Does anybody else's husband (spouse) get tired of calorie co

Options
I do best on diets when I count calories, and thanks to MFP it makes it easy to do that. I can figure out breakfast, lunch, and snacks no problem, but when my husband comes home from work and wants to eat the same dinner as me he gets a bit exasperated of me running to MFP to see if dinner will fit in my budget. Any ideas?

Replies

• pretentiouskate
    Options
    Plan dinner out ahead of time. Do you guys generally cook it at home or go out to eat?
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    haha...my boyfriend is the same way! i just figure a few moments of him suffering hungry while i calculate will benefit him in the long run, with a healthy meal!
  • Baileymqt
    Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We usually eat at home, and this a.m. I did plan out tonight's dinner, but I get this "attitude" because I have to come to the computer to plan my day then.
  • m2purple
    m2purple Posts: 38
    Options
    Plan dinner out ahead of time. Do you guys generally cook it at home or go out to eat?

I agree. I usually enter in what I am planning for dinner before my husband gets home so I can make and changes I need to and not be running to the computer every five minutes to check. It also helps me figure out if I need to squeeze in a workout before dinner so I can have everything I really want :smile:
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same thing, we plan menus ahead of time so I always know what i have to plan for during the day!
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I live together & she is forever rolling her eyes at me telling me I'm addicted to calorie counting :-P But I agree with the earlier post, try and plan it out ahead of time, that's what I generally do
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I havent encountered this problem. My boyfriend doesnt mind when Im sitting on my phone adding in calories and looking at vitamins and stuff. I think whats fortunate in my case is that while he (my boyfriend) isn't counting calories, he is really trying to watch what he eats.

In your case, I would definitely just plan the meals before he even gets home, this way there is no problem. Also, start telling him how great he looks with a shirt off in a couple of weeks ;) Maybe that'll make him have a little less attitude :laugh: :laugh:
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    Yep I think MFP although is positive like anything is time consuming to log everything-I'm always on my phone or computer trying to log-give support-or just getting ideas etc....I've learned that I'll just need to keep putting my health first if I wanna reach my goals and get healthy....hopefully it's just a minor annoyance.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    We usually eat at home, and this a.m. I did plan out tonight's dinner, but I get this "attitude" because I have to come to the computer to plan my day then.

It's only an attitude if you let it be.

Tell DH to talk to the hand!!

No one can make you feel a certain way without your permission.

You know what you need to do, don't let anyone stand in your way!!
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    My husband gets exasperated at times but I think he is coming around..he is doing his best to support me. I think this time he finally sees I am not messing around and I am finally committed to this! Try explaining to him how important this is to you and that his lack of understanding is not helping! also "you wanna eat what i make you do it my way" has helped me...lol but I am a sassy Italian girl.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Once you've been doing it for a while you'll have a little repertoire of meals and know how much they are, so it gets easier, but I do the food shopping and most of the cooking so he gets what he's given.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I try to log what I am making while it is cooking I do it on my phone, so I can multi-task to a point. My fiance doesn't get annoyed, he has actually pointed out to me that I do better when I obsess than I do when I am not being as strict on myself, so I am lucky in that way, he is very supportive. He doesn't count calories himself (although sometimes I wish he would) but since I am cooking healthier meals he is also eating better.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My hubby isn't counting calories, but is happy to hear me talk about what's in the food we're eating. I think it helps him understand his own diet better... He is trying to lose weight, too. Maybe just talk about what you're doing and what you're finding out, why you've chosen to use vinegar instead of salad dressing tonight, etc.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Plan dinner out ahead of time.

I log my food for the day in the morning! i know whats happening then

I take my husband a coffee in bed an while he is drinking it and getting up i go and log my food!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options

It's only an attitude if you let it be.

Tell DH to talk to the hand!!

No one can make you feel a certain way without your permission.

You know what you need to do, don't let anyone stand in your way!!

This is the right idea! lol... Of course, I know you probably want to keep the relationship ;) But, he should be supportive, planning ahead is a good idea, but also, just let him know you are trying to work it out and make it smoother, but right now you are kind of getting the idea of things and may have to check your cals, vits, sugars, etc. a little more often. Good luck!! My husband is so supportive, of course I had a lot of weight to lose and I think he is excited to see it coming off. I don't blame him for it either. Hope you guys can find common ground!!
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm currently single, but my daughter needs to eat and I do the cooking so i have a similar issue, but I plan the night before and discuss it with her in the am, so we have fewer problems. btw my phone corrected cooking to choking which is probably true when it comes to my kitchen skills.
  • Baileymqt
    Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. Maybe his eye rolling this morning was just a little too much. It would be nice to just eat healthy what he makes instead of having to count the calories. Plus I think the closer I get to my goal, the harder I work at it. I'm afraid of gaining a pound that I've lost.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I do best on diets when I count calories, and thanks to MFP it makes it easy to do that. I can figure out breakfast, lunch, and snacks no problem, but when my husband comes home from work and wants to eat the same dinner as me he gets a bit exasperated of me running to MFP to see if dinner will fit in my budget. Any ideas?

Figure dinner out in MFP first and then plan the rest of your food.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me to stop playing on my phone and I say to him, "Dear...I'm not playing on my phone. I'm losing weight!" He's slowly coming around!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oh boy does he ever! He said the other day he didn't want to hear the word calorie come out of my mouth, and he's also jealous of mfp forums. He has a great body and believes in eating a lot and exercising a lot. He's a great cook but doesn't measure so it makes it hard to count when he cooks and he gets upset if he thinks there isn't enough on my plate. It's a conflict that will likely never get solved. His tolerance is like zero now that I'm so close to goal cause he doesn't see a problem. He's out of town so I'm counting nicely but in the longterm I think I will have to do more like leangains or warrior method of eating to account for the large meals. I could argue more about it but decided to be secretive instead :devil: At least he supports my exercise and food allergies.