No more excuses!

Gilly18
Gilly18 Posts: 5 Member
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all, I've been on here for a while now via my phone but recently started using the site. I'm Dan, I'm 19 and a student at Reading uni. I used to play the big 3 sports, but then successive knee problems stopped me carrying on. Or at least, that was my excuse. Not any more - I'm determined to get fit again...

....But like most people I've said that a lot over the last few years, but this website has driven me on...and I figure getting involved in the community will drive me on just a little bit more! So here I am...:happy:

Replies

• Hey! *waves* I too am a uni student.

I see you use the metric system but I don't recognise the uni. So you probably don't live anywhere near me. I'm Australian - what country do you hail from?

I'm sort of still new - trying to grab some friends to help motivate me. What do you say?

-Kate.
  • Gilly18
    I'm from the gloriously drizzly UK, Reading is sort of near London ish...I'm actually from near Birmingham though. So I'm just about as far away from you as you can possibly get!! :smile: I use the metric system because lbs scare me...

I say let's do it! Can't have too much motivation or too many friends...

Dan
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    hi :), im from rainy Scotland :D welcome to the community :)

friend me if ya want

best wishes on ur lifestyle change

Kirstie xx
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Hi Gilly, I am fairly new here as well (only 1 week at mfp). You are right to get over your issues and get back into it. Anyway you can. This place has helped me in just that way and I hope the members her can get you motivated too.

I feel your pain around knee injuries, last year I was told I needed a new hip (which probably explains my knee issues over the years). Doc said I could either cotton wool myself up or get out and do everything I would normally be doing (and green lighted me on a range pf pain killers). It has taken me 4 months to successfully get back into it and I am sure you can get there as well.

lbs scare me too :) as to calories (we use kilo joules kj down under) google a good online conversion tool and bookmark it next to mfp and it will not be so bad ;)
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    hi dan from yet another uk user. its funny how we choose kg or lbs, when i was happy with my weight i used kg cos the number was smaller but since deciding i needed to loose some weight i've switched to lbs, cos even though the number is bigger, it goes down quicker lol
  • Gilly18
    Thanks for the welcomes all, I figured you'd be a friendly bunch! Ahh Kirstie, I'm very familiar with the Scottish rain...Fort William...not the best place to go for a camping holiday..!! :laugh:

Moon I know what you mean. The advice I was given by my physio was to not do exercise, and do the stretches he was giving me until my strength increased...I'd just joined the gym so I ignored him - I'm still at the gym, and not going to physio so which one do you think worked?! Haha. Good luck with the hip...

In reality I used kg because the scales at the gym use kilos and I can't work out how to switch them to st + lb....:happy: maybe one day I'll figure it out!
  • lbs scare me too :) as to calories (we use kilo joules kj down under) google a good online conversion tool and bookmark it next to mfp and it will not be so bad ;)

I have the conversion figures memorised to three decimal places >.>
This discussion has been closed.