more than 45 minutes?

Options
Read this on a professional trainers website.

"Also, 2-3 hour workouts are more than a lil overboard, as you can only maintain a productive intensity for a short amount of time. After 45 minutes or so, you simply cannot workout hard enough to stimulate changes in your body."

just wondering how long members average workouts are? I'm spending 1 to 1 and1/2 hrs in the gym with weights. Gives me a good workout with enough recovery time in between machines. Also , fits in with my schedule.

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was at least 20 minutes?

If I am doing a class it tends to be 1 hour. If I am running it is only half an hour. Gym work can be anything from half an hour to over an hour.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I think your body really starts burning at 40 min... that's when my body says "OK, she's not stopping, call in the re-enforcements" (Which of course are my fat cells). I like to go about an hour cardio and than what ever else I can handle.
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    I think it depends on who you are and what you are capable of. For us regular people, the 45 to 1 hour rule is probably dead on, however elite athletes are probably just getting warmed up at 45 minutes. If you are doing your best and giving it your all, then I say do it for as long as you can maintaining good form.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    In the marines, they always said do at least 20 minutes of exercise a day.
    I told my trainer I was getting used to the treadmill and was going to up my run time from 35 minutes to 60 minutes. He asked why. He said 35 minutes at the correct heart rate was better for burning fat.
  • Showgirl_8
    Options
    I do at least 30 minutes in the gym each morning and weekends are optional. I'm usually running around catching up on housework at the weekends so I may not be getting a workout but I'm definitely very tired by the end of the day!
    I'm also about to start swimming in the evenings. I want to go 4 times a week but the OH (who never exercises and only eats healthily because I'm the one who does the cooking) wants to start off going once a week and building it up from there. We'll be in the pool for about an hour when we do go.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    My spin class is 45 minutes to an hour. Which is just the right amount of time I think.
    I believe I read the biggest loser contestants spend 2 to 2 1/2 hrs in the gym when at camp, which is why they gain weight back when they return home. They are not able to put that amount of time in back in regular life.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    All the information I've read also says that you should only workout for 45 mins, so I run three times a week 3.8 miles in around 32/34 mins, Saturdays around 8 miles for around 61/64 mins...doing 30 Day Shred every evening including warm-up and cool-down 28 mins.
  • Dizzyone825
    Options
    I do about 30-40 minutes and at the end I know I could not do anymore .. I could not see going an hour unless it was walking.
  • shandy32
    shandy32 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I do different work out throughout all lasting about 20-30 mins if i can x
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    It could very well be no more than 45min doing one type of exercise, but not in total, and I think 45 is the max for high intensity type of workouts...... most of my wo's are a min of 45 and a max of 2 hrs, but that is doing both cardio/strength....

I workout 6 days a week for around 60min.......
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're hoping to gain, if its weight loss, any calories burned in the gym are good whether you can only fit in 20 mins and burn 200 kals they still count or whether you're burning 800.
    If its cardio you're wanting to improve it depends on intensity you should be working out at a rate which keeps your heart rate high for as long as you can manage.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything (and I can prove it!) but to my mind:

Any movement burns calories. If it's walking for 8 hours out of the woods, or dancing all night long or doing 40 minutes on an elliptical.

I think whatever 'body changing' workout this person maybe talking about is different than simple calorie burning.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I go for 30 min. to 1 hour of cardio 3-5x a week, and will do another 15-20 minutes of weights / strength 3x a week. I always say "at least" 30 min., but will go an hour if I'm feeling it (which I do, most days). I'm not basing that on anything other than an average of recommendations. If you look for "exercise minutes per week" you get a range of recommendations going from 90 to 420 minutes. For me, 150 min. / week is sustainable... and I often go over that. But I've picked a goal that I can manage, and I can stick with.

I could never sustain working out for 2.5 hours several times a week. Once a week or so, hubby and I will take a long, long, walk down the trail near our house... which is sometimes 2 or 3 hours. But that's a once-in-a-while occasion.

I'm not trying to dump all the weight / fat immediately, I'm trying to get the hang of having an active lifestyle that I can continue to live for a long time.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym advised at least 20 but also said the same.. with cardio you hit you max at around 45 min or so, and not to bother going over 60 min doing the same thing. He recommended varying the types of cardio.. ex: 25 min treadmill, 25 min stationary bike, etc.

I have yet to follow this advise..love the treadmill, total spaz when it comes to the elliptical and the stationary bike bores me...
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My exercise class is 60 minutes 3-4 times a week. That hour includes warmup, water break and stretching. I am also going to start 30 day shred this week.