know it's just a matter of getting the weight off again!

Congrats to you for doing C25K - my first 5K was so special to me, when I crossed the finish line I literally felt as if I had run the entire marathon. A memory forever etched in my heart :-)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If possible, run on a soft surface like grass over pavement. It makes a big difference over time.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Be very careful. I went to my chiropractor last week for an adjustment and I asked him about my knee. I told him I was thinking about wearing a brace on it. He adjusted my knee, told me not to wear a brace, put ice on it at night before bed. He also said to make sure I was using good running form,( I had him show me good running form) and he said to use an incline on the treadmill. I have not had any problems with my knee since. I even went to the park and ran at the track. I have never run before so this was all new to me. make sure you have good shoes, too. He told me not to wear a brace unless I had an injury. Your knee could become dependent on the brace and you will have more problems when you try to go without it.

Best wishes.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!! I'm going to try icing tonight and a soak in the tub and see how I feel before I jog again on Wednesday.

@Wakx Right now I'm jogging 60 seconds, walking 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes. I do that routine 3x a week. I'm training for a 5k (Good lord, a 25k...that would seriously be the end of me!). I'm thinking if the pain keeps up I may do what @AJ187 suggests and take a few weeks to strengthen my legs while walking on inclines and such. I do have 4 months to get ready for this race...

Four months should be okay, but only if you let your knee recover well.
    Agree with others: walk normally with incline or use elliptical in the meantime.

Good luck!
  • Zinzie182
    Options
    Just another small tidbit- you asked about how to tell whether to stop completely or push through? Generally, with running pains, if it is a constant, dull ache it's more acceptable to push through. Sharp acute pains, however, need to be addressed by a doctor, and you should stop running immediately.

Hope that helps!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I started running last August and I had big problems with my left knee being really sore. It would take at least 2 days for it to feel normal. I bought an elastic knee brace and it helps tons and on top of that I had to strengthen my leg muscles as I was a begginner runner. I also think my weight played a part to being heavier then,

Now I have no knee pain.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I don't have knee pain from running, but I did have it after a few weeks of doing TurboFire (high intensity cardio). I iced my knee on the day that it was really starting to bother me, then I rested for two days after that. I've been good as new ever since.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Bump! I'm happy I'm not the only one!
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    Might seem like a silly question but---- are you wearing GOOD running shoes?

I have been running since August started with the C25K - now am doing the B210K and I can tell when it is time for new sneakers because I start to have leg aches in places that shouldnt still be sore- when I started I was sore (knees ankles etc... then I was fitted for good running shoes for me) and the pain lessened... and now no pain until my sneakers break down and I need new ones....

just an idea.
  • jodymongan
    jodymongan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I had horrible knee and calf pain. I went to a Runner's Clinic put on by a local physical therapy clinic and they did a complete evaluation of how I run by video taping me on the treadmill. I found out that I overpronate when I run and also that my hip flexors were really tight. They had a representative there from one of the local running shoe stores and he had me try on a few different running shoes for overpronaters and then had me run on the treadmill in them and see which was the most comfortable. After finding the shoe that worked for me I shopped around and found the best deal on them. They also gave me some stretches to do before I ran. I must say, it made a world of difference and now I can run pain free.
  • sharon_1970
    Options
    I started taking Webber Naturals "Osteo Joint Ease" about 3 weeks ago and it is fantastic!!! I felt an almost immediate lessening of the day-to-day pain in my knees. I could go up and down stairs without discomfort. And today, for the first time ever, I ran without knee pain!!! They ache a bit now but it is NOTHING compared to what it used to be.