mcdonalds

Options
We eat out a fair bit and with two small kids the odd mcdonalds at the weekend often happens.

What, if anything, do you guys get when there?

What low calories options do they have?

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if its not every week, then id just get a small meal of what you fancy, but take it into account when planning the rest of the days food
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    A hamburger (regular one, not Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, etc.) and a side salad doesn't do much damage at all. The fries are what will get you!
  • eri12345
    eri12345 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you go for breakfast you can get porridge which is good. They do salads at lunchtime but be careful to get grilled chicken and don't get the dressing. They also sell bags of fruit and carrots and cucumbers (you can exchange these for fries in the happy meal too).
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    i get the grilled chicken cesar salad and use the dressing sparingly... and no or very few croutons
  • bilsboj
    bilsboj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've gone for a kids meal before now - if you have fruit instead of chips and a diet drink its not to bad - and the kids get an extra toy!
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    I did the same last night - we were going out after work and had to grab tea on the go - it ended up being a deli sandwich and small fries. I avoided the fizzy drink and went for small fries rather than large.

It still sent me over my calories for the day but I agree, just budget for it in your daily amount. Or exercise later on to stop the guilt!!! :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in quite a while. I used to get a hamburger, side salad with a minute amount of dressing , and a diet coke.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    it depends on how many calories you can afford to use..use this

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/McDonalds_calorie-calculator
  • tcsteeves
    tcsteeves Posts: 59
    Options
    I get the Grilled barbeque snack wraps. They are not bad in calories and much better than crispy chicken. When I went there last weekend I asked for their nutrition information. It's on the back of the place mats they put on the trays. We brought one home. That tells you everything you need to know.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I usually get a salad (any of them) with grilled chicken and always the low fat balsamic dressing, no croutons.

Sometimes I get a regular hamburger and small fries. Or a regular hamburger and apple slices.
  • bitterbb
    bitterbb Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I did ww years ago I would get a grilled chicken sand no mayo and add bbq sauce. It was like 9 points. Calorie wise I'm not sure what it would be. Stay away from, fried stuff and mayo. HTH
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    Hey there. I try to annoy the people as often as I can. I order everything without sauce. The problem thoug is, that the meat has a lot of fat (taste ...).
    If I was you, I would try to avoid mayonese, and all other sauces and go with salt and pepper (this way, you'll see, that their food doesn't taste that good after all)
    I would avoid the fries, and all sugar drinks.

Stick to burgers, the smaller, the better, and just order them without sauce.

This is my way.
  • lfclancy
    lfclancy Posts: 46
    Options
    i get the grilled chicken cesar salad and use the dressing sparingly... and no or very few croutons

That is what I get too. My daugter gets McDonalds as a treat sometimes during the week. Then I try to just get her lunch & then I eat at home.
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For breakfast they have a fruit and maple oatmeal which isnt bad if you keep away from the brown sugar and some of the other additives. I tend to love their fruit and yogurt parfaits; at 160 calories, you can have 2!
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    grilled chicken on wheat bun and apple dippers, salads with fat free dressing.
    for breakfast I get oatmeal or egg mcmuffin
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Men's Health just had a McD's meal as a good breakfast. The egg McMuffin meal with hash browns and a coffee. Something like 430 total calories, plus the protein to help keep ya full!

www.menshealth.com
  • dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    the fruit and walnut salad or apple dippers are both great options!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If I go, it's a special indulgence. I have almost always (even before my lifestyle changes) just ordered a happy meal with a cheeseburger, apples, and chocolate milk. It's not healthy by any means, the burgers are seriously greasy, but like I said it's a treat once in a blue moon.
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    The Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad is fantastic. The dressing is also great and reduced fat. I only use 1/2 the pack and it is plenty.
  • SUPERSIZESWEETPEA
    SUPERSIZESWEETPEA Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Stay away, Mc Donald's is EVIL!!! LOL!
    Sorry, I just had Mc Donalds for lunch and it pretty much messed up my day, actually I can't blame McDonalds, I made the choice to go there but I would still advise you to look at another fast food alternative that's healthier like Subway!