MFP Sugar Daily Goal

Options
Does anyone else have this problem?

MFP have set me a Daily Sugar Goal/Limit of 24g but I ALWAYS go over! But its not on bad stuff!!! For example today for breakfast I've had

Natural Yogurt - 8g sugar
Granola - 3g sugar
Strawberries - 4g sugar
Smoothie - 26g sugar

Bare in mind that this smoothie is made only from fruit and has nothing extra added to it so the 26g of sugar will be all 'natural sugars' this smoothie also gives me 2 of my 5 a day in a 250ml serving!

Do I just ignore MFP suggestion in this instance or are natural sugars just as bad for me?

Replies

• DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have this too... I eat a lot of fruit. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as you are not going over by loads you should be fine :)
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I go over too sometimes. Have u thought about looking into different fruits that aren't as high n sugar?

What about have a smoothie one day but ur other stuff the next and switching it up?
  • Rockin33
    Rockin33 Posts: 58
    Options
    While fruit is delicious and natural, a high level of sugar, even from fruit is not a great idea. The fiber and water in fruit may allow for a decrease in sugar absorption, than if you had a handful of Skittles, but it will still spike your sugar levels. And this translates into a sugar crash later. This creates cravings. Eat fruit. But in your smoothie cut down on some of the fruit and throw in green vegetables. Or even better, add whey powder, for protein. Protein will slow down the absorption of all that sugar. Also have fruit after balanced meals that contain protein, fat and whole grains. This will also reduce the spike/ crash of a sugar rush.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Or even better, add whey powder, for protein. Protein will slow down the absorption of all that sugar.

Thanks! I've just had a look at whey powder - it seems to come in loads of different flavours - does anyone know if the natural one is flavour free?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100&prodid=873&cid=141
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Even if everything else is good, it was depressing to see that red sugar number every day. Like you, I avoid added sugar and stick to whole foods. Even my skim milk has 11g!

So I removed sugar from my diary. No more red numbers and I feel like a success!