How many of us

Atlantique
Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
are victims of child/domestic abuse?

Physical, mental, sexual--anything counts in this question. And those of us who suffered abuse in childhood likely went on to abusvie relationships in our adulthood, right?

So how many of us suffered this abuse? I'm betting it's going to be a huge number....

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Suffered physical and mental abuse myself. I am not in any way in any type of an abusive relationship. I actually shy away from it.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    mental, side of it for me, some physical but not much with my parents. Yep I had many girlfriends whom abused using manipulation and head games, then went onto one whom I was almost engaged to who went as far as physical abuse to me, in the end I wised up, got smarter and stopped the cycle and ended up with a great woman whom I love very much. I will not see it passed onto my children. In my opinion there is no good reason to pass on abuse because you endured it from others, its something you need to turn into a positive. I learned exactly what to avoid after I got myself healthy mentally and learned the warning flags which tell you to stay away.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    ive delt with domestic violence
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Just got out of an emotionally and physically abusive relationship in December.
  • I was in a mentally abusive relationship before I met my hubby. he was my first bf and it really messed me up.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    i suffered sexual, mental and physical abuse(started about 3 up until i was nearly 23!)...i took my abuser to trial for it and the judge said it was the worst case of child abuse(4 of my 5 siblings testified too) he'd ever seen and the abuser got LIFE(with a minimum 10yrs)

i actually went on to have one of the most loving wonderful husbands the world has ever known...he actually helped save me from my abuser
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    As a child, both mental and physical. No abusive relationships as an adult though.
  • I had an abusive child hood- watching my dad verbaly and physically abuse my mother... etc etc. Then as a young teen being abused in a number of ways by a "friend of the family"... no one knew it was happening for years, and at 13 yrs old I didn't know what to do. Eventually, after years of depression and self hate I decided that there were only two choices: Let it destroy me and wallow in self pity, seeking enablement of laziness from others, OR: learn from it, rise above it, become stronger for it and make myself a better person who would never stand for that again. I chose the latter. I never had an abusive relationship as an adult, but some were borderline by neglect of my emotional wellbeing... Now though I am so very happily married to a wonderful man who does everything he can to show me how much he loves and appreciates me every day. To those that feel like they are made to be the bad person by being a victim, you CAN rise above it. You just have to want to.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Sexual/mental/physical abuse as a child for me.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Oh yeah, then domestic abuse in two of my relationships.

I am breaking the cycle.

Also, I have decided that for my own, and my child's safety, I am not going to have children. EVER.
  • sexual and mental abuse from a alcoholic father and uncle, then married young to a drug addict and cheater that got physically abusive toward end of marrage I left after 7 years, then meet and married someone that was mental abuseive and a cheater with a sexual addiction didnt find that out till over ten years of being with him... So at this point my track record of picking good men hasn't gone so well..
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    No abuse in my childhood that I remember, but abuse in my adulthood. 2 bad marriages, the 1st physical, mental and emotional. I managed to get out of it after 2 years. The 2nd, well not physical, but I'm stuck in it.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    childhood yes, adulthood no..and im 37
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    I'm struggling to find the point in discussing the problems of my past. The abuse I suffered as a child is not why I gained weight. The reason I gained weight was I went from an active lifestyle to a sedentary one without changing my diet. My abuser is unrelated to my weight gain or anything else in my current life.

I think that we give too much weight (pun unintended) to the perils of our pasts rather than taking responsibility for our current circumstances. I don't want to detract from the severity of the abuse, but rather point out that maybe in a world of therapists we value our emotional responses to our problems too highly. In other words, rather than discussing how we got in ther war, now that we're here, let's grab a shovel, build our foxholes and start fighting.

Sorry if I've offended or upset anyone, this is just an opinion.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    as a child yes, as an adult no.
    However, I don't feel it has anything to do with my weight ... I chose to leave that stuff in the past where it belongs and move forward with my life. My weight is from pregnanc then just not trying to lose it after. AKA laziness.
This discussion has been closed.